Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Making Gefilte Fish from scratch

Devorah

Post Sun, May 21 2006, 10:53 pm
does a nyone have any good recipes to make gefilte fish from scratch iee from ground fish?
how to cook it so it doesnt fall apart also?

girliesmommy

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 2:06 am
I have one with a mixture of salmon and carp. Does that interest you?

realeez

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 9:17 am
Here's mine...

Gefilte Fish

2 lbs. ground white fish mixed with pike
2 eggs, hardboiled and mashed
2 carrots, minced
2 onions, minced
1 raw egg
1 cup sugar
4 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients well. Separate into parts and freeze. Take each portion, shape into balls or a loaf (wrapped in parchment paper). Bring water to boil. Add an onion, carrots, fish, 1 cup sugar and 2 tbsp. salt. Boil ½ hour for balls and 1 hour for loaf.

I usually roll it in parchment paper and twist the ends very well - I've never had a problem w/ it breaking.

chen

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 9:34 am
talk about bashert, I was just thinking last night that I'd like to try my hand at making gefilte from scratch, now that the frozen kind has become so expensive in our supermarket. anyone have a recipe using just canned pink salmon? and not sweet, please! TIA.

Devorah

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 10:38 am
hanx, it lookis great this recipe I will try it

TzenaRena

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 11:15 am
chen wrote:
talk about bashert, I was just thinking last night that I'd like to try my hand at making gefilte from scratch, now that the frozen kind has become so expensive in our supermarket. anyone have a recipe using just canned pink salmon? and not sweet, please! TIA.

chen, whenever I bought fish and had it ground for gefilte, it costed at least twice, probably 3X as much as the loaves. But the loaves are about $4.00 - $5.00 each. Do you call that expensive? How much does your supermarket charge?

chen

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 11:56 am
yeah, I call that expensive. they used to be three and change, but now they're up around $5. that's why I'm asking about canned salmon, which you can get on sale for $1 for 15 oz.

Devorah

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 12:32 pm
where I live they dont sell this fish, thats why I have to start from scratch btw
I would love to have the prepared loaves..
so much easier

gryp

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 7:38 pm
Benz's fish at Benz's costs 3 for $11.

realeez

Post Mon, May 22 2006, 7:54 pm
I make it from scratch b/c once I tasted the "real thing" I could never go back!

girliesmommy

Post Tue, May 23 2006, 1:38 pm
mommyabc123 wrote:
I make it from scratch b/c once I tasted the "real thing" I could never go back!

That's funny! I make mine from scratch because I don't feel like paying $10+ (USD) for one roll! I actually don't eat it, and will only eat Gefilte fish if it is store bought! Rolling Eyes

SaraYehudis, I agree, when it comes down to it, it's just about the same price here ($10 a loaf) when I make it, but it doesn't seem like it, since I have so many of the ingredients in the house anyways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics