Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need SIDE DISH suggestions
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 11:08 am
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:
brown rice.

I was making that a lot... but stopped once my mother told me how to make microwave rice which is soooo super fast.... and not sure it would work for brown rice which takes so much longer in general to cook.

WHITE RICE IN MICROWAVE:

2 cups of raw rice
4 2/3 cup water
salt

cover well.
20 minutes on high.

let it sit a few minutes when done, and then fluff with fork.
EASY, EASY, EASY.

anyone know if this could be done in the mic with brown?

You probably can do this in the microwave, I would just add a cup more water and keep it on a little longer. But you will have to experiment with the exact amounts.

But I don't get it- it only takes me 30 minutes to make brown rice on the stovetop, so what are you saving by doing it in the microwave?

happy2beme

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 11:19 am
Quote:
of course white rice is faster, but brown rice is much healthier!

I always wanted to make brown instead of white rice but someone told me that brown is more full of bugs.

Is that true? Because I like to buy a bunch of boxes of rice & im nervous if it sits awhile on shelf it would get buggy.[/quote]

queen

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 3:34 pm
only1 wrote:
But I don't get it- it only takes me 30 minutes to make brown rice on the stovetop, so what are you saving by doing it in the microwave?

on stove- you have to wait for it to boil, then stir.... and lower flame and hope it doesn't burn. (remembering to turn off after 14 minutes.

none of that with microwave..... just push the on switch and forget about it.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 3:41 pm
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:

on stove- you have to wait for it to boil, then stir.... and lower flame and hope it doesn't burn. (remembering to turn off after 14 minutes.

none of that with microwave..... just push the on switch and forget about it.

I hear

MOM222

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:35 am
Queen - you didnt mention peppers. Will he eat peppers?

And you're not the only one with such "problems" LOL .

QueenBee

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:10 pm
I only keep brown rice in my house so that I won't be tempted to cook white. Brown is so much healthier, and with time, you'll all forget what white tastes like. I like to use my left over chicken soup from shabbos as the water (if I don't have enough, I water it down). It adds so much flavor. I put the rice and liquid in the pot, bring to boil and then turn to very low and ignore for 20 minutes. I then turn it off and don't open the lid for like another 15-20 minutes and this way your rice steams and you'll never burn rice again. As long as you think in advance what's for supper, this works.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:28 pm
I have noticed that some whole wheat bread has the same fat and calories as white, so I don't push myself so much to only buy whole wheat.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 12:32 pm
You have to be careful with some whole wheat breads, even though it says "whole wheat" on it , if you look at the ingredients you'll notice that it is not 100% whole wheat. So make sure it says 100% whole wheat.

And Chocolate, it has nothing to do with how much fat is in the bread. There is a big difference between healthy fat and unhealthy fat. But I agree, one should look for a whole wheat bread that is also low fat.

smiley:)

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:37 am
I need an idea for a side dish for shabbat. So far I have sweet and sour chicken, and couscous that goes with veggies fried in tomato sauce. I know I could make a kugel but I dont have any great recipes. Anyone have any good, easy kugel recipes or another idea? If you give a recipe, please give measurements. Thanks so much!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 11:45 am
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:
brown rice.

I was making that a lot... but stopped once my mother told me how to make microwave rice which is soooo super fast.... and not sure it would work for brown rice which takes so much longer in general to cook.

WHITE RICE IN MICROWAVE:

2 cups of raw rice
4 2/3 cup water
salt

cover well.
20 minutes on high.

EASY, EASY, EASY.

I have been thinking about this, and I haven't tried it yet. But to make brown rice on the stovetop every 1 cup of brown rice gets 2 and 1/2 cups water. And every 1 cup of white rice gets 2 cups of water. So it looks like to make the white rice in the microwave you are adding an extra 1/3 of a cup for every cup of rice. So maybe for every 1 cup of brown rice you will need more like 3 cups of water for the microwave?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:01 pm
if you have challah and couscous, that's plenty of starch already. what about another vegetable?

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 12:26 pm
I have fried veggies for over the couscous but I could make another veggie. Suggestions?

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:26 pm
How about beets? LOL Cabbage? LOL Peas?

How about shlishkes as a side dish?

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:35 pm
what in the world are shlishkes?

queen

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:41 pm
only1 wrote:
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:
brown rice.

WHITE RICE IN MICROWAVE:

2 cups of raw rice
4 2/3 cup water
salt

cover well.
20 minutes on high.

EASY, EASY, EASY.

I have been thinking about this, and I haven't tried it yet. But to make brown rice on the stovetop every 1 cup of brown rice gets 2 and 1/2 cups water. And every 1 cup of white rice gets 2 cups of water. So it looks like to make the white rice in the microwave you are adding an extra 1/3 of a cup for every cup of rice. So maybe for every 1 cup of brown rice you will need more like 3 cups of water for the microwave?

but white rice cooks in a third of the time brown rice does.....
How long would I put the mircrowave on for brown rice then.....?

cindy324

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 5:44 pm
Quote:
I have noticed that some whole wheat bread has the same fat and calories as white, so I don't push myself so much to only buy whole wheat.

The calorie and fat count isn't the reason why peopleopt for whole wheat over white. It's because it's a lot healthier, they don't process the heck out of the grains, therefor it's way higher in fiber and nutrients, and because of the high fiber content, you'll feel fuller longer after eating wole grain than white. Also white bread triggers your body to make too much insulin, and excess insulin leads to weight gain.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 9:33 pm
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:
queen wrote:
only1 wrote:
brown rice.

WHITE RICE IN MICROWAVE:

2 cups of raw rice
4 2/3 cup water
salt

cover well.
20 minutes on high.

EASY, EASY, EASY.

but white rice cooks in a third of the time brown rice does.....
How long would I put the mircrowave on for brown rice then.....?

Cook for 20 minutes, if needs longer just put it in for longer. It might take some experimenting.

Dini

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 7:57 pm
Quote:
I have fried veggies for over the couscous but I could make another veggie. Suggestions?

How do you make them and w/ which veggies?

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 8:27 pm
I found a really great, easy recipe for caramelized onions & zucchini..
we had it this Shabbos, it was really delicious.
Let me know if anyone is interested in it.

aussiegal

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 8:35 am
MommyLuv wrote:
I found a really great, easy recipe for caramelized onions & zucchini..
we had it this Shabbos, it was really delicious.
Let me know if anyone is interested in it.

sounds delicious. PLEASE post recipe.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes