Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
A "fake" sheitl

mamamea

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 12:38 pm
Okay I have a very good sheitl that I am really not in love with. I wish I was because it is good hair and cost way too much money not to be happy with but that is another story. So..... what is your opinion on getting a sheitl at one of the boutique stores ie a wig that is made of synthetic hair and not made with jews in mind. (you know what I'm talking about) that cost about $50 or so.

If you say go for where in Manhattan or Toronto can I get one?

Thanks!

louche

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 12:49 pm
Go for it, why not? Many people use only synthetic and are very happy with it. And the upkeep can't be beat!

Even if you decide in the end that you don't like it, the outlay was minimal. Most of us have probably spent that much or more on an outfit or pair of shoes that we ended up hating and not wearing.

Starhavah

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 1:17 pm
I was trying to think "what is a fake sheitel"!?! DH that is when you put on a regular headband (no hear attached) and pretend you are wearing a band fall. LOL

Seriously, a wig is a wig is a wig. There is nothing special about ones for Jews (except price and if there is real hair in it - it can't be hair that was cut for avodah zara reasons). it is not like tzittzit there is no bracha to say before making one or special k'vana you need to have.

mamamea

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 1:20 pm
I know:) I guess I was wondering if anyone know how long they last and good place to get one in manhatten or toronto

thanks!

shnitzel

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 1:41 pm
Mimi's Wigs in Toronto sells nice synthetic sheitels.

In Manhattan all the black/hispanic women's salons sell synthetics, my friends have bought them and really liked them. There are a ton of them in Washington Heights and around 34th street. I haven't seen them anywhere else.

They will last 2 -3 months and then look like straw. But they can be a lot of fun!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 3:29 pm
You might have to pay for a cut as it might not suit your face ... and it might not cover your payos.

chatz

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 3:42 pm
There's tons of wig sellers/hair places in the black neighborhoods in Brooklyn. You can probably find them in any black neighborhood (Caribbean blacks - I got an education in the difference between them & other blacks LOL).

I was never brave enough to try it, but I know someone who uses them. The $50 wigs are the expensive ones. But I don't think they come with combs/clips, so you'd need to put them in.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 15 2010, 4:32 pm
I bought a synthetic pony sheital years back. It was really heavy on my head....andnever covered my payos right. And yes, I added the comb in the front.

penguin

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 1:35 am
You might want to try Paula Young

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 9:51 am
Paula Young wigs tend to be too small for me, and they don't have my color, 1B or 2. Their Especially Yours division may be worth checking out.
And sure, try ye old wig shoppe. You may want to take your husband with as there's usually no returns or exchanges allowed.

jasmine

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 10:49 pm
[size=12]we have had this discussion before., after I got over what the neighbors will say, after I even considered not buying a $1200+ custom out of the box, like who cares anyway, you will find all around brooklyn, NYC, and other major cities there are so many of these black hispanic beauty supply stores...I bought two of them a number 4 mid neck straight length and a cute short wedge cut...with both shaitels I got so many complements....you may have to take it to a shaitel macher to get it cut a bit....which of course will be much more than the shaitel costs, I paid $29.99 for the shaitel, $40 for he cut...but it will be worth it...easy up keep, big time...will need to add combs, but alas, after a while, say 4-6 months, depending on how much you wear it, it does begin to look and feel like straw...but its no big deal, just buy a new one, and repeat the process over and over....whose to know, and who cares...and bottom line you will keep your husband and your bank balance happy.. better geared to dark colors, I think a #6 is about the safest lightest color you will find at these stores...#2 is for japs, like in race, #4 is good, then they get kind of weird, like a #4 with magenta and blue highlights...great for purim. for blondes, and such maybe paula young, raquel welch, has a better selection than your neighborly bronx, brooklyn, beauty supply store/ Also, got a great bangle bracelet at these stores, like for a $1.00, and the list goes on...its fun to check out............................[/size]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels