Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Just curious
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Choose one of these that best fit your description
Lubavitch  
 40%  [ 32 ]
chassidish  
 22%  [ 18 ]
litvish  
 7%  [ 6 ]
yeshivish  
 15%  [ 12 ]
modern orthodox  
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 80

Ilana

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:05 am
I didnt say they were the same thing I was just downplaying the importance of dress, and why we should try our best not to judge. yes, its hard to keep our focus on our self, but I think the energy would be better spent that way. why is it we judge poeple on the way they dress when the way they act would be so much more accurate. also, doesn't it sound like the Yetzer hara is hard at work trying to tear the Jewish people apart? To give in and say this is how it is and that's that is really sad. Of coarse dressing in a hat black and white, whatever-is a more respectable look, it shouldn't be taken at face value. you don't know how much I wish I could get through to people who are so judgmental. please everyone, concentrate on your own mitzvas. if we judge people harshly maybe Hashem will judge us harshly. I dont know maybe Im wrong about that, just a thought. The most Truelly Religous people I know, display the mida of acceptance-- and not just to lure them in. Just because it is right. there are all types of Jews and it's counterproductive to compare one to the other.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:18 am
O.K. Ilana Yes, I agree on most of what you are saying.
The way you dress is also part of the way you act and very visiable.And yes the yetzer harah is working hard. We all have to realise that when we ourselfs dress and behave as well as when we notice how others are dressed and act. It is not easy.

Ilana

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:20 am
I agree

amother

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:35 am
their is one reform jew on this site.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 11:40 am
Last amother
And your point is ???????
A jew is a jew.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 12:36 pm
maybe she meant reform converted.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 12:12 am
As I dress visibly chaseedish, I am sometimes asked which chasidus I belong to, to which I always respond,
"I am a chusid of de aibishter".
"No, seriously, where do you belong?"
"Seriously, I belong with Hashem."
"Come on, are you Satmar, Bobov, Ger, Vishnitz, what are you?"
"I am a chusid of Hashem. My husband likes to associate himself with (name of chasidus), and he davens the Yomim Nora'im tfilos in (name of sheel)" I think this basically answers their question. I am a chusid of Hashem, and my husband davens in this shul, and he labels himself such and such a chusid...............

Since my divorce it's so much simpler. Seldom am I asked which chasidus I belong to. Somehow, it has ceased to matter which chasidus I belong to. Oh well, the kids keep me so busy, I have more important things to tend to than finding a label for myself. And furthermore, the 'divorce' label seems to overshadow that of which chasidus I used to belong to.........which is why being a chusid of Hashem is such a sure thing, it stays with one through marriage and divorce and into infinity.....

May we merit the coming of Moshiach soon, when all yiden will be k'ish echad b'laiv echad!

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 1:06 am
Amen, but k'ish echad b'lev echad doesn't mean we lose our individuality. There will still be 12 shevatim.

batya_d

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 3:44 am
613 wrote:
I wrote my response to that question in another thread.
Basically, yeshivish is a sub-set of litvish.

Are you sure? I thought Litvish means your ancestors came from Lithuania, so it would be a sub-set of Misnagdim (non-chassidish)

Yeshivish is more of a hashkafa thing, involving a kollel lifestyle.

So one is a geographic distinction, like saying you're a Polisher chossid or Hungaran, and the other is a lifestyle.

But I'm also really not clear on this, and the term Litvish is thrown around pretty loosely, so I'd love to be corrected if anyone really does know the distinction.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 1:27 pm
Do Lubavitchers consider themselves Chassidish? They are Chassidim of a Rebbe. Please clarify.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 2:03 pm
and just to make it more confusing-
the Alter Rebbe- the first Lubavitcher Rebbe and founder of chabad chassidus was a Litvak!

rainbow baby

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 2:28 pm
Jewish and proud of it!!!! Oh yeah I fall into the Lubavitch group but love any Jew who ever they are.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
Do Lubavitchers consider themselves Chassidish? They are Chassidim of a Rebbe. Please clarify.

Yes.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics