Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken pot pie - chicken raw or cooked?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 1:29 pm
from the recipes I've seen, I can't figure out if you are supposed to use raw or cooked chicken to make chicken pot pie (when the top crust is raw, I mean). recipes say simply chicken which I would think means raw, but I've seen others mention using leftover chicken from the soup, which obviously is cooked. can either one be used, and is there a difference in how to prepare it depending on which chicken is used? and if you use cooked chicken, doesn't it get overcooked or dried out after being baked again so the top crust is browned? please help, I've never made this before!

Shalshelet

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 1:32 pm
I have only used cooked chicken. If you have the spice and spirit cookbook, there is a great recipe for chicken pot pie in it. It doesn't get overcooked as there is a liquid inside that makes it stay moist.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 1:58 pm
Cooked.
Original recipe that I have says to cook/saute the chicken along with the vegetables.
(But I just use the extra chicken from our chicken soup and cut it up.)

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 1:59 pm
Cooked broil chicken, usually leftovers from chicken soup - it's delicious!!!!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 2:01 pm
All the ingredients for the chicken pot pie should be cooked before you pour it into the pie crust and bake it. You should also bake the pie crust for a little while before putting the chicken mixture in because then the crust won't get as mushy.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 2:13 pm
OH, ok, I didn't realize the vegetables are going to be cooked before baking it.
DefyGravity wrote:
You should also bake the pie crust for a little while before putting the chicken mixture in because then the crust won't get as mushy.

ok, if I'm putting a crust on the top, how do I bake that beforehand? flat on a baking sheet? wouldn't it break when I try to put it on top of the filling? or are we talking about only pre-baking the bottom crust?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 2:22 pm
If you are only topping the pie with a crust, then there is need to prebake it.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 2:24 pm
Yeah, I usually put a crust on the bottom and on the top - and definitely don't bake the top crust beforehand. Lately I've started putting a layer of mashed potatoes on top, instead of the additional crust, and it's great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey