Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Moving to new home - Gifts you would appreciate

amother

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 2:17 am
What kind of gifts would you appreciate recieving when moving to a new home?
Thanks for your input.

willow

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 3:26 am
Oh wow I would appreciate anything Wink
From gifts that r really helpful like Dinner( who has time to cook when moving?) to taking their kids out to keep them from getting in the way.
Or you can go with tradtional house-warming present like vases, oven mitts, gift card to bed bath and beyond....
You realiy can not go wrong. Why who is moving? Wink Wink

supermom

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 5:53 am
mezuzah case, or the whole mezuzah. or just the mezuzah itself with out the case.

A basket of warm out of the oven or fresh bread from the store, or even a basket full of cakes and cookies.

binah918

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 5:58 am
I HATE getting chatchkies! Whether moving to a new house, for a B-Day present, etc... Unless a person REALLY knows my taste and what I NEED, I would much rather get something consumable, (food, flowers, etc.) or a gift certificate that lets me choose what I want on my own. (Bed, Bath and Beyond is always great!) For my B-Day my MIL had no idea what to get me b/c I made it very clear I didn't want chatchkies that would just take more of my prescious time needing to be dusted, (or more likely, they would collect dust!). Finally she decided to send me to a spa for a facial! It was the best present I ever got! Maybe for a house warming gift consider a "gift certificate" for a few hours of cleaning help! Always appreciated when you're so overwhelmed with unpacking and getting settled!

willow

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 6:25 am
binah918 wrote:
I HATE getting chatchkies!
Quote:
( I agree it can be annoying)..
she decided to send me to a spa for a facial! It was the best present I ever got! Maybe for a house warming gift consider a "gift certificate" for a few hours of cleaning help! Always appreciated when you're so overwhelmed with unpacking and getting settled!

Great ideas.
Another idea I had is flowers or a really pretty houseplant.

chen

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 8:17 am
binah, you are a woman after my own heart! Very few people really need any of the junk that is marketed as "housewarming gifts," but who can't use food or a helping hand, especially after a move?

To make a doing-something-for-you gift more "official," design a "gift certificate" or "coupon" stating what the service is that you are going to provide, e.g., "good for one weekday dinner for one family," "good for three hours of babysitting", and put in a colorful envelope or gift box.

Someone in my neighborhood did just that as a chessed to a young married who had recently given birth to twins. Knowing that the new mother had no family near by, and that she probably had zero opportunity to go out (it is not easy to get a babysitter for twins), my friend gave her a "coupon book" with about a dozen coupons, each good for one hour of babysitting.

queen

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 8:28 am
binah- I am all with you.
As one who is constantly trying to get rid of clutter and keep my home nice and orderly - tzatchkas are not what make me happy.
I keep a box in the basement of tzatchkas.... and then find some creative way to regift when needed.

shoy18

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 9:31 am
the last housewarming gift we gave was an undercounter cd player for thier kitchen, unless they ahve one already its a great gift.

shopaholic

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 10:47 am
As for mezuza cases, if it's a Lubavitchger, we were just told that clear cases (so you can see the parchment) is preferred. Our Sofer who hung up our mezuzas in our new home last week told us this.

tziviakayla

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 10:50 am
I think gift certificates to a home store would make a nice gift. They can choose what they need in their new home rather than receiving something that may not fit well with their taste. Gift certficates in amounts like $18. 36, 54, 72, etc...are always a nice touch if the person is Jewish!

timeout

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 4:53 pm
how bout an invitation for the first Shabbos ehn all your stuff is still a mess and u have no energy to do anything anyways Very Happy

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 5:02 pm
I think the gift certificate for a restaurant is a great idea, or bring over some meals.

I think a gift certificate for a cleaning service, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, or something similar would be great. (That's what I'd want).

nicole81

Post Thu, May 18 2006, 5:22 pm
I just moved this weekend. mezuzahs are a nice idea, and definitely the food idea. we spent a TON of money ordering in the first 2 days. depending on where they're moving from and what they're moving into, a gift certificate to any store that carries home furnishings would be nice. if you're moving into a bigger place, sometimes it's daunting filling up all the space.

willow

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 2:07 am
mazel tov enjoy your new home

technic

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 3:18 am
timeout wrote:
how bout an invitation for the first Shabbos ehn all your stuff is still a mess and u have no energy to do anything anyways Very Happy

somebody did this 4 us and it meant SO much!!! Very Happy

willow

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 3:30 am
we moved in eruv shabbos and our new neighbors had us for all the meals.It was so apprciated as we could never had done it. After that I thought when someone moves in I am going to bring them a basket of food and drinks ( not junk!!) b/c u really need the energy when unpacking.

chen

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 8:12 am
willow wrote:
I am going to bring them a basket of food and drinks ( not junk!!)

Thumbs Up

imale

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 8:47 am
We moved about a year ago and here they wait till you make a welcoming party so everyone can come see the house and bring a gift (sort of like a chanukat bayit), well I made it clear to everyone - no gifts. period. so smart ppl that they were, all brought cash! LOL

willow

Post Fri, May 19 2006, 9:43 am
oh yeah you go girl. 8)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics