Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I can make dinner in less than 15 minutes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ABC

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 5:15 am
Cheers

this is now my favorite thread Very Happy

thanks!

Inspired

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 7:23 am
Todays lunch took about 15 minutes to make, I think. I mafde soup- sauted sliced onions and garlic, cut up carrots, added barley and some beans that I let preboil while I was doing the rest, added spices and water.
Put spices on turkey legs put in the oven. Sauted onions and made orzo. The turkey and soup cooked for about an hour and a half.

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 8:02 am
Shish Ka Bobs
these are SO versatile....

you can use beef chunks, strips of beef (like for pepper steak), cubed chicken breast, hot dogs or sausage, or even leftover chicken!

you can add veggies- like onions, mushrooms, peppers, squash, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, pineapple.... you name it!

it tastes best if you marinate the things before, but even 5 minutes in a sauce will do it. I've used bottled teriyaki sauce, bottled italian dressing, and my own mix of spices and oil. thinking of doing a BBQ sauce sometime.

just string the veggies and meat onto a wooden skewer, lay over a 9x13 pan so that they can cook thoroughly, and broil on 400 for about 12 minutes (a little longer for chicken).

serve with a grain, like rice or pasta and voila! an easy, yummy meal!

Sausage & Potatoes
This is a real "Man Supper" and it's sooo easy. Goes great with leftover veggie kugels.

Ingredients:
1 big can potatoes (fresh potatoes work but take longer)
1 large sausage or keilbasa, or a few hot dogs
1 onion
spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika

Dice onion & fry in a little oil. Cut potatoes into chunks. (If using real potatoes, microwave them first and peel if desired). Slice sausage into circles (medium thick). Add to onions and season. The paprika gives it a nice color and adds flavor too. Cook about 10 minutes.

Fettuccine Alfredo
YUMMERS.
Goes great with salmon and/or an easy veggie like broccoli.

Ingredients:
1/2 package fettuccine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup (bit less than one stick) butter (not margarine)
salt & pepper
optional: chopped mushrooms or parsley flakes

Boil noodles. Drain but do not rinse. Heat butter in pot until melted. Add cream and cheese. Cook until melted (3-5 minutes) but don't let it boil. It will be very liquidy but the starch from the noodles will thicken it. Add the noodles and stir. Top with more parsley flakes or parmesan cheese.

Philly Sandwiches
An all-time fave in our house!

1 package flip steak or pepper steak
1 onion
1 green pepper (optional. DH hates this part so I leave it out)
1 clove garlic, chopped, or the equivalent from the jar
salt & pepper or steak seasoning
buns or hoagie rolls

Saute all ingredients together until soft and cooked through. Spoon onto sliced rolls. We like to then add some pareve Caesar dressing, in place of the usual cheese. Delish!

(course, on our current diet, we can't have any of these!! I miss my food variety.)

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 8:03 am
last nights dinner:
shnitzel
snap peas
garlic spaghetti

Put spaghetti on to boil.
Put sugar snap peas on to boil.
Egged, breaded and fried shnitzel.
Strained spaghetti and put in bowl. added crushed garlic cubes, parsley, olive oil and soy sauce.
Strained snap peas and put them back in the pot with some sesame oil, tamari, garlic and onion powder. Added sesame seeds and tossed.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 8:48 am
miriamg wrote:
Baked hamburgers also have an <15 minute prep time. However, mine always come out dry unless I manage to time it perfectly with supper (which never happens). Any suggestions?

I make large, flat burgers (4 burgers for every 1 lb of meat) and bake at 425, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
They are never dry.

SV

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 9:25 am
ABC wrote:
Cheers

this is now my favorite thread Very Happy

thanks!

Me too - I am happy I started it last night! Thank you everybody for the fabulous recipes - please keep them coming!

SV

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 9:26 am
ra_mom wrote:
miriamg wrote:
Baked hamburgers also have an <15 minute prep time. However, mine always come out dry unless I manage to time it perfectly with supper (which never happens). Any suggestions?

I make large, flat burgers (4 burgers for every 1 lb of meat) and bake at 425, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
They are never dry.

Can I have your recipe for the burgers please?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:15 am
I also bake my burgers, but I cover them and bake on 350. I started making them into fun shapes- hearts, squares, triangles... and my kids suddenly love eating them. And my recipe is extremely simple. I just take ground beef, add a lot of Marinara sauce and spices, mix and shape them. I bake them for about half an hour, turning them over after 20 minutes. Prep time is about 5 minutes.

Classicookie

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:27 am
Beritos
Use choped meat, turkey or chiken
put in a frying pan and add one can crused tomatos then add a pack of taco sesoning ( you can spice it yourself. If you want) mix it the add in 2 cups cooked rice mix it all up and cook till brouned
As. Persnal taste you can add onions pepper can corn tibbits beans

Then just put in a wrap and eat

sky

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:29 am
Grilled/Broiled chicken.
From start to finish 15 minutes and its somewhat healthy. Mix soy sauce, lemon juice and lots of garlic powder in bag. Remove some marinade.
Add chicken cutlets to the bag. Mix. Broil or grill for about 5 minutes per side.
Mix reserved marinade with mayo and a drop of sugar. Use as dressing for lettuce, cucumber and tomato.

Sesame chicken
mix cornflake crumbs with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
Clean and dry 2 1/2 lbs chicken cutlets.
Cut into nugget sizes.
Dip chicken in egg and then the cornflake crumbs.
I use bags for the egg and cornflake crumbs. Its faster and cuts down on bowls to clean later.
Bake in a grease baking pan at 370 for about 25 minutes or until done.

mix:
1 cup duck sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sesame seeds

Pour on top of chicken and reheat until heated through.

Serve.

momaholic

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:48 am
I made tacos this week . I bought the ortega tacos that come with seasoning in the box.
put the tacos in the oven on 350 for 3-4 minutes. brown the chop meat. add 3/4 C water and the spices. mix. I make a salad on the side but, you can also put tomatoes and lettuce in the taocs.
it was really yum.
other options are chicken and broccