Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Live in Israel? What you'd like as a gift from America
1  2  3  Next

jewels

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 5:54 pm
What would you like to get as a gift from someone visiting from America? The person I'm buying the gift for is my aunt - she's in her late 50's and pretty well off so it needs to be something that's maybe hard to get there or something she wouldn't necessarily buy herself. TIA!

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 5:57 pm
(deleted)

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total

jewels

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 6:09 pm
Thanks... I lived there so I know the basics can be hard to find especially if you're american and used to different things. My aunt is american as well but she's lived there for so long I don't think that's what she misses.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 7:02 pm
my friends ask me for pringles.
my sil's ask for cereal.
I'd ask for ziplocs and clothes!

shabri

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:41 am
They have pringles and even American cereal here--just expensive.

I would say some new books--maybe new bestsellers. Or electronics?

hila

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:47 am
Can I be your aunt ?
I am 50+and live in EY.

Actually I would love it if someone asked me what I want! Like to be able to order form these places Like Lands End and Old navy and Childrens Place and Amazon, and get the free shipping deals as well as the cheap prices. Just to have teh freedom to order plenty of stuff and not worry about customs duty or teh overpriced Israeli stuff would be a luxury.

(Eg right now I need a new camera battery . It costs between $8 - for a take off or $30 for a real sony battery in teh US and it cost 200-300sh here. I cant find anywhere that ships to Israel who sell these)

So ask your aunt if she would like to use you as her shipping destination. That is a present in itself.

cinnamon

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:47 am
Don't know about you aunt but I would ask for ziplock bags and nush there is nothing like gushers or fruit by the foot!

oh and chsh, about the peanut butter b&d makes pretty good peanut butter its not that expensive (about 10 nis) and tastes almost like skippy. stay away from taaman though it is watery and horrible.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:53 am
Yes, to what Hila said!

One of the biggest things that people can bring me is stuff I've ordered myself. Or to let me use a U.S. CC to order and then I pay them in shekels when it gets here. Shlepping space in luggage.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 3:29 am
Just fine without American gashmius, thank you. Anything you need you can get right here in E"Y.

lst

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 3:42 am
cinnamon wrote:
Don't know about you aunt but I would ask for ziplock bags and nush there is nothing like gushers or fruit by the foot!

oh and chsh, about the peanut butter b&d makes pretty good peanut butter its not that expensive (about 10 nis) and tastes almost like skippy. stay away from taaman though it is watery and horrible.

supersal brand peanut butter has an ou, its actually made by krogers and tastes just like skippy

and chsh-they sell diamond foil here which is american quality and usually a lot cheaper than the israeli brands. the israeli brands come with nothing on the roll, per meter or whatever, the diamond is a much better deal

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 3:43 am
Just ask her what she wants - as others wrote, we really have it all here.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 3:54 am
amother wrote:
Just fine without American gashmius, thank you. Anything you need you can get right here in E"Y.

Why is it about gashmiut? Someone's trying to do something nice for someone else. I don't buy the kids' stuff in the U.S./Canada because I can't get something here, (and I also don't wait if I need something) I buy it because:
1. Usually it's a gift and someone wants to bring me something, so I go online and tell them we like x, y, z, from A/B/C store in size triple T and then they can choose.
2. The prices are a lot better, most of the time. If it's not, I don't bother buying it. (I refuse to pay 4x the price for a cake pan, especially if it's NOT the same quality.)
3. Some things just don't exist here. I've asked, for example, about washable markers, non-staining fingerpaints, etc...I can't get it here, so I order it there and wait until someone can bring it. (Crayola colour wonder anyone?) OTOH, maybe wanting stuff for my kids that won't destroy everything in the house in the process IS gashmi? Oh well.

And sometimes, it's not so bad to be treated to something you wouldn't normally buy for yourself. There's stuff I wouldn't buy no matter where I am, but if someone offered, or even just brought it as a gift, I'd say thank you.

jackiejoel3

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 3:57 am
I would just ask as others have said. Sometimes it doesn't matter about money just whatis hard to find. I like season all and cream of tarter. Season all comes in a tiny biottle and cost like 25 NIS you can a 1 lb container at BG's for 3 dollars. And I have never seen cream of tarter ( I use it in a cookie I make). Just because she has money doesn't mean she wants to waste it paying for a little nothing bottle. Or I like the packages of goodseasons italian dressing. Again these aren't things you need in likfe but might make her happy. Ask her what she would like you to bring her. Also when you ask say what should I bring you? Not, Is there something you would like me to bring? I always say no if they ask but if it is matter of fact I say if you don't mind.....

Ima'la

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 4:19 am
I'll skip what I want b/c I'm under 50 and under her financial category too! Smile

Good quality linens
Picture frames

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 4:21 am
A nice cashmere wrap?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 5:50 am
1. Usually it's a gift and someone wants to bring me something, so I go online and tell them we like x, y, z, from A/B/C store in size triple T and then they can choose.
2. The prices are a lot better, most of the time. If it's not, I don't bother buying it. (I refuse to pay 4x the price for a cake pan, especially if it's NOT the same quality.)
3. Some things just don't exist here. I've asked, for example, about washable markers, non-staining fingerpaints, etc...I can't get it here, so I order it there and wait until someone can bring it. (Crayola colour wonder anyone?) OTOH, maybe wanting stuff for my kids that won't destroy everything in the house in the process IS gashmi? Oh well.[/quote]

I'd pay twice the price in Israel over inconveniencing someone else to go do my shopping and/or waiting/inconveniencing their schedule for my precious package to be delivered. (And you can in fact find washable markers in Israel.)

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 5:50 am
Quote:
3. Some things just don't exist here. I've asked, for example, about washable markers, non-staining fingerpaints, etc...I can't get it here, so I order it there and wait until someone can bring it. (Crayola colour wonder anyone?) OTOH, maybe wanting stuff for my kids that won't destroy everything in the house in the process IS gashmi? Oh well.

I'd pay twice the price in Israel over inconveniencing someone else to go do my shopping and/or waiting/inconveniencing their schedule for my precious package to be delivered. (And you can in fact find washable markers in Israel.)

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:02 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

Really? Tell me where. My daycare doesn't know about it either.

And who said anything about inconveniencing? The people who generally do the shlepping live in a building with a 24 hour concierge; packages are left with the concierge if they're not home to receive them. (I'm pleased for you, also, that you have enough disposable income to pay double to quadruple the price for something.)

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:29 am
jewels wrote:
Thanks... I lived there so I know the basics can be hard to find especially if you're american and used to different things. My aunt is american as well but she's lived there for so long I don't think that's what she misses.

nowadays, you can really get anything here, and whatever you can't, so you can buy online (assuming money isn't an issue), especially the basics!!! (except I have yet to find normal ziploc bags, but I don't think that is what you had in mind)

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:31 am
ClaRivka wrote:
my friends ask me for pringles.
my sil's ask for cereal.
I'd ask for ziplocs and clothes!

pringles and cereal??? come to Ramat Bet Shemesh, we have tons in every store! (american brands)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics