Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO shepherds pie...I think?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 3:20 pm
Dh has fond memories of enjoying something called shepherd's pie that was served for lunch at his school when he was a kid. The weird thing is, he usually hates anything made with ground meat AND he hates vegetables of any kind, especially cooked ones and especially green ones and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY cooked green ones. So I'm not sure what kind of dish that would be. Anyone have a recipe that he might like? His mom hasn't a clue what he's talking about and I've never seen shepherd's pie in my life, but the recipes I've found are either not kosher-friendly or made with ground beef and plenty of veggies. Maybe there's a trick to make ground beef and veggies not taste like ground beef and veggies???

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 3:21 pm
It's just browned ground beef topped with a layer of mashed potatoes.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 3:33 pm
Could be it was turkey or soy meat.
Also, ask him if it was straight meat or doctored, like sloppy joey or some ketchup barbecue sauce type thing. And to some people shepherd's pie is meat with mashed potatoes on top, no veggies.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 3:59 pm
The shepherd's pie I make is cooked ground beef with onions baked between two layers of mashed potatoes. Often I'll add fried onions to the top layer.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 5:48 pm
technically shepherds pie is made with ground lamb, not beef. Really, with beef it should be called cottage pie. (NOT cowherds pie)

I don't put a lot of veggies in my shepherds pie. just brown onions, add beef, add a little chicken soup (or water & soup powder) and salt and pepper. layer it between 2 layers of mashed potatoes, with fried onions and egg mashed into it.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 8:59 pm
that could be possible, that there was some kind of sauce added to the beef. I can't imagine that he would have liked it any other way, since he hates any other beefy stuff like burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, fried beef patties or even pasta sauces with ground beef in them Confused . I can see omitting the vegetables, but it doesn't make sense that he liked the beef just plain with only salt/pepper/onions the way most people seem to make it. of course he has no clue whether there was sauce or anything added to the meat, he just knows that he liked it, but it's either that, Scratching Head or else it was lamb, which is not particularly unlikely since he was living in england at the time he attended the school where he ate it. or else his tastes have changed since then What

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 9:30 pm
England has some sort of pareve kosher product they call mincemeat. I'm pretty sure it's pareve. I don't know what a US equivalent would be. I'll bet that's what was in his pie.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 5:58 am
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
that could be possible, that there was some kind of sauce added to the beef. I can't imagine that he would have liked it any other way, since he hates any other beefy stuff like burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, fried beef patties or even pasta sauces with ground beef in them Confused . I can see omitting the vegetables, but it doesn't make sense that he liked the beef just plain with only salt/pepper/onions the way most people seem to make it. of course he has no clue whether there was sauce or anything added to the meat, he just knows that he liked it, but it's either that, Scratching Head or else it was lamb, which is not particularly unlikely since he was living in england at the time he attended the school where he ate it. or else his tastes have changed since then What

if it was in england very possible it was lamb.

which school was it?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 8:43 pm
I'm thinking lamb or the parve mincemeat is probably what it was, and neither of those are happening in this house so I guess dh will just have to do without Twisted Evil . but thanks to my fellow detectives for helping me figure that out LOL !

londoner

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 10:57 am
mincemeat is the english for ground beef. It sounds like a school shepherd's pie which is generally just fried mince (sometimes with onions) and a layer of mashed potato then stuck in the oven. It is generally beef because it's cheaper than lamb. I tend to call it cottage pie when adding chopped tomatos and sundry veg. Nice warming typical english dish.

Ilovechoumous

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 12:11 pm
http://www.channel4.com/food/r......html

this is gordon ramsay's version. have made this a lot for shabbat, without the parmasen and substituted either margarine or olive oil.

its a bit of patchka but after making it a few times, I would just throw in all the extra's, but it is delicious. always gets eaten up.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:32 pm
londoner wrote:
mincemeat is the english for ground beef. It sounds like a school shepherd's pie which is generally just fried mince (sometimes with onions) and a layer of mashed potato then stuck in the oven. It is generally beef because it's cheaper than lamb. I tend to call it cottage pie when adding chopped tomatos and sundry veg. Nice warming typical english dish.

Londoner, can you define mince for those of us on other sides of the pond?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:33 pm
She said in her post that it's ground beef.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:34 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
She said in her post that it's ground beef.

She said, "generally."

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 9:43 pm
Her "generally" wasn't referring to what mince is, it was referring to what her shepherd's pie consists of. The word "mince" means to chop something up into small pieces, and meat is meat which can be beef, lamb, etc.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:20 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Her "generally" wasn't referring to what mince is, it was referring to what her shepherd's pie consists of. The word "mince" means to chop something up into small pieces, and meat is meat which can be beef, lamb, etc.

I know, I'm basically bilingual. I was wondering if mince might also refer to some special kosher soy protein mix or something else that you can only get in England. Because a close relative is sure that he's had pareve mince.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:27 am
I don't understand what you're asking. Mince is just another word for "ground". You can use whatever type of meat mixture, or pareve ground meat in shepherd's pie. It's just a matter of what you like, like any other recipe. I'm sure England doesn't have a super-special pareve ground soy meat that's any better than the ones already available in the US.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 9:31 am
Is there anyone from England who knows what I'm getting at? And who knows what's been available and popular over the last 30 years?

londoner

Post Thu, Dec 31 2009, 10:01 am
the "generally" was in reference to the recipe not what is minced meat. Ground beef is referred to here as mincemeat or more usually "mince". The only parev one I've ever seen is quorn (pronounced"corn") which is a brand of tvp (textured vegetable protein). I'm not sure if tival do a soy version but if they do it's probably called veggie mince. Growing up in a veggie household I never had anything parev called mincemeat. I would have been sorely disappointed. Wink

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Fri, Jan 01 2010, 1:15 pm
Update - So I had another talk with dh and coaxed him to think as hard as he can and try to remember what kind of meal this shepherd's pie might have been - did it taste beefy, was it fleishig, were there other veggies in it, potatoes on top, bottom or both, or what. so he strained his brain and remembered it was definitely fleishig, and had potatoes only on top. then after discussing it back and forth, he gets this confused look on his face and says, "You know, I think I'm remembering that I never actually ate the meat part of it, just picked the potatoes off the top and left the rest Surprised !!!!!" LOL... Men Rolling Eyes !!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics