Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Day/Night training together?

LuckyMum

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:59 am
I am trying to toilet train my 2 1/2 year old son for day and night together. So far after about a week he is pretty reliable during the day but the nights are a dissaster! I try to wake him in middle of the night to go - sometimes I catch it and sometmies its already in the bed.... every morning he comes to me wet, sometimes even dirty.
Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to get him to stay dry at night too?
Do you think its too much for him and I should drop the night thing for now and let him sleep in diapers?

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:03 am
I wouldnt do bth together, I think its too young to night train and also together to much for them to cope with. its much easier to night train an older child. is there a reason why ur doing both together

e1234

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:06 am
I have heard that it is very good to train nights together .
I was never successful at it but my kids wet till late.
my 5 year old is still in a diaper at night - I am just hoping she will grow out of it. (before she grows out of the diapers)

LuckyMum

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:21 am
I am trying both together cuz I really dont want to confuse him with mixed messages, "now you cant make in your pants but at night its ok to do that"
Has anyone been successful at night training this young or is it just a fantasy that I should give up on before my washing machine has a breakdown ;-)

Newsie

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 7:49 am
I think it depends on the kid. My 4 year old isn;t night trained yet and my 2 year old just got day trained and has been having totally dry diapers after a night- maybe don't push your kid. It may not be something they can handle

tweety99

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 9:01 am
I would say drop the night training.
my 3.5 yr old ds still wears a diaper at night and is perfectly dry durin the day and I wouldnt dream of not putting it on him as its always soaking wet in the morning!
someone once told me that a sign when they are ready for night training is that their diaper is basically dry in the morning.
im not pushing him at the moment.

acccdac

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:34 am
my first son was trained at day by 2 1/2 but at night it wasnt until 4.

My second was trained at day by 2 1/2 and night by 3.

I know people who do both at the same time, but not every kids can do it.

I dont believe in waking a child when night training and my kids were night trained without me having to do that. I would just look at their diaper and notice when it was dry and always told them that when they are ready, and I find 3 dry diapers in a row we'll stop using diapers and get a present. It worked for both.

oh and just a side point, tried the whole pull up thing, they leak, cost more money, and since you'll only be using them for night it really doesnt help out with the "ease of putting on" concept. Just use diapers.

I dont think they find ti confusing. During the day we dont wear diapers but at night, since we sleep for such a long time and cant remind ourselves to wake up we wear a diaper. I dont think that is confusing for a child. Remember they are more simple then us, so its simply with clothes I wear underware and with pjs I wear diapers

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:41 am
I trained one kid for both together, because she was waking up dry every morning anyway and she didn't want a diaper for night time. My other wore dd diapers at night only for a few months. She didn't get mixed up by it.

2 1/2 is very young to be trained at night. I wouldn't put pressure on a kid at any age but certainly not such a young one. When he's ready, you'll see that he'll start waking up with dry diapers.

You should not tell him it's okay to wet his diaper at night. Encourage him to use the bathroom while he's awake, even after the diaper is on. The diaper is only for use while he's asleep.

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:52 am
Why would it be confusing for him to be day trained and not night trained. My son is 2.5 and is day trained fully. When he wears a pamper before bedtime he'll ask me if he could make wet his pamper lol. Hes so cute bh. This shows that he gets the concept clearly. Dont see it being confusing. I think its way too much and too traumatic for your son to be training for so much at once, it might backfire completely. It is hard for us to imagine that toilet training is hard for them, but it is supposed to be a HUGE step so I wouldnt suggest you overdo it now. Get him well trained for the day, I think this would make it even easier for you to train him by night simply cuz hes got the concept. The thing hell have to learn is to control himself, which while asleep isnt always in his control- its a part of the brain that needs to be fully developed. But thats a separate topic.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:57 am
All my kids were dry at night before they were dry in the day, so I trained together. But that was because I saw the signals. I agree with those who say that you have to do what's right for YOUR child.

One thing that is essential for successful night training is to be sure that they go just before sleep time, and again first thing when they wake up in the morning. If you try that when he is in diapers, and you find that the diapers are staying dry, then you can try undies at night. Trust your sense as to his readiness.

acccdac

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 12:00 pm
oh and just a side point, my first son went without underwear for a good 4 months if not longer during the day, because he would have accidents.

my second son, he sleeps without underwear, whenever we put it on he wets the bed. I probably could try it since its been 7 months since we did the night training, but I figure why mess with a good thing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training