Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Making Pesach for the first time
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:17 pm
Pessach is not hard work by us, and it wasn't by my parents. We never had help for Pessach. But again we don't hold by many things some on Imamother do, so by us it's basically cleaning the house as on a normal day just paying attention there is no visible chametz. There is also cooking, but it's nothing so hard?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:26 pm
Some people have larger families with little kids who track chometz to visible areas...that would make it infinitely harder than people who don't have the same situation.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:48 pm
I'm always in a dilemma as to when I should do the dresser drawers and clothing. The drawers are a big job so I'd like to do it early on, except then I can't put any clothing inside except what's been washed/checked for Chametz. But we need to be wearing our clothing up until Erev Pesach.

What do people do? Where do they put their "chometzdik" clothing after the dressers have been washed down?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Some people have larger families with little kids who track chometz to visible areas...that would make it infinitely harder than people who don't have the same situation.

I don't remember how it was when I was a little kid, but my kid is still pretty young and she doesn't make it more (or less) difficult.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:51 pm
Huh? Do dirty clothes go back in the drawers? We only put in clothing straight from the clean laundry in the drawers...

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:52 pm
GR wrote:
What do people do? Where do they put their "chometzdik" clothing after the dressers have been washed down?

Is that really an issue? I pretty much wear something until I wash it. It's not put back until it's been through the washer.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:52 pm
GR wrote:
I'm always in a dilemma as to when I should do the dresser drawers and clothing. The drawers are a big job so I'd like to do it early on, except then I can't put any clothing inside except what's been washed/checked for Chametz. But we need to be wearing our clothing up until Erev Pesach.

There is no chametz in our drawers. If it's in the drawer or closet, by definition it's wearable as is (= clean).
Kitchen rags are in a separate drawer in the kitchen.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:54 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I don't remember how it was when I was a little kid, but my kid is still pretty young and she doesn't make it more (or less) difficult.
Having one kid is completely different than having many. It's much easier to track that one kid and clean up after her than it is to try to keep a crew of kids from tracking chometz throughout the house.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:58 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Huh? Do dirty clothes go back in the drawers? We only put in clothing straight from the clean laundry in the drawers...

LOL. I should have clarified that I really don't want to be checking/cleaning pockets every day for weeks until Pesach comes.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:00 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Having one kid is completely different than having many. It's much easier to track that one kid and clean up after her than it is to try to keep a crew of kids from tracking chometz throughout the house.

Many people say having one is harder because you don't have a big sis or bro around. My kid doesn't put chametz in my drawers, I wouldn't allow it even without the Pesach problem. Even someone with 10 kids has only a small number of kids young enough to do something like this. Many houses have a rule of only eating in the dining room and don't look for chametz in other places, including a chassidishe family I know with 6 under 8. They also say Pesach is fine if you're not neurotic, and the only thing they find hard is their minhag of doing every food from scratch.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:01 pm
GR wrote:

I learned that even chometz crumbs are battel if they've been laundered with inedible washing powder, so no problem to put clean clothes back.

Coats I wash when it gets warm or close to Pesach if they are still needed.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:02 pm
GR wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

LOL. I should have clarified that I really don't want to be checking/cleaning pockets every day for weeks until Pesach comes.

Why do that? either it's clean or not, and if it's not put it in a sealed place until after Pessach, or wash it before?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:05 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Many people say having one is harder because you don't have a big sis or bro around. My kid doesn't put chametz in my drawers, I wouldn't allow it even without the Pesach problem. Even someone with 10 kids has only a small number of kids young enough to do something like this. Many houses have a rule of only eating in the dining room and don't look for chametz in other places, including a chassidishe family I know with 6 under 8. They also say Pesach is fine if you're not neurotic, and the only thing they find hard is their minhag of doing every food from scratch.
How would having older siblings help?

Your kid is almost 3 IIRC.
I have a 17 month old who, despite my best intentions, will track chometz throughout the apartment...and then she has 2 older brothers (3 and 4.5) who know only to eat in the kitchen/dining room, but still track chometz to wash their hands in the bathroom, etc.

And my 17 month old definitely thinks it's funny to put food wherever suits her fancy...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

How would having older siblings help?

Your kid is almost 3 IIRC.
I have a 17 month old who, despite my best intentions, will track chometz throughout the apartment...and then she has 2 older brothers (3 and 4.5) who know only to eat in the kitchen/dining room, but still track chometz to wash their hands in the bathroom, etc.

And my 17 month old definitely thinks it's funny to put food wherever suits her fancy...

My kid was 17 months too once upon a time... we never had this problem. Maybe you could only give her chametz on the high chair? or clean up every night after she goes to bed, if only just for cleanliness? I don't know... as for the brothers, just clean the bathroom, most of it is probably gone in the sink by the time pessach comes anyway.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:09 pm
Older siblings help check on the small kid and help for Pessach or regular cleaning, from what I see.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:10 pm
Well, that was my original point, Pesach isn't the same in everyone's homes. If I wanted to put clothing back into the Pesach-cleaned drawers, I'd be checking pockets full-time. 4 boys with 6+ pairs of pants each, with 2-6 pockets in each pair....

I guess I'll be leaving the drawers for one of the last tasks again.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:13 pm
Or just don't put them back until after Pessach and just use the clean clothes remaining?

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:16 pm
We don't own a month's worth of clothing each. When I say I'd like to do the dressers in advance, I mean 3-4 weeks before, not 3 days before.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:21 pm
Ruchel wrote:

My kid was 17 months too once upon a time... we never had this problem. Maybe you could only give her chametz on the high chair? or clean up every night after she goes to bed, if only just for cleanliness? I don't know... as for the brothers, just clean the bathroom, most of it is probably gone in the sink by the time pessach comes anyway.
Yes, but you were able to watch her more than I can watch mine. I can't leave my daughter in the high chair every time she wants to eat (try telling her to go in there when she wants to sit on a small chair and table like her big brothers do), and even if she does eat in her high chair, she has crumbs coming out of her clothing...

My point is that what seems not so hard for you might be much harder for someone with different circumstances. Your posts generally assume that your reality is everyone else's, and it's really not that simple.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 1:22 pm
GR wrote:
We don't own a month's worth of clothing each. When I say I'd like to do the dressers in advance, I mean 3-4 weeks before, not 3 days before.
I still don't get the problem.

Do you put back pants they've worn and haven't washed?
Or you don't hold that crumbs stuck in washed pants are inedible and not a problem of chometz?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics