Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Unmarried parents living together illegal!

mumsy23

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 12:18 pm
Is the mayor of this town an Imamother member?!?!?! LOL

Town won't let unmarried parents live together

Wednesday, May 17, 2006; Posted: 11:41 a.m. EDT (15:41 GMT)

BLACK JACK, Missouri (AP) -- The City Council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

The town's Planning and Zoning Commission proposed a change in the law, but the measure was rejected Tuesday by the City Council in a 5-3 vote.

"I'm just shocked," Shelltrack said. "I really thought this would all be over, and we could go on with our lives."

The current ordinance prohibits more than three people from living together unless they are related by "blood, marriage or adoption." The defeated measure would have changed the definition of a family to include unmarried couples with two or more children.

Mayor Norman McCourt declined to be interviewed but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.

Black Jack's special counsel, Sheldon Stock, declined to say whether the city will seek to remove Loving and Shelltrack from their home.

sister

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 12:21 pm
Crazy! Crying

supermommy

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 12:51 pm
if they have children together and they plan to live in the same house why are they not married? Is it so hard to just go ahead and sign a marriage contract?(we are talking about non jews here) Scratching Head I'm just a little confused.

chen

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 1:07 pm
I don't understand. If the two adults are both parents of all three children, surely there are only 2 people living together unrelated by blood, marriage, or adoption? the children are all related to each other and to the parents by blood, so what's the problem?

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 2:05 pm
supermommy wrote:
if they have children together and they plan to live in the same house why are they not married? Is it so hard to just go ahead and sign a marriage contract?(we are talking about non jews here) Scratching Head I'm just a little confused.

-some don't think about it or think it changes nothing (now they will do it)
- some think it's just too long and boring to do so (they probably will)
- some are against because they think it's not the state's business/are against any form of govt (they probably won't)

MommyLuv

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:09 pm
sorry but this sounds sooooo unconstitutional.....we don't live under the taliban!!

Nachisdoll

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:28 pm
people seem to think its way more confining, binding, hard...if there actually married...its seems that in the out side world....commitment is a way bigger deal then ours...(silly though cuz if they have kids together...um thats a commitment...but then again lots of ppl dont think it is!)

nicole81

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:37 pm
not saying this is the case, but it's also much easier to qualify for state aid such as medicaid, wic, etc. if you are technically unmarried.

I hope they appeal this law to a higher court. a landlord has the right to dictate who lives on their property but the government does not have the right to decide who lives in privately owned homes.

Nachisdoll

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 5:50 pm
I agee

Inspired

Post Wed, May 17 2006, 6:27 pm
Mumsy, you see this as a good thing??

amother

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 4:24 am
I live in st. Louis and it just happens to be that we have a lot of really silly and annoying laws

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 8:41 am
I think laws like this are intended to keep, say, 10 college students from living together in one dwelling.

brooklyn

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 8:48 am
It is not the govt' splace to dictate who can and who cannot live together. What's next a few good burnings at the stake for living in sin?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 6:14 am
in today's world, where there are soooo many different family make ups, how can anyone tell ppl who can live with whom?
and there are ppl who just dont find marriage "their thing".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics