Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tuna for Baby

misteray

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 5:05 pm
I've given my almost 9 mo light canned tuna before in very small quantities ie. maybe 2-3 tablespoons during the meal, and about once e/ week or two. My ped told me at his 6 month well-visit that I can give him a/t and e/t besides honey. I totally do not do that, but I do give him many many different kinds of foods- for sure!

I just want to be sure I am not giving him too much- though I don't think so. Have any of you ladies given tuna that young? (oh and I don't put a/t in it, just serve it with cut up noodles or bread) WDYT?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 5:15 pm
Acc. to my doctor, no fish before 1 yo. So that's what I follow...

ven

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 5:18 pm
so weird that advises for infants are so different. where I live they recommend giving fish more then once week starting from age 6 months. honey is a big no no

Flowerpot

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 6:21 pm
I wouldnt give canned fish yet.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 7:10 pm
I gave the frozen Dagim sole fillets, which could be well cooked . Never thought about canned tuna.

OldYoung

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:41 pm
I also heard no fish until 1, along with other foods like nuts or dairy that could trigger allergic reactions. PS- we introduced nuts at a year, and my daughter had a reaction, so even though she's two already we've waited on the fish. (Dairy is no problem.)

curlytop

Post Sun, Dec 20 2009, 8:42 pm
I was also told only at 1.

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 2:55 am
We do allergy testing before they start daycare (3/4 months), so we know what's clear and what's not. No honey before 2, but that's not allergy based. Dairy, fish, and eggs we start around 9 months, but that's convenience. If you know there's no medical issue then there's no reason to hold off. My kids LOVE tuna.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:12 am
Isn't there also the mercury aspect? As pregnant women we're not supposed to eat tuna all that often, so what about giving it regularly to your infant?

jerusalem mother

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:15 am
I gave it to dd had no problems, also gave gefilte fish.
give her almost everything besides milk and honey.
she's 11 months but gave already from 9 months

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:26 am
also, gefilte is different than other fish as it's made with eggs, so be careful with that re. allergies.

misteray

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 10:15 am
I guess ven is right and e/o does different things and follows different opinions...

But thanks for all the replies and I will ask my ped by ds's 9 m well visit.

Also, what about those that give baby yogurt (ie yobaby)- do they give milk before one year old?

pinkbubbles

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 11:02 am
what about the sodium? check the can to see if it has too much salt. babies can't process it if its too much and it could be dangerous. I give my 14 month old very little tuna because of this, and only 1-2 times a week.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 11:54 am
I would wait until at least 1 year of age for any fish. But somehow tuna from a can... I would wait much longer than that.
And I would definately wait until baby is 1 before giving cow's milk and products made from cow's milk.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Dec 21 2009, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 11:55 am
I don't give baby yogurt because it's sweetened. I give plain yogurt though. And yes, my kids get dairy (though not real milk until they're weaned from the breast) before a year. Again, a lot of the concern is allergy/intolerance based, and we test those very, very early.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:02 pm
We started fish around 8/10 months.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:10 pm
misteray wrote:
I guess ven is right and e/o does different things and follows different opinions...

But thanks for all the replies and I will ask my ped by ds's 9 m well visit.

Also, what about those that give baby yogurt (ie yobaby)- do they give milk before one year old?

We gave (according to my doctor) yogurt at 9 months. It's cottage cheese, cheese, and yogurt then, and then at 1 yo, milk. I don't know why it's different, but that's what they say.

jerusalem mother

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 3:14 am
in israel they say you can give any milkproduct other than milk from 9 months old!

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:00 am
Yogurt is much easier to digest than plain milk and has good probiotics. I've started that at 7-8 months.
Only plain, though, and full fat if possible.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 11:22 am
I think only in America do we worry so much aboaut allergies, and give only one new food a week. Other countries are not like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics