Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you listen to non-jewish music?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 1:35 pm
I have listened for a long time, but now that I have kids I feel guilty letting them listen..does anyone listen? with kids? or just on your own? For some reason I don't feel so bad when my daughter listens but do when my baby son does...like its going to harm his neshama but not hers! Anyone feel like this?

amother

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 1:38 pm
oh I agree.... I feel so bad when I let them listen to non-jewish music.. But it's so hard! Esp, because their Grandma (not frum) listens to it!

I keep saying to myself...slowly l wean them off, slowly slowly.. G-d willing

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 3:03 pm
Imho as long as you check what kind of lyrics the music involve, the children are fine.
I listen to everything from Chava Alberstein and Eli Mellul to French pop and American trendy singers.

jewgal84

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 3:23 pm
Never have, IYH never will.

The Gym I go to has non-Jewish music being played, so I bring my ipod.

When you hear music your soul connects with the singer, I wouldnt want any connections with a non-Jew, esp. if there music is fowl and coarse!

tweety99

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 3:57 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Imho as long as you check what kind of lyrics the music involve, the children are fine.
I listen to everything from Chava Alberstein and Eli Mellul to French pop and American trendy singers.

most non jewish music nowadays has disgusting and unsuitable lyrics. 10 yrs ago it was different.

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:04 pm
""When you hear music your soul connects with the singer, I wouldnt want any connections with a non-Jew, esp. if there music is fowl and coarse""

This is a GREAT POINT!!!

Why listen to non jewish music. The point? Ok you enjoy it. But jewish music has such a range and can illicit so much more energy. We dont ever play non jewish music in our home, or on the radio.

Secbeb

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:06 pm
Quote:
""When you hear music your soul connects with the singer, I wouldnt want any connections with a non-Jew, esp. if there music is fowl and coarse""

I have heard this before and I would like to know the source. Could you get it for me?

alex

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:08 pm
I listen yo goishe music when the the kids are not around but only nice romantic music no rap

Last edited by alex on Sun, Jun 04 2006, 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total

merpk

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:11 pm
What precisely do you mean by "non-jewish music"?

Do you mean music with no Jewish content at all sung by nonJews? Does it include music by nonfrum Jews (eg., Bob Dylan)?

Does it include music with Jewish lyrical content but sung by nonfrum Jews (eg., Debbie Friedman)?

Does it include music by frum Jews with Jewish lyrical content but not Jewish musically (eg., Matisyahu as an obvious example, MBD as a less-obvious but equally valid example)?

Just looking for clarification.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:21 pm
So, are you only lsitening to music composed by frum yidden with payos?

then you can only hear niggunim. and even some of that comes from sources of where they were written.....

red sea

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:25 pm
Uummm, I think when someone says non jewish music they mean like the kind on the radio as opposed to bought in the sefarim store.

amother

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:28 pm
I grew up on jewish music, I rebelled with non jewish music, I now prefer a very few select jewish singers, but still use non jewish music when I am in a bad mood or feel that rebellious itch.

I try to keep the non jewish music to a minimum around the kids but I will not be a hypocrite to them.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 4:49 pm
all jewish music is not created equal.

you can't say niggunim is equal to shloch rock, for example.

amother

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 5:04 pm
original amother here...I meant radio music..pop music...whatever is popular at the time...it doesnt bother me when im alone..but for my kids I feel a little guilty.

shalhevet

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
original amother here...I meant radio music..pop music...whatever is popular at the time...it doesnt bother me when im alone..but for my kids I feel a little guilty.

Why?
Your neshama is important as well. Very Happy

jewgal84

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 5:55 pm
Secbeb wrote:
Quote:

I have heard this before and I would like to know the source. Could you get it for me?

Common sense for a start.

Quote:
but still use non jewish music when I am in a bad mood or feel that rebellious itch.

Here's a perfect example. People go to non jewish music as a rebellious itch bc the music they are listening to is getting them out of what they may currently be experiencing.

Soft music, makes you calm, loud music makes you rowdy (etc), why? Bc you are being emotionally connected to it through your neshama.

Will IYH look it up for you Very Happy !

Secbeb

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 6:00 pm
Quote:
Secbeb wrote:
Quote:

I think I figured out the answer to my question myself. Its from the expression "Words are the pen of the heart, music is the pen of the soul." Now where is that from. Anyone know?

Crayon210

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 6:16 pm
Supposedly the Alter Rebbe of Chabad, though I don't know the source.

3ver

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 6:32 pm
I grew up with jewish music - then as a teen I rebelled a bit and was obsessed with non-jewish music.. even once I got out of my rebellion stage - It took me a very long time to stop listening to non-jewish music since I was so hooked. So it was on and off- but the amazing thing is I could actually feel the connection to the music was dragging me down. I was hooked to a specific band and it brought out that something in me when I listened to it. All I want to say is - when you listen to music - its really powerful and you definitely do connect to the composer. With simple, shallow, pop music many times you don't notice it, but if the music is intense enough you can actually feel it.

tzivi

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 7:19 pm
I would definitely not listen to non jewish music. Music effects your neshomo, why would you want non jewish music getting into your neshomo??
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics