Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I want to but I cant- why?!?!?

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 10:55 am
One month I do amazing and Im fully motivated. The next month I cant even think about dieting. Why does this change so drastically????? I cant understand how I can be so motivated for few weeks and lose 12lbs and then just let it all go.
I already hit rock bottom, I need to do this for my self esteem, Im not happy with the way I look. I know food is an addiction for me but Ive reached the point where Im beyond desparate and I still cant do it!!! Im starting to go to the gym twice a week, Im totaly motivated but when Im hungry or bored... no diet exists or can stop me.
Any ideas? anyone relate? any support?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:40 pm
I'm sorry I don't have any ideas, but I totally commiserate. I've been there so many times. I banded before Pesach and it was the best decision I made B"H. I still have to work hard, and be motivated, but now I don't gain back all the darn weight every time I slip.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:43 pm
I can relate. For the past seven months, I lose two pounds over the week and gain it back over the weekend. If I would add up all the pounds I lost in these months it would kill me. I can't stay motived too long either. I find comfort in certain foods and there is nothing I can do about it at this point. I'm just happy I didn't go up the scale. How about a workout buddy? Think that might help?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 4:47 pm
I find keeping a seder to be especialy helpful - I take gym classes and I also exercise at home, right when I wake up.

I keep larabars and fruit on my desk. I don't ever bake fattening treats and don't keep junk in the house.

of course, I'v e consulted a homeopath and energy healer and don't crave that stuff.

does any of that hep you?

MiamiMommy

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:34 pm
Sounds like you need a weight loss buddy!

freidasima

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:37 pm
you can't because you like food more than you like being skinny.
So do I.
I gave up.
Dh is happy with me 25 lbs overweight.
That's all that counts.
When it becomes a real health issue, I'll lose it again.
But now? I don't want to be hungry, I don't have time to exercise more than I do and I'm never going to be 112 lbs anyhow so who cares?
As long as I fit into my clothes and still look like a woman and not a blob.

Denver007

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 5:43 pm
I have the same problem, but I've found that the eating usually has to do with me being bored than with me being hungry. I'm trying to keep busier and I've heard that journaling really helps. That's my next step, I hope I can get to the point where I am writing down everything I eat and having to write might be a detractor by itself.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 6:09 pm
I'm working on not using food to deal with anything but needing food - I crave carbs when I'm exhausted for the quick kick, and also eat for comfort. My plan, and it is working slowly, but making the kinds of changes that can last:
- hungry - especially when you've overeaten for a while, it takes a while for your body to feel full after a smaller but still healthy portion. Lots of water, soda water with a couple of tbsps of fruit juice for flavor, edamame, carrots or celery (and as a treat popcorn) for lots of fibre and bulk and taking away the "empty" feeling without taking in too many calories.
- tired - this is harder. I'm trying to rest more while the baby sleeps. I also try to remind myself that sugar doesn't truly give you energy, it just makes you feel like it in the short term, but is harming you in the long term
- needing comfort - I'm giving myself more time reading a novel or knitting if I feel stressed, instead of reaching for brownies or cheesecake

I've never done a food diary but I've heard they work well especially for people who nibble throughout the day.

Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 07 2010, 8:00 pm
Writing down every bite you eat does really help, but doesn't necessarily keep you motivated. I have been doing really well on my diet for the past 2 months or so overall, but I still have had a few ups on the scale as well as the downs. One thing I find is that when I have a week where I do really well, I feel so confident that I'm going to just keep shedding the pounds, that I will be less strict and expect to magically get the same results. Never works out that way. And if I have a bad week, then I can easily spiral into depression and the whole "why bother" mentality. I am working hard to stay motivated. Sometimes I hang up inspirational quotes. Sometimes I pull out old pictures of myself with a much better body. Sometimes I tell myself that when I reach a certain short term goal I will reward myself (but not with food).

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:01 pm
Hey everyone- Op here. Thanks so much for your responses...
The the woman who banded- good for you. I have family members who did it and they look and feel great. I wish I could do it. Unfortunately Im "only" obese and would need to gain too much weight to qualify. Im waiting for insurance companies to approve the surgery for pple who need to lose around 50lbs. Thats me and I guess I feel too overwhelmed to lose that much weight. As long as I dont think about the numbers Im ok, but as one poster said- the "why bother" mentality keeps getting to me.

Freidasima- I love your post... Bh dh loves me the way I am... but I dont lol

I do have a weight loss buddy and another excersize buddy- going to gym twice a week. That part is great and I love excersizing. I already know what I want to wear in the summer lol. But I wont fit into it. WAAAAAA.....
Somebody hit me over the head. I was thinking of hypnosis... wonder if it would work.
I think it all boils down to me being too lazy to work hard. Any thoughts?

yentaof8

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:09 pm
Since so much of dieting is mental, I've always wondered about hypnosis as well. It's the cravings that are a killer in a diet if I could only eliminate the "need", I think I would be more successful. Please let me know if you find out about a reliable and trustworthy hypnotist, I'd be interested to try.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jan 11 2010, 12:37 pm
speakup wrote:
Hey everyone- Op here. Thanks so much for your responses...
The the woman who banded- good for you. I have family members who did it and they look and feel great. I wish I could do it. Unfortunately Im "only" obese and would need to gain too much weight to qualify. Im waiting for insurance companies to approve the surgery for pple who need to lose around 50lbs. Thats me and I guess I feel too overwhelmed to lose that much weight. As long as I dont think about the numbers Im ok, but as one poster said- the "why bother" mentality keeps getting to me.

Freidasima- I love your post... Bh dh loves me the way I am... but I dont lol

I do have a weight loss buddy and another excersize buddy- going to gym twice a week. That part is great and I love excersizing. I already know what I want to wear in the summer lol. But I wont fit into it. WAAAAAA.....
Somebody hit me over the head. I was thinking of hypnosis... wonder if it would work.
I think it all boils down to me being too lazy to work hard. Any thoughts?

If you have a co morbidity then you could be approved even if you're only 'obese'.

yentaof8 wrote:
Since so much of dieting is mental, I've always wondered about hypnosis as well. It's the cravings that are a killer in a diet if I could only eliminate the "need", I think I would be more successful. Please let me know if you find out about a reliable and trustworthy hypnotist, I'd be interested to try.
I know a woman who spent lots of money on hypnosis and said it didn't help even one bit. I know it's only one person.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise