Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Carriers?
1  2  Next

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 9:58 am
Can anyone recommend an excellent front baby carrier that is VERY strong and sturdy and will fit a plus sized (very large on top) mother well?

Someone gave us a snugli and while it "fits" my back hurts after 2 min. It also appears to be rather flimsy.

TIA!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 10:07 am
Yeah, Snugli won't cut it.

Are you trying to carry both twins at once, or just want the carrier to hold one at a time?

Some wraps/pouches allow for wearing twins (though I have obviously never done it!)

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 10:11 am
Naw, with my back I think holding two at once is too much to ask for. DH wants to try it though Rolling Eyes

I was looking online at the baby bjorns, but they are not cheap, so I want to know if they are worth it before I spend the money...maybe I should look on ebay!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 10:20 am
Not worth it.
Read this: http://www.thebabywearer.com/I.....wplus
Most carriers that are "structured" (meaning you buckle on a contraption that has a seat already made for the baby) are not that great for bigger parents...

I think a wrap might be your best option at this time -- as long as it's long enough, it can be spread out very well over your shoulders to distribute the weight well.

3tammuz

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 1:19 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Not worth it.
Read this: http://www.thebabywearer.com/I.....wplus
Most carriers that are "structured" (meaning you buckle on a contraption that has a seat already made for the baby) are not that great for bigger parents...

I think a wrap might be your best option at this time -- as long as it's long enough, it can be spread out very well over your shoulders to distribute the weight well.

The snuggli hurt my back and it was not because it was too small. the bjorn was okay, but not for long, long periods.

I second TBW - there is lots of information on the site. There is also a section for moms of multiples/carrying two. A wrap has a steeper learning curve in terms of use than other carriers, but might be the most practical now. A mei tai is not structured and most companies will make one with extra length in the straps if you like. On TBW, there is a for sale section, so you can get things cheaper or sell a carrier if you don't like it. Also look in your area for a lending library for carriers- that way you can borrow and try before buying.

pinkbubbles

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 2:27 pm
maybe a hiking type of carrier? they're more expensive though.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 3:56 pm
How big is big? I am a 36f/g, and the Baby Bjorn was amazing.

Inspired

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 5:23 pm
Definitely do not get the bjorn. Besides being uncomfortable for the parent its also unhealthy for the baby. For the money you can get something that is neither of the above and also usable much longer.
There are many threads here on the different kinds of good carriers out there. Some good ones are wraps, slings, and mei tais. Also a buckle tai or half buckle might work we;;; for you. You really should research and see what works for you.

Mirabelle

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 5:57 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
How big is big? I am a 36f/g, and the Baby Bjorn was amazing.

I'm like a 38J/k (depends on the brand), so pretty close!
Thanks for the info!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 6:17 pm
I just got a Babyhawk maitai and I love it

(be careful if you get from ebay to get a name brand, I almost got taken in by a 1-woman operation that makes horrible ones)

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 9:36 pm
DiznyIma wrote:
Naw, with my back I think holding two at once is too much to ask for. DH wants to try it though Rolling Eyes

I was looking online at the baby bjorns, but they are not cheap, so I want to know if they are worth it before I spend the money...maybe I should look on ebay!

Skip the bjorn. It works till the baby is 15 lbs. then its worthless. It will hurt your back terribly. I would look into an Ergo, if you want easy, if you want something less conventional, there a wraps and mei teis. I personally prefer buckles.

Inspired

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 6:16 am
I've posted this link before, its worth looking at if you haven't yet- http://www.slingbabies.co.nz/S......ashx

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 9:54 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

(be careful if you get from ebay to get a name brand, I almost got taken in by a 1-woman operation that makes horrible ones)
L'toeles -- can you please post the name of the ebay seller so others won't be tempted to buy from her?

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 10:41 am
For a heavy little one- I would recommend a woven wrap.
The Baby Wearer- http://www.thebabywearer.com is a great place to start looking.
Although- I would think that a good mei tai- like Babyhawk or Kozy would also be good.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jan 18 2010, 7:58 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

L'toeles -- can you please post the name of the ebay seller so others won't be tempted to buy from her?

cuddlingbaby mei tais. she also sells on other sites with other names. Her real name is vonnie bloom and she lives in FL http://cuddlingbaby.com/default.aspx. The issues with her carriers are 1) poor customer service/contact/shipping time 2) fabric is not always reinforced 3) straps are not always sewn on in the best way 4)many ppl complain about the smell of the MT (smoke smell)

I ordered mine 11/28, she said it was ready to ship 12/9. Had not received it by 12/17 so I asked for my money back. never responded so I opened a dispute on ebay 12/19. She never responded to dispute to paypal gave me back my $$ on 12/27.

I ordered a babyhawk for much more and received it that week (xmas week)

3 days ago the cuddling baby MT arrived in the mail

May

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 4:51 pm
I haven't tried it yet, but the MOBY wrap - from my research - seems to be good for your purposes. Here is the description from the Babies R Us site:

"The design of the Moby Wrap Baby Carrier uses your entire back, as well as your shoulders, to carry the weight of your baby. Unlike other carriers, which have narrow straps or go across one shoulder, the Moby™ Wrap is a wide piece of fabric that is wrapped over both shoulders. It is amazingly comfortable and easy to wear. There are no buckles, snaps or other fasteners. It is easy to adjust the fit of your Moby™ Wrap by varying how tightly you wrap yourself and your baby.... "

I am thinking of trying this, as my Baby Bjorn (borrowed) is very hard on my back.
You can search online how to make it yourself if you don't want to spend the moeny. It sounds somewhat simple.

rosehill

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:14 pm
I made an SSC similar to the Ergo, and shlepped my baby all around Israel in it. They're pricey to buy, but maybe you can find a used one on TBW or Ebay. I have a shoulder/neck problem, and it wasn't aggravated at all.

Inspired

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:38 pm
May wrote:
I haven't tried it yet, but the MOBY wrap - from my research - seems to be good for your purposes. Here is the description from the Babies R Us site:

"The design of the Moby Wrap Baby Carrier uses your entire back, as well as your shoulders, to carry the weight of your baby. Unlike other carriers, which have narrow straps or go across one shoulder, the Moby™ Wrap is a wide piece of fabric that is wrapped over both shoulders. It is amazingly comfortable and easy to wear. There are no buckles, snaps or other fasteners. It is easy to adjust the fit of your Moby™ Wrap by varying how tightly you wrap yourself and your baby.... "

I am thinking of trying this, as my Baby Bjorn (borrowed) is very hard on my back.
You can search online how to make it yourself if you don't want to spend the moeny. It sounds somewhat simple.

a MOBY is really not great after 15 lbs. or so. And not versatile at all. It is a great begining carrier for a newborn though.

sugaray

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 5:50 pm
ive also been interested in getting a baby carrier and the Moby wrap looks cool. but I am really inexperienced with the carriers since every one ive tried, I gave up on because my babies get fat really fast and my back kills. I have a front wearing snugli and a hip carrier (forgot the name) with a buckle. both really hurt.
does anyone know if this Moby wrap works well for a baby that is big and heavy?
also, how long does it take to wrap it each time you wear it? I think that if it took me a long time each time, id probably have no patience to do it all the time...

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 6:45 pm
My babies are currently in the 12 pound range..I know that weight gain slows down as they get bigger, so I have no idea how long time will take them to get to 15 pounds. They are almost 4 months and have already doubled their weight, but they were preemies...so, it's hard to know.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics