Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Am I the only mother that goes to sleep early?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 3:57 am
I think I must be the only person in the world who aims to be in bed by 9 pm! I am woken at 6:30 am every morning, I am exhausted the next day if I go to bed late. Past 10 pm and I'm barely surviving the next day, and have to go to bed by 8.

I eat as well and don't have any health issues, I just NEED those 9 hours of sleep.

OTOH I see other couples that report that they go to sleep 12am, when they go out they don't go to sleep til 1 or 2, they have guests friday night and are up late entertaining.. I don't get it, I just can't do that! When I have guests any evening, Shabbat included, I feel rude because I'm yawning away, simply yearning for my bed. When we go out it must be a short outing before my body crashes and I start sounding drunk with tiredness. I've realized that saying how tired I am when I'm with people is rude embarrassed

My only conclusion is that my body clock has aligned with my son's body clock, so as soon as he is in bed I need to go to bed soon after!

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jan 01 2021, 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

drumjj

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 3:59 am
I like to go to bed around nine sometimes too. I did last night and do quite often although I dont need to every night.

SingALong

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 4:07 am
I'm also in bed by 8-9, my kids r up at 6-6:30 usually. Also I leave the house early for work these days so I need to be in bed early. I also prefer not going out at night/ entertaining on Friday night, I can't function. If my dh wants guests then well do it shabbos morning, he also falls asleep early fri nite.
As for family simchas we are the nominated party poopers for always leaving early, weddings we leave during first dance, and I started skipping stuff it's just impossible to function at work after a simcha night

Hippi Dippi

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 4:11 am
Same here! I seem to shut off at around 9-ish...I've heared that the hours of sleep you get before 12 cannot compare to the hours you get after that. "Early to bed, early to rise, keeps a [wo]man healthy, wealthy, and wise." Sleep up! Wink

willow

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 4:52 am
Nope same here I need my sleep

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 4:56 am
I often go to sleep between 9 & 9:30, and sometimes as early as 8 if I'm really beat. Ten is late for me, adn I will pay for it the next day.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:10 am
wow! lucky you!
I would say 11.30 is my bedtime. if I get into bed 10.30/11.00 I consider it an early night Rolling Eyes
I wish I could go to bed earlier but my dh gets home at about 10.30 or later so I usually wait up for him...but till he gets into bed Wink
during nidda times I do try to be in bed early so if I'm asleep by 11 it's great Crying

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:19 am
yeah I used to wait for DH but my body won't wait it falls asleep without permission LOL

slushiemom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:31 am
I also go to bed early - aim to start getting ready for bed at 9, in bed by 9:30 usually. My kids get up as early as 5 sometimes, and I need my 8 hours of sleep! DH works late, but only half a flight down, so I dont wait for him to go to sleep- sometimes he'll bring the laptop in adn work in the room when I go to sleep.

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:42 am
I wish I could get into bed earlier...I don't get much done though if I go to bed too early! Doesn't mean that I'm not sleepwalking through the 2nd half of my evening anyway. And I get up pretty early (by 5:20, unless the kids are up earlier).

amother

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:50 am
wow, I am truly jelous of you mothers who get to bed by 9 or 10 pm. so I have a question, and this is not a bash at all, I would love to do that, when do you get to see your husband? that is the main reason why I stay awake until about 11pm, so that I get some time to sit and talk to my husband. if I go to bed at 9 or 10 oclock, I wont get to see my husband and that would make me very sad.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:53 am
I'm in bed really early too. 9:30 has become normal these days. Last night we went to sleep at 8pm.

I'm jealous of those who don't need to get this much sleep to be functional. If I try on less sleep, I'm exhausted all day or even worse physically nauseous and sick from lack of sleep. It's an advantage to need less sleep.

slushiemom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 5:53 am
to the amother that asks when I see my dh- I'm lucky, he works from home and doesnt start till 3 ish- and even then, he's the owner of the company doing mostly overseeing the employees, so he's got a lot of flexibility.

kids are in gan so we hang out in the morning, and in the evening he can even go out with me and just get all his emails and chats to his phone.

therefore I thankfully have no qualms about going to sleep early!

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 6:17 am
When DH is busy- well I don't get to see him a whole lot. Shabbat is saved for the 2 of us with DS and no guests when hes had a crazy week with no family time. He used to be busy for weeks at a time and worked on Sundays too. Fridays he came home with hardly enough time to shower before going to shul (he would take DS to shul with him if he didn't need a nap). We had breakfast together in the mornings and talked on the phone whenever we could. Stuck in date nights whenever we could which now that Shabbat ends earlier, we have motzei date night. Thankfully now hes not too crazy busy, but it seems hes always working even when hes home. Even at 3 am he has to get up sometimes and take care of stuff that is time related. Sometimes I wake up too and join him in the living room while hes working - and we have weird convos that we don't remember in the morning Very Happy

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 7:00 am
I'm also an early-nighter like you are since I work from 6:30 until 3 everyday. I wake up about 4:50 every morning, which is such a pain in the neck, but there's nothing than I can do. Yes it's hard not seeing DH but we try to at least eat supper together and discuss our day. If I go to sleep past 10, I'm exhausted and am extremely cranky so it's best for all of us if I go to bed as early as possible.

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 7:04 am
DH and I both need a lot of sleep; we are normally in bed by 10:00pm - in fact we are normally in bed before our teenage kids embarrassed

We both get up before 6am and can't function with the late nights.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 7:54 am
We go to sleep much after midnight so we can have a nice evening.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 8:07 am
I try to get to bed by 10:30 or 11. Whether it happens or not depends on howmuch time I'm spending putting ds back to sleep, holding dd... I do need to prepare their clothing for school and clean up supper before I go to sleep. Once I'm in bed, ds usually wakes up again just as I'm falling asleep, and every five minutes after that. Mind you, I'm so tired, I get up to get him and I'm Mamash sleepwalking. In the end, I don't get much sleep no matter what time I go to sleep. Caffeine, anyone?
Note- the timing of this post makes it sound rather extreme. Ds has been having stomach troubles lately and hasn't slept in a week. Now he has fever, too. I'm a bit of a mess.

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 8:59 am
I try and be in bed before 10, doesn't always happen though. I know I'll be woken up multiple times throughout the night, and I need all the sleep I can get. I can't afford zombie days.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:09 am
I was always one to go past midnight . This pattern repeated itself for at least 10 yrs. I always feel that there's so much to accomplish and so little time. Yes there were times that I was depressively tired but yet felt very acomplished. I feel bad for those who r slaves to sleep. As if they don't get in at their normal bed time, there are cranky babies! Seriously, we're adults. 7-8 hrs should suffice, any more or less is detrimental to our health, studies show.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics