Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teacher told my daughter OUD is OK to eat. Is it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

elf123

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 12:07 am
groisamomma wrote:
elf123 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Rodent wrote:
Considering that the prohibition has been done once something is swallowed there is absolutely no benefit in vomiting up something you may have eaten that is not kasher.

On that basis alone I don't believe the Moshe Feinstein story (that's not to say that there aren't rabbis out there that don't seem to know that halacha which is pretty scary). And someone else who may think that it is an honourable action to do is mistaken also for the record.

I have no idea if the story is true or not. And you are right about an issur.

But for kashrus there is another consideration - that what we eat becomes part of us and affects our neshama. That's why we are careful that little children don't eat anything of questionable kashrus, even below the age of chinuch and even when they are so little that they don't understand and there is no halachic problem of, for example, letting them continue to play with an electronic toy which they took themselves.

Are you saying OU-D products are "of questionable kashrus?"

I am. I think what OOTbubby said here makes a lot of sense.

Wow. I kind of don't have much else to say.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 12:40 am
ElTam wrote:
I personally know people who are very makpid on CY who hold that OUD is fine as long as the item is parve and it is strictly an issue of being made on dairy equipment. They are going by their rav on this issue, not making their own psak.

And as someone who lost her mother at a very young age and had a stepparent come in, I think you need to talk to DH and have him tread very, very lightly when it comes to overruling what your children are used to from their father. Of my siblings, I am the only one who has spoken to my father in the last 10 years. My father and I also had a very long period of not speaking. There were many issues in play in our break, but the new wife coming in and basically attempting to wipe out our dead mother's existence was very key. I'm not saying your current husband should stop keeping CY or that you shouldn't keep CY, but your children have already lost their father's presence. If they feel that your current Dh is undermining their connection to their departed father, you will have a much, much bigger problem on your hands.

I only mentioned her dead father because she had experienced oud before. I have had my kids in counseling because they lost their father at such a young age plus he was very ill which is traumatic. The kids very much wanted a father. I was not much of a mother. I had a sick husband and then I was very depressed. They look very much to my husband as knight in shinning armour. Their counslers all dismissed the kids. They are happy well adjusted kids. I try to speak to them of their father; but they don't have much interest. They don't have many happy memories of their father because of his sickness.

I hope this oud thing is nothing. I tried to find out more from my daughter today; and she wanted to know why I have to make a big deal out of everything. She did tell me it was in connection to Pesach.

My husband called the school and spoke to the head Rabbi. He is going to look into it.

chani8

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 5:05 am
If chalav stam was deemed permitted because CY was difficult to find, then this must be another one of those "how badly do you need it" psaks.

The halacha is that we are not supposed to drink milk from a treif cow or drink non-kosher milk.

OUD is giving us a hechsher certifying that it is kosher, therefore they must be reasonably certain that they are protecting us from those problematic issues. If they are not, then according to my teens, if they gave it a hechsher, any aveira is on the OU.

And OOT, have you ever heard of the term 'conflict of interest'? Perhaps you should have to be a moderator now to make up for promoting CY milk on imamother on behalf of your DH's business.

Fyi, I hold CY because it is readily available in Israel, but if someone offered me a reeses peanut butter cup OUD from the US, I'd eat it.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 5:36 am
amother wrote:
My husband is livid. I was brought up OUD. My husband is CY. My daughter does not want to keep CY anymore.

Can someone please explain why my husband is so against this? Does he have any justification? I can't understand the way he explains this. Is he right or is the teacher? I can't wrap my mind around this.

I just want to get clear here: did your daughter's teacher tell her, specifically, that SHE could eat OUD or did the teacher tell the class that OUD was kosher? Did your daughter ASK the teacher; is OUD kosher? Or did she state to the teacher, "My father doesn't accept OUD, may I eat it? Or; is it kosher?

OUD IS kosher. The teacher should not have told your daughter that she could eat OUD IF she knew it was chalav stam AND that your husband didn't hold it was kosher.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 7:13 am
HindaRochel wrote:
amother wrote:
My husband is livid. I was brought up OUD. My husband is CY. My daughter does not want to keep CY anymore.

Can someone please explain why my husband is so against this? Does he have any justification? I can't understand the way he explains this. Is he right or is the teacher? I can't wrap my mind around this.

