Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can I join a mixed gym?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 27 2009, 9:23 pm
This is the only workable gym program I can join in my area. (THe hours are good). Its a NYSC. COuld this arrangement be done without compromising Tsnius?

bubby

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 5:04 am
This isn't for us to answer. Discuss it with your DH &/or a Rav/Rebbetsin.

But IMHO, I think it's not. You have men & women walking around in various stages of undress, possibly mixed changing rooms (do I know???)

In answer to the thread title...you can join whatever you want. It's a free country. The only thing is, why would you ask, unless you know deep down it's not the smartest thing to do.

So my advice...start walking, jogging, pilates on a video, or get yourself a female home trainer. But my advice is just that...advice. Not a Psak.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 5:29 am
I have before but quickly stopped. It just felt so wrong!!!!

You had these two orthodox rabbis working out side by side with ladies. A couple of tznius dressed ones but most not. Not to mention the skintight clothed frum 8th grader. It was just all too much for me. And was then that I realized this is just too weird.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 5:50 am
I would not be comfy. But yes, some rabbanim will allow it. Especially for health.

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 5:57 am
I would not be comfortable at all. would you feel comfortable? It's not always about halacha, your Rav might allow it, but you might feel very uncomfortable working out side by side with the guy across the street, or your friends husband, your husbands chavrusa or business partner etc.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 6:45 am
I am a NYSC member. Anon since everyone here seems to think its a bad idea.

Look, I am a woman, not a man, so the issue of "shmiras einayim" is more on men, not me. So my DH joining, would be a different story. I wear a pretied bandanna, t-shirt, and a slinky skirt on top of leggings (in case I am on a bike or something and my skirt rides up). NYSC was a great option for me because they have branches all over the city including one that is essentially downstairs from my office, and one that is like 2 blocks from our house. My firm had an amazing membership discount, plus joining a gym even bring you a (small but still) discount on insurance premiums! they also have babysitting. and I am not into the whole "curves" frenzy, I do what I do and that it, not 2 min of this or that for 30 minutes. I think there is a way to do it in a tzniyusdik manner. I do my thing, and get out. I am dressed modestly, and despite the fact that honestly, I think I am BA"H a pretty woman with an OK figure people certainly dont gawk at me because there are much more naked and tightly dressed people around to stare at quite frankly!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 2:15 pm
bubby wrote:
But IMHO, I think it's not. You have men & women walking around in various stages of undress, possibly mixed changing rooms (do I know???)

I don't think any mainstream gym in the United States has co-ed locker rooms. And don't worry, NYSC locker rooms are completely separate.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
I wear a pretied bandanna, t-shirt, and a slinky skirt on top of leggings (in case I am on a bike or something and my skirt rides up).

We've discussed this before. I think some of it is tsnius - which may or may not be an issue if everone is doing it -but I think mostly it's how comfortable you can be to exercise fully dressed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise