Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Shimon OR Purim/Adar boy names
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 12:25 pm
We're conflicted on how to name our Adar boy (of course, no guarantees that it will be a boy or that he will be born in Adar, but we've had several strong confirmatory ultrasounds and the baby is due on Purim). On the one hand, there's family pressure to name after a non-religious relative named Shimon, but if we did that, I would want to add a name, so it's not the same name, and ideally have the combined name be the name of a rav or prominent person from any epoch. The other option would be to say we decided not to name after family at all and pick a time-of-year appropriate name. Unfortunately, Mordechai is out.

So.

Any suggestions for Rabbonim or prominent estimable people named Shimon ____ or ____ Shimon?

Or any suggestions for Adar/Purim/Nissan names? (We've thought about and rejected for various reasons Moshe, Nissim, and Simcha).

Thank you!

myself

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 5:14 pm
How about Mordechai?

INSPIREME

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 6:21 pm
I was also gonna say Mordechai - what is more basic than that?

Chani

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 6:38 pm
We named one of our children (born during Pesach) with the middle name Shimon for Rashbi (long story, but conceived first cycle after Lag b'omer of the prior year). If you bear in mind Shimon for Rashbi, then how about Shimon Elazar, with Elazar being the Rashbi's son?

Or, how about the righteous descendants of Haman's grandsons - Shemaya and Avtalyon?

mltjm

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 7:46 pm
What about the 3 people who went to set up bavel (where the Purim story happened) before the Yidden came? Ezra, Nechemya and...? (can't remember the 3rd one)

shnipsel

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 9:27 pm
How about Elimelech? The yartzeit of R' Elimelich from Lizensk author of Noam Elimelich is on chof alef adar which is right after purim.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 11:12 pm
INSPIREME wrote:
I was also gonna say Mordechai - what is more basic than that?

OP. Mordechai is out -- FIL's name.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 11:19 pm
OP

Shimon bar Yochai feels fairly remote, and since Elazar wasn't part of his name, I'm not sure it quite does what I need.

I didn't remember that about R' Elimelech of Lizhensk, who, it happens, is a direct ancestor, so even though we're not Chassidim, it feels right. And I like Shimon Elimelech. If the baby is born on or has a bris on chof-aleph Adar, we might well go with that and maybe otherwise too.

Still looking for more ideas, though! Thank you!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 12:00 am
Shimon Elimelech is beautiful together.

What about Binyamin who Mordechai descended from? Or Shaul, also his ancestor, though I don't know if you could get away with Shimon Shaul, especially if your last name starts with Sh Wink

LisaS

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 2:27 am
I second Shimon Elimelech. I can't come up with anything more beautiful than that.

geemum

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 5:39 am
LisaS wrote:
I second Shimon Elimelech. I can't come up with anything more beautiful than that.

me three

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:47 am
Moshe Shimon (for Moshe Rabbeinu's yahrtzeit)

Baruch Shimon or vv (as in Baruch Mordechai)

overworked

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 10:22 am
LisaS wrote:

my ds #1 was born after 10.5 yrs of marriage & his name is Shimon Elimelech after R' shimon bar yochei & R'Elimelech from lizensk

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:01 pm
I love Shimon Meilech.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 2:55 pm
Shimon Elimelech is a fairly typical combination for those who've waited for a while. I know quite a few with that combo.

shevi82

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 3:02 pm
Yair is the father of Mordechai. ("Mordechai ben Yair ben Shimie ben Kish Ish Yimini")
Yair Shimon,means that Shimon should bring light. I think it's a beautiful name.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 3:04 pm
shevi82 wrote:
Yair is the father of Mordechai. ("Mordechai ben Yair ben Shimie ben Kish Ish Yimini")
Yair Shimon,means that Shimon should bring light. I think it's a beautiful name.
Like.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 3:18 pm
Love the name Yair. Happens to be my ds name.

DovDov

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 4:18 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Shimon Elimelech is a fairly typical combination for those who've waited for a while. I know quite a few with that combo.

Do you know what the connection is?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 4:22 pm
DovDov wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

Do you know what the connection is?
Yes. Shimon after Reb Shimon and Elimelech after R' Elimelech M'Lizensk.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names