I just want to get clear here: did your daughter's teacher tell her, specifically, that SHE could eat OUD or did the teacher tell the class that OUD was kosher? Did your daughter ASK the teacher; is OUD kosher? Or did she state to the teacher, "My father doesn't accept OUD, may I eat it? Or; is it kosher?

OUD IS kosher. The teacher should not have told your daughter that she could eat OUD IF she knew it was chalav stam AND that your husband didn't hold it was kosher.

The teacher said specifically oud was ok to eat, but that cy was better. According to my daughter, it was part of class teaching. My daughter is very shy in class to speak up, so I can't imagine she would discuss our situation specifically. The teacher did not discuss the issue in terms of kosher non-kosher, but in terms of ok to eat and better.

My husband would say something is problematical rather than not kosher. My relatives eat oud, he never says, they are eating trief. He is not a jerk.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 7:13 am
HindaRochel wrote:
amother wrote:

The teacher said specifically oud was ok to eat, but that cy was better. According to my daughter, it was part of class teaching. My daughter is very shy in class to speak up, so I can't imagine she would discuss our situation specifically. The teacher did not discuss the issue in terms of kosher non-kosher, but in terms of ok to eat and better.

My husband would say something is problematical rather than not kosher. My relatives eat oud, he never says, they are eating trief. He is not a jerk.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 7:14 am
HindaRochel wrote:
amother wrote:

amother

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 8:00 am
I think its your dh that needs you to talk to him instead of your daughter. He needs to understand no teacher is going to say to a mixed types of class that ou-d is problematic. And she did say cy is better. Maybe he feels insecure about dd because she wasn't born to him and he worries she wont always treat him like her real father. Who knows? Maybe deep inside he wishes not to eat cy and that gets him so riled up. I would focus your efforts reassuring your dh that everything will be okay, this will pass, dd will hear lots of other stuff in her life that you guys dont agree with, and at the end of it all she will learn the most from home. It is not good for his well being to get so worked up, there will be more of this type of thing, nobody goes through school with everything at home and school in 100% agreement. Sometimes its just better not to make a big deal out of everything. When dd said that a simple explanation of your point of view said calmly would be enough.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 8:35 am
chani8 wrote:

And OOT, have you ever heard of the term 'conflict of interest'? Perhaps you should have to be a moderator now to make up for promoting CY milk on imamother on behalf of your DH's business.

FYI, while my DH runs a CY company; it is a non-profit venture. He receives no salary and no profits from it (in fact, he pays much of the office operating expense out of his own pocket). They run it as a non-profit to keep the milk as cheap as possible so it should be available to as many people as possible. The only people who receive payment are the machshir and the mashgiach -- that is it. One other person helps him run it and he too receives on salary or profits.

So, while I am promoting CY there is no conflict of interest -- we get no benefit from it at all (ba'olom hazeh at least).

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 8:57 am
There's a whole section in the Blumenkranz Pesach book addressing this issue. It's not as if OOTBubby made it up. I'd like to know how Rabbonim who okay non-CY resolve it, if anyone here knows.

chani8

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 9:19 am
OOTBubby, it was a joke. But thanks for the clarification. You're DH is righteous. Although some might still consider the olam haba thing a conflict of interest. LOL

Gryp, they resolve it easily. They don't eat it. Those who do eat it, understand that those who don't are being perhaps more careful. Kind of like the hechsher battle. If rabbanut checks the ingredients and facility monthly, mehandrin checks every day or so, and b'datz requires someone there all day. Perhaps OUD checks the facility and the rules and regulations of the dairy (FDA approved), more like rabbanut, while the CY people are there checking the cows and watching the process on a daily basis.

Anyone know if what I made up is likely? It sounded good to me.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 9:38 am
OOTBubby wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I have never heard people who only eat chalav yisrael call OUD treif.

Please read the blog article that I linked to which explains this (has nothing to do with the pigs/horse milk issue, but rather with the problematic cow issue).

No, you misunderstood me. I am decently versed in the cy debate. I was specifically speaking about calling something treif. Just because you hold it is not kosher for you, does not mean you should call something treif. That is why I referenced my tuna example.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Mar 30 2012, 10:09 am
[quote="amother"]
HindaRochel wrote:
amother wrote:

Quote:

Well then the teacher didn't do anything wrong. OUD is fine to eat. It IS kosher. It is NOT problematic.

Quote:

He shouldn't be saying it is problematic. He should be saying "I don't eat non-CY. I don't understand why your dh was livid.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children