Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Any ideas for gas relief aside from Mylicon?
1  2  Next

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:11 am
My baby (3.5 months) is b'H really happy and only cries when he is hungry or uncomfortable. I noticed that he is VERY gassy, and started using Mylicon drops at some feedings. It only seems to help a little, though. Since he is not nursing at all, I know it isn't from food that I'm eating. Does anyone have any other gas remedies? I've noticed he is extremely gassy early in the mornings, after his 6 AM feed and also when he wakes up around 8, even though I give him Mylicon at that last feeding. Any ideas? TIA!

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:12 am
I was told and found it worked to put him on his stomach as much as possible while awake

myfriends715

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:19 am
gripe water

amother

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:40 am
cocyntal from boiron its homeopathic but work wonders for my daughter

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:42 am
I second grape water. Its a concentrated extract of peppermint, chamomile (I think) and fennel. You can also make some tea and give it to him.
Or try pumping his legs. I find that gives my babies gas relief.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:44 am
Tight swaddling, tummy pressure, playing 'bicycle' with her legs, keep her upright after feeding.

These have all helped me.

fiddle

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:44 am
third "gripe" water.... works better than mylicone. well actually rather it works as opposed to mylicone.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:46 am
Someone told me that boiling caraway seeds in water and feeding the water to the baby worked like magic. I didn't try it because I wanted more info on it first, but she swears by it.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:51 am
I think they sell baby gas-x. never used it so dont know, but what about the kind of formula he is getting? perhaps u can use the ones that are made to reduce gas? my sil had that problem and I think it worked well once she switched.

shabri

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:53 am
can you change the formula or more importantly the bottle you are using. Could be the bottle is letting in too much air.

cookiemilk

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:55 am
Seraph wrote:
I second grape water. Its a concentrated extract of peppermint, chamomile (I think) and fennel. You can also make some tea and give it to him.

she means gripe water, its brittish and some health food stores in the states import it. I used fennel seed tea for my own gas pains when I had internal bleeding, long story but it worked wonders and releived the gas in minutes. I bought tea bags at the health food store and steeped them in water. I also gave it to my babies. As far as I know its safe and its an ancient remedy for baby colic.

L K

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:56 am
Hold babies legs at the knees, bend them and move them towards his tummy, hard enough (don't do it in front of baby's grandparents so as not to freak them out); similar to the way the doc presses his legs into his tummy at the checkup. It does not hurt them, you will hear the gas being released immediately. (sorry for being so descriptive) This is a real life saver: fast, free, works right away. Repeat as needed.

STovah

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 6:58 am
Try chamomile tea

Seraph

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 7:16 am
cookiemilk wrote:
Seraph wrote:

she means gripe water, its brittish and some health food stores in the states import it. I used fennel seed tea for my own gas pains when I had internal bleeding, long story but it worked wonders and releived the gas in minutes. I bought tea bags at the health food store and steeped them in water. I also gave it to my babies. As far as I know its safe and its an ancient remedy for baby colic.
You're right. I got confused because in hebrew its called "grep water".

clew

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:02 am
I actually just posted a great recipe of essential oils to use for gas and bloating.

You can view it on my blog: http://chana-lew.blogspot.com/......html

I have used it on tiny babies. It's very safe.

You might also consider changing the formula.

Good luck

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:46 am
thanks for all the responses!

I will definitely buy gripe water, and if that fails to work I'll try tea or one of the concoctions posted.

I put him on his stomach when he's gassy, but he really hates tummy time so it doesn't last long. bicycling his legs gets some gas out but it's hard to do that at 5:30 AM, and it doesn't usually make him happy either.

I can't change his formula. he reacted badly to regular milk-based and to soy, so now he's on milk-based lactose free. the only other choice would be nutramigen/elementum but it's very expensive and he seems happy aside from the gas so I'm not going to switch. his bottles are the ones that are supposed to eliminate gas, so I'm sure I could try another kind that claims this, but for now it just seems silly.

anyhow, thanks for the advice!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:50 am
We use the Dr. Brown's bottles...are those the ones that you use?

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:54 am
no, I use the Avent gas-reducing ones. (they have an extra piece that isn't in the regular ones)

I'm debating buying a Dr. Browns bottle. problem is, if I only buy one I'll be doing a lot of washing, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a whole bunch if they don't work.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:59 am
My oldest DD had a lot of gas and we switched to the Dr. Browns and they are terrific! For the twins I didnt bother with any other bottles and just started them on Dr. Browns and they had a lot less gas.

Yes, its annoying to wash all the pieces, but those bottles really do work!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 11:00 am
Also, you can just buy one package and see if they work...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics