Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby isnt happy unless I'm holding him.
Previous  1  2

lst

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:15 pm
fmt4 wrote:
This thread makes me want to cry. Everyone talks about how the carrier and swing are their saviors, while neither works for me. Crying

Carrier's and swings didnt work for me either! Thank G-d my son is now almost 10 months old and can play by himself sometimes, but I think I held him for 5 months straight. Thats what it felt like at least. He screamed every single time he was put down, even in the car. The only thing he tolerated was a walk outside in the stroller. And that was only sometimes. I am still exhausted from him, but he is slowly growing out of it. He started getting better about being put down when he was able to move a bit and play with toys.
I hope your son starts to entertain himself soon. Trust me, I know the feeling! But beH it will get better!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:41 pm
Dd used to be awful. She cried all day long. I used to put her in the stroller and turn on the music real loud. This way she couldn't cry over the music so she gave up a bit and it calmed her too. I didn't let her see me because the second she did, she would scream again. It's a good idea to get her used to self calming a bit. What things calm her down?

intel

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:56 pm
my baby is the same way. she just recently became better (ie, does not need to be held unless she is tired/hungry/in pain) when I bought a walker and a high chair. I can put her in the walker with some toys on the tray and she is happy (and she is not an easily satisfied baby). she can actually sit there and smile right in front of my face and not "ask me" to pick her up!

the high chair is also good because she is in a sitting position high up so she can sit near us when we eat supper and it has a large tray to keep toys on.

toys with plenty of noisy colorful things that turn are good. I have one that has a suction on bottom to go on her try. it's great. she is 7 months old and I got it a few months ago. do you have anything like that? it might help you.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:02 pm
Tamiri wrote:
If a baby needs to be held, I think it means he NEEDS to be held. I don't think it's spoiled behavior at this age. I had 2 like that and both have sensory issues. They needed the cuddling to feel safe (one is now almost 20 and one is 5 - they outgrow the holding stage).
Something that worked for us with both kids was... the vacuum cleaner. Something about the noise soothed them so that they forgot about wanting to be held and could not keep crying. You may want to try that.
Other than that, please know that this, too, shall pass (IYH and everything goes well). Pretty soon he'll be on his own. Hang in there!

I agree. My sensory cry-babies are 4 and 18 months, but those were my criers.

I forgot to mention one thing that worked magic. Music. Even now, ds will sit and watch the music play. He actually stares at the CD player and watches the lights flash on and off as it plays. Music has had a calming effect on him ever since he was born.
Another thing that worked wonders was the bath. When I had my sisters or husband home and I needed to clean for Pesach, I put him in the bath and he splashed happily with dh and my sister watching him while I cleaned. It was the only way he didn't cry when I walked away from him.

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:05 pm
lst wrote:
fmt4 wrote:
This thread makes me want to cry. Everyone talks about how the carrier and swing are their saviors, while neither works for me. Crying

Carrier's and swings didnt work for me either! Thank G-d my son is now almost 10 months old and can play by himself sometimes, but I think I held him for 5 months straight. Thats what it felt like at least. He screamed every single time he was put down, even in the car. The only thing he tolerated was a walk outside in the stroller. And that was only sometimes. I am still exhausted from him, but he is slowly growing out of it. He started getting better about being put down when he was able to move a bit and play with toys.
I hope your son starts to entertain himself soon. Trust me, I know the feeling! But beH it will get better!

Note: When I said my carrier was great, I did mention that ds napped in it. He never let me put him in when he was awake. But since he refused to sleep when he wasn't pressed against me, I wore him by his naps. That was the only time I had my hands free.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 11:08 pm
have you tried giving him one of your not-yet-laundered shirts to hold? sometimes smelling mommy is almost as good as being held.

gryp

Post Fri, Jan 08 2010, 9:13 am
Quote:
My baby isnt happy unless I'm holding him.

That pretty much sums up my biography.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics