Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Do you have guests Shabbos dinner/lunch or both?

Which meal do you have Shabbos guests?
Dinner usually  
 20%  [ 9 ]
Lunch usually  
 29%  [ 13 ]
Either one, I have no preference  
 27%  [ 12 ]
Often both dinner and lunch of the same Shabbos  
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 44

amother

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 1:42 pm
Do you generally have guests both Lunch and Dinner of the same Shabbos?

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 1:44 pm
I try and invite people over friday night, just because thats an easier meal to cook for, and the house is tidier, but we usually end up bringing home guests for lunch as well. If we invite families with kids, it's usually lunch too.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 1:46 pm
I hardly have guests. For some reason, people don't really do it around here. At best they meet for snack/4-5 pm meal on shabbes.

But when we did, the person was there from before to after shabbes.

pinktichel

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 2:23 pm
always have guests for both meals.

shev

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 2:24 pm
I like having guests for lunch rather than friday night bec I find to prepare lunch is easier than to prepare the friday night meal but sometimes well have guests for both

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 2:24 pm
in the summer I often invite people over for shalosh seudos rather then lunch, people are a bit more soicable then and not pining for thier shluf. Wink And we have time to tidy up a bit!

imaima

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
Do you generally have guests both Lunch and Dinner of the same Shabbos?

we used to do both, but now only lunch and very seldom seuda shlishit

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 6:23 pm
Pretty much just for yomtov, unless there's a special reason. We're tired on Friday night and by day dh eats in shul.

Tova

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 8:14 pm
Once every so often, and always give them the choice of meals. I never mix-and-match guests. I always invite only one single/couple/family as then we can tailor conversation and such just to them.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 8:21 pm
We almost every week have guests for lunch. Unless we're away, or manage to go out. We rarely have guests for Fri. nt. dinner, because it's easier with kids during the day (both ours and theirs) and that way we can be relaxed and get to bed early and dh can study up for his shiur the next day.

If we do have guests on Fri. nt. usually it's either singles or people without kids.

Plonis

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 8:31 pm
Usualy invite Friday night but we have a permanent (so far) sleepover Shabbos guest so he's here Shabbos day too.

cm

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 8:49 pm
Ack, I clicked the wrong choice by mistake! Lunch only, unless we have overnight guests, which is rare. I am really a morning person.

yodikat

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 9:20 pm
Friday night meal. My parents come to me every Friday night and them we have some nephews who are learning in town

ClaRivka

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 9:27 pm
if we invite someone and they want to come for lunch I have no problem but were both usually insnely tired in the morning and the conversation might not flow as easily then.
also for lunch when its just the 2 of us I only serve chulent (sometimes fish) so its easier if ppl come friday night.

chicco

Post Sat, Jan 16 2010, 10:38 pm
We have guests often for both meals. Not always on the same week, but it is not unusual if we do. My single sister also lives near by so she is over quite a bit. Not sure if that counts as guests though.

I prefer having guests Friday night, as I find it easier to prepare for/have hot food.... But I do make the effort for shabbos day as I did this week.

My husband and I enjoy a quite meal now and again when we indulge in our favor menu items and enjoy each other's company without too much distraction.

mbasya

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 11:23 pm
Both meals every week. Shabbos day is usually more spontaneous...... whoever was brought home from shul..........

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 11:25 pm
We have move in guests many times but if we have guest in the winter and it's for one meal then it's usually friday night.

MetroMom

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 11:32 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Pretty much just for yomtov, unless there's a special reason. We're tired on Friday night and by day dh eats in shul.

Where do you eat Shabbos day while your husband eats in shul?

michal817

Post Tue, Jan 19 2010, 11:13 pm
If we have guests sleeping over (which is usually the case), then we obviously have them for both meals, otherwise it's usually just lunch. Not that I have a problem with guests coming Friday night, it just doesn't normally end up happening. What

levial

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:43 am
When I was first married I couldn't handle it. Now that I have 1 dd, and one on the way, I see the "economy of scale" to having guests at both meals. Usually we invite someone with kids for lunch so she has playdates if the weather's too cold for her to go to shul with abba (she's 4).

Sometimes its nice to fill the house with guests. I cook nicer food (per Seraph's post) and make more of an effort (china or nice disposables vs. everyday plastic disposables.) from sheitel to manner of dress, to ensuring torah talk at the table.

I've also matured to allow people to help me serve, clear, etc. I used to feel like I was to shlep everything back and forth, get up and down. Now I have this great system of serving and it goes smoother. I am slightly backside retentitive about "ok, here is the container for this, this goes on the counter when you're done" but that's what people are looking for when they help - direction. I even get menfolk involved, esp. singles - I say "the most attractive thing about DH when we were dating was how helpful he was at the table." (it wasn't but it was something that really represented him nicely)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics