Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Live in Israel? What you'd like as a gift from America
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Health is a Virture

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:34 am
amother wrote:
I've asked, for example, about washable markers, non-staining fingerpaints, etc...I can't get it here, so I order it there and wait until someone can bring it. (Crayola colour wonder anyone?) OTOH, maybe wanting stuff for my kids that won't destroy everything in the house in the process IS gashmi? Oh well.

I just saw crayola markers at the toystore. and play-dough, the brand play dough too.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:47 am
But paint? Fingerpaint? "Gooash"? It all stains and doesn't come out. Colour Wonder isn't regular washable either...it quite simply doesn't colour on anything but the special paper. (Yeah, I know, money grab for the special paper, but my house doesn't match Joseph's coat.)

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:00 am
jackiejoel3 wrote:
And I have never seen cream of tarter ( I use it in a cookie I make). ..
No problem getting cream of tartar here. I got it "al hamishkal" in machaneh yehuda.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:02 am
Ima'la wrote:
I'll skip what I want b/c I'm under 50 and under her financial category too! Smile

Good quality linens
Picture frames
Last week I bought: 2 queen sized comforter covers, 2 twin sheets, 4 pillow cases, and 4 fleece pillow cases (overstock material). The price? 329 nis. The brand? Lands End. Is that good enough quality for you? Very Happy The price was less than the cost of ONE comforter cover in the catalog.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:04 am
We ask for vitamins and supplements, which we buy online and have delivered to the person coming.
If it's good friends, I ask for cotton T's for me, and bike shorts which I wear under my skirt. Those are the only things that I really can't do without and can't get here to my satisfaction.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:22 am
Tamiri wrote:
jackiejoel3 wrote:
And I have never seen cream of tarter ( I use it in a cookie I make). ..
No problem getting cream of tartar here. I got it "al hamishkal" in machaneh yehuda.

I've also seen (and bought) Schwartz's brand in the local Mister Zol. Of course, once I bought it I never used it...

hila

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:28 am
Tamiri wrote:
Ima'la wrote:
I'll skip what I want b/c I'm under 50 and under her financial category too! Smile

Good quality linens
Picture frames
Last week I bought: 2 queen sized comforter covers, 2 twin sheets, 4 pillow cases, and 4 fleece pillow cases (overstock material). The price? 329 nis. The brand? Lands End. Is that good enough quality for you? Very Happy The price was less than the cost of ONE comforter cover in the catalog.

Where did you buy that stuff ?? Here ? I am confused ... (but that happens easily at my age Wink )

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:31 am
Ogen Guy Textiles in Tefen (near Kfar Vradim/Carmiel). Here. In Israel. Where they are made. When we are up north, we try and make it our business to stop off there.... you never know what you'll find.

jewels

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:56 am
Thank you all for your ideas - I think she'd appreciate a tech related gift the best but I know that in the past she asked for linens and blankets as well. The only reason I mentioned she was well off was because because although a lot of staples (like american food products) are a bit more expensive she could afford the extra few shekel but not an extra 200-300nis on something like a camera battery. The cashmere wrap is a good idea but I think my mother bought her that the last time she went Wink. The shipping things to an American address I am familiar with as my sil does that with me all the time.I really appreciate all your input!

chanchy123

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 10:45 am
Health is a Virture wrote:
jewels wrote:
Thanks... I lived there so I know the basics can be hard to find especially if you're american and used to different things. My aunt is american as well but she's lived there for so long I don't think that's what she misses.

nowadays, you can really get anything here, and whatever you can't, so you can buy online (assuming money isn't an issue), especially the basics!!! (except I have yet to find normal ziploc bags, but I don't think that is what you had in mind)

I use Ikea brand and they are pretty good. I buy a few packages every time I happen to be there - they are also very reasonably priced.
I wonder why ziplock brand never made it to Israel.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 10:54 am
Does your aunt have a hobby or any special interest I find that since there are just so many more people in the US than here, you can get so many specialized things, like baking goods or specific magazines, art supplies etc. I hope you get my drift. Also I second Marion's suggestion of being a dropping point for things your aunt my want delivered to her. Especially during this season you can get good deals on quality products (clothing, lingerie. toys, and stuff).
I agree you can get almost anything you need here.
Oh, I just remembered something. My family really enjoys American candy especially various chocolates. You can get some in Israel, but not everything and most people don't bother buying it because of the variety of good Israeli stuff but it's nice to have American candy once in a while.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:00 am
Marion wrote:
amother wrote:
Quote:
1. Usually it's a gift and someone wants to bring me something, so I go online and tell them we like x, y, z, from A/B/C store in size triple T and then they can choose.
2. The prices are a lot better, most of the time. If it's not, I don't bother buying it. (I refuse to pay 4x the price for a cake pan, especially if it's NOT the same quality.)
3. Some things just don't exist here. I've asked, for example, about washable markers, non-staining fingerpaints, etc...I can't get it here, so I order it there and wait until someone can bring it. (Crayola colour wonder anyone?) OTOH, maybe wanting stuff for my kids that won't destroy everything in the house in the process IS gashmi? Oh well.

I'd pay twice the price in Israel over inconveniencing someone else to go do my shopping and/or waiting/inconveniencing their schedule for my precious package to be delivered. (And you can in fact find washable markers in Israel.)

Really? Tell me where. My daycare doesn't know about it either.

And who said anything about inconveniencing? The people who generally do the shlepping live in a building with a 24 hour concierge; packages are left with the concierge if they're not home to receive them. (I'm pleased for you, also, that you have enough disposable income to pay double to quadruple the price for something.)

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it. But I don't let other people shlep for me so that I can save a few bucks. Cool that your friends have concierges though.

Fruit by the Foot is here too y'all.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 12:06 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Ima'la wrote:

Good quality linens
Picture frames

Well, then, I stand corrected! I was actually just recalling what an older relative used to ask my mil to bring, since I didn't think a 50-something well-to-do lady would want Reynold's wrap and ziploc bags like me! (You can get them here for a price, but this is someone offering to bring a gift...)

msctwg

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 12:18 pm
wait. did you say she was over fiffty and well off?? then perhaps you should ask for a present from her!!! seriously though I love it when people bring me hersheys. kisses, reese's and all that good stuff! but I think that any present that shows a little bit of thought will be appreciated. who doesn't like getting any presents? Maybe something from bed n' bath, that is something that is harder to find, though it is available.

msctwg

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 12:18 pm
wait. did you say she was over fiffty and well off?? then perhaps you should ask for a present from her!!! seriously though I love it when people bring me hersheys. kisses, reese's and all that good stuff! but I think that any present that shows a little bit of thought will be appreciated. who doesn't like getting any presents? Maybe something from bed n' bath, that is something that is harder to find, though it is available.

Fragile

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 12:32 pm
How about deodorant? Wink That's one thing I always ask my sibs to bring for me. I couldn't get used to the brands that they sell here.

shevi82

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 1:29 pm
This is what I ask for:
Craisens, splenda, q-tips, toiletries, nash,peanut butter, farina, cereal, playmobiel, kids clothing, crayola crayons.

As for your aunt-she would probably appreciate a new set of linen, some bath towels or maybe a table cloth.

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 1:34 pm
Hate to tell you but there are still things they don't have here.

Grape nuts cereal.
zero fat american cheese
Neutrogena makeup
Garnier Fructus hair products (used to have and stopped importing them, you can't get them anymore)
deodorant that isn't an antiperpirant (doesn't contain aluminum) like impulse (can't get it here)
tic tac citrus lemon flavor
St. Johns wort supplements
Natural progesterone creme
Cover girl blush
Crabtree and Evelyn rose perfume
entenmans anything (especially cake donuts)

And that's just off the top of my head.

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Just fine without American gashmius, thank you. Anything you need you can get right here in E"Y.

Anyone notice how a friendly, helpful, productive thread was going on - with no anonymous posts - when suddenly someone has to come on with a snarky, unhelpful comment and naturally is too cowardly to post as herself?

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:42 pm
But on the other hand, here we actually have a thread which hasn't become "MO versus charedim"!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics