Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to change meals

ianaii

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 7:31 am
My dd will be 6 months soon and I have been told that she needs to eat more real food now.

Right now she eats 4 times a day 180 ml formula and her fourth meal at night is formula with a spoon of rice cereal.

Do I need to start giving her cereal with all her formula?

If I give her pureed fruit or veg. how much is considered a meal? Can I just give her that and skip the formula?

Basically I am kinda confused because she seems to being doing fine with the way she is eating now. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, I give her sometimes tea biscuits of a piece of bread to chew on, but I am so scared of choking chas vshalom. Any tips?
Thanks!

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 7:37 am
1. I skip the bread until much later. It becomes gummy and you're right, a choking hazard.

2. You don't NEED to introduce food now, if you don't want to. Although if she seems hungry, it's also not too early.

3. I never gave cereal in a bottle, only by spoon. If DD still has a tongue thrust reflex when you try then she's not ready for food.

4. For pureed fruit/veggies...I usually mixed the cereal in with that. But my kids never liked the really runny baby food, they preferred some texture. Then you can nurse, or give a bottle as usual. After the first few times you'll know how much formula baby's taking after a few spoonsful of food.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 17 2010, 7:38 am
Oh, and NO, DON'T SKIP THE FORMULA! The formula has the vitamins and nutrients that she needs...she will not yet be getting a balance in her food, so the formula will continue to be her main source.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics