Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Am I the only mother that goes to sleep early?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:23 am
When I'm pregnant I need 12 hours minimum.

jewels

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:44 am
I'm so jealous of all of you! I don't go to bed before 12/1 and my kids are up at about 6:30/7. I'd love to be sleeping by 10 but I'm such a night person and for me it's the best time to get things done with the kids sleeping (also the only time I get to spend with my husband). I think there's something to genetics in this aspect as well - my father doesn't need any sleep and neither do most of my siblings. My husband's family is exactly opposite though. I don't need a lot of sleep to function and that's definitely helped when I was up with babies most of the night, but I will say that I think that going in earlier is way more healthy than staying up past midnight. I just can't force myself to go to bed! Wink

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:50 am
always have been an early riser and an early to bed ... but when you have teens or stresses they keep you up past your bedtime and I hardly have a choice ...

I feel so much better those days that I either fall asleep between 7:30 & 9 or actually go to sleep of my own accord ... although in my stage it's hard to sleep the entire night - either way - I'M always EXHAUSTED !!!

prettyone

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
I feel bad for those who r slaves to sleep. As if they don't get in at their normal bed time, there are cranky babies! Seriously, we're adults. 7-8 hrs should suffice, any more or less is detrimental to our health, studies show.

Dont be mean

give them credit for knowing that they need the sleep and doing something about it instead of being cranky.

and just by the way 7-8 is not enough for everyone. some pple are weaker physically and need more. and some pple are pregnant. and others are interrupted all night by babies so they need more hours in bed to make up for it.

yellowrose

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 10:08 am
Good to hear I'm not the only one needing early nights. When pple call me past 9pm, they'd be like "oh, you're not sleeping yet..." In the beginning DH thought I was nuts, cause his family totally the opposite. But now with both working, DD & me being pregnant again, he just joins me in bed....

de_goldy

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 10:09 am
prettyone wrote:
amother wrote:
I feel bad for those who r slaves to sleep. As if they don't get in at their normal bed time, there are cranky babies! Seriously, we're adults. 7-8 hrs should suffice, any more or less is detrimental to our health, studies show.

Dont be mean

give them credit for knowing that they need the sleep and doing something about it instead of being cranky.

and just by the way 7-8 is not enough for everyone. some pple are weaker physically and need more. and some pple are pregnant. and others are interrupted all night by babies so they need more hours in bed to make up for it.

Not to mention that going to sleep at 12 and still getting 7-8 hours means you're not getting up till 7 or 8. Many of the early-to-sleepers here (myself included) are up at 5 or 6 each day and out of the house by, or before, 7.

re feeling accomplished - I personally accomplish much more in half hte time when I get my sleep. why spend 2 hours doing something at night when I can go to sleep, wake up and get it done in 45 mins because I got my sleep!

We are not slaves to sleep and cranky babies. come on! that was a pathetic thing to say.

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 10:13 am
I'm a night person too. Really not a morning person. But the days go so much better when I've slept the night before. If I were on my own schedule I'd be up till 12. But time is not my own. Almost every night I weigh whether to go to sleep or accomplish more of what I can't do with kids around.

I'm not a slave to sleep, I'm a slave to making sure everyone around me is happy and healthy. That's like saying that you're a slave to your food because you eat every day until you're satisfied. G-d created food and sleep to re-energize us and keep us healthy.

I'm glad for anyone who doesn't need to sleep much. I'm always amazed by how much they can accomplish in a single day. But they obviously don't get the zombie hangover I do. And I don't get cranky, I get spaced-out big time, and a constant pounding headache for hours on end. I choose to sleep instead.

ETA: I doubt I get 7-8 hours even when I'm in bed by ten. And my kids want breakfast at 6:30.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 10:51 am
GR wrote:

I'm not a slave to sleep, I'm a slave to making sure everyone around me is happy and healthy. That's like saying that you're a slave to your food because you eat every day until you're satisfied. G-d created food and sleep to re-energize us and keep us healthy.

I like that. I guess someone who eats all day even when they are full is a slave to their food, and someone who sleeps all day when they don't need to is a slave to sleep. But people who sleep enough to feel well rested are not slaves to sleep. They are taking care of themselves.

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 11:02 am
Exactly.

Amother's comment reminded me of 3rd grade, like suddenly we're all supposed to force ourselves to sleep less, lest we be branded "slaves to sleep." Rolling Eyes Soooo past that one.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 11:03 am
Bodies change as we age. I used to die without 12 hours, I still like a lot of sleep but I don't need as much now, bh.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 8:17 pm
Pink bubbles,

atleast you respect the need to sleep, its so important! Sometimes I miss my bodys signals and stay up to late. THe next day Im a zombie.

All I have to say is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 8:38 pm
I go to sleep at about 1 a.m. because I am online like a nut, because that's my me/downtime from the day... then again, I get to sleep til 8 - 8:15 most days and only get up 1-2X a night. it's nights like sunday when both kids were up from 3-6 am (and then slept til 9) that I find it hard to function. I nap during the day often too. On average I get about 7 hours a night.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 8:44 pm
there is no right amount to sleep ... a person has to know their body and do what is best for them ...

mom71

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:28 pm
I LOVE to go to bed early! My kids call me the senior citizen of the house. I'm always in bed WAY before my teens. I can't function without my sleep. I need a minimum of 8 hours. I also get up 6:30 A.M. I'm actually going to bed right now LOL

OldYoung

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:35 pm
mom71 wrote:
I LOVE to go to bed early! My kids call me the senior citizen of the house. I'm always in bed WAY before my teens. I can't function without my sleep. I need a minimum of 8 hours. I also get up 6:30 A.M. I'm actually going to bed right now LOL

You sound just like my mother!! LOL

Anyway, this thread is really inspiring. I have been going to bed really late these past few weeks and have been meaning to go a little earlier so that I can go on the treadmill and daven before my kids wake up in the morning. Hopefully I'll do it tonight and start tomorrow!

mra01385

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:42 am
Kudos to all of you that manage to go to sleep early. How do you all do it if still have things to take care of, want to spend some time with DH and have some down time too? I’ve been struggling for a while to get to bed before 12, but I just can’t seem to do it. My 11 yr old DS usually doesn’t go to sleep before 9:30. I still put him to sleep. Then I have to finish cleaning up from supper and make lunches for everyone including my DH. I also want some downtime for myself. I don’t start my bedtime routine til about 12 or even after 12 many times.
Anybody have tips and can help me with a bedtime routine?

grace413

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:58 am
Nothing like a blast from the past but please don't pull up a thread from 11 years ago.

Just start a new one.

Thanks.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 9:59 am
forget about a slave to sleep, that comment was so uncalled for...
I think it takes a tremendous amount of self discipline to put yourself to bed!!
that's my problem!!
I need more sleep, but at night, when the kids are sleeping, I want to do my own things....browse, read etc. etc.
I should be sleeping!!!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:13 am
Totally normal and ok to go to sleep early!!!

I would love to but I suffer from severe insomnia and wouldn't fall asleep anyway so I may as well use my time productively.

I am so jealous of all of you who can get so much sleep...the most my body will sleep is about 6 hours, and Ill usually wake up once or twice in the middle

Sleep is so so important and you should get as much as you can!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 27 2020, 10:42 am
grace413 wrote:
Nothing like a blast from the past but please don't pull up a thread from 11 years ago.

Just start a new one.

Thanks.

Think it would be great if any of the posters on this original post would chime in and update if due to life changes their sleep habits changed now
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics