Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Child Walking Out of School

amother

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 2:56 pm
My friend called me today & told me this:

Her 3 yr old son's teacher called & told her that he & another boy wandered outside & were found on the sidewalk outside the school. My friend was obviously upset with her son for wandering, but she had to control herself from losing it. When her son is in school, the teachers are responsible to keep an eye on the kids at all times. I agreed with her. I used to teach 5 yr olds & never did a kid wander off. Fall of the monkey bars? Yes, Hurt another child? Yes. Take something from someone? Yes. But I always knew where everyone was. My friend is under the impression that he walked off while the class was walking back to the classroom & the front door of the school was left open.

To make it worse - they asked that she come pick her son up early - I guess as a punishment. I was shocked! My friend is switching schools for other reasons anyway so she didn't make a big stink, but still.

red sea

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 3:00 pm
AWFUL!!!!

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 3:01 pm
Totally unacceptable.

Flowerchild

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 3:38 pm
very irresponsible, it is the teachers responsibility to make sure all the kids are there and the door should of been closed.

granolamom

Post Wed, May 24 2006, 9:27 pm
it is the teachers responsibility to ensure the safety of their 3 year old students. this type of thing boils my blood.
when my dd was 4.5 she and two other classmates wandered into the school kitchen. she told me about it when she got home. I asked if their were any adults around and she said 'oh yes. the janitor was with us'
OMG!!!!!!!!!
B"H nothing happened, but the possiblities!!!!!!!!
when I called the school they assured me it had been taken care of and the girls were punished @@
they totally did not feel as though the teacher was at fault for not noticing that 3 girls had wandered off.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 11:41 am
It is a parents responsibility to see the child safely into school and with the teacher, till pick-up time it is the schools responsibility to know where the child is at all times. If it had been my son, I would have given the school a good yelling at. A three year old child, should never have had the oppertunity to get away from his class. thats why I pay tuition, so my child will be in a supervised learning enviroment. Punishing the child is silly, when it was the teachers fault.

Tefila

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 6:15 pm
Quote:
it is the teachers responsibility to ensure the safety of their 3 year old students. this type of thing boils my blood.
when my dd was 4.5 she and two other classmates wandered into the school kitchen. she told me about it when she got home. I asked if their were any adults around and she said 'oh yes. the janitor was with us'
OMG!!!!!!!!!

Ditto if anyone should be punished it should be the Teacher Mad Exclamation Exclamation

micki

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 9:30 pm
and yet my sons teacher was left alone with the class, the aide was elswhere, and 2 kids "ran away" the school is in someones house so it is pretty easy.
the teacher was horrified, but nothing she could have done could have prevented it.

granolamom

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 9:41 pm
that's a problem, don't you think?
it shouldn't be so easy for kids to run away

Tefila

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 11:26 pm
Quote:
and yet my sons teacher was left alone with the class, the aide was elswhere,

The aide shouldn't have left w/hout a substitute imo Exclamation

amother

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 4:44 am
This whole topic is very frustrating for me. I live in a country where safety standards and safety awareness are less than satisfactory.
My son goes to school on a van where there are NO seatbelts and the driver begins to drive off even before my son (age 3!!) is able to sit down. I've asked repeatedly for him to wait but somehow the driver hasn't gotten the message. I've started climbing on the bus WITH my son to make SURE he is sitting. Today they shtupped him into a seat that ALREADY HAD A KID IN IT!!!!!
The gate to his chaider is always left unlocked and I am confidant that if a child wanted to just walk out, they could.
They've just started a safety awareness org in our city so I called to get involved. I was told that though they appreciate my desire to help, it would be complicated since I'm a woman............how encouraging.
I really feel like people in my country live with this false sence of security "what's going to happen anyway?". We can only rely on "shomer pisayim hashem" so much and in the end, someone is going to chas v'shalom get hurt..........

amother

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 10:23 pm
This is completely unacceptable.

A little boy wandered off from a daycare providers watch last year. He wandered from the playground to a lake and drowned.

It is so sad. What a tragedy.

The day care provider lost track of the child.

I am appalled that your situation was handled the way it was. You should contact social services immediately.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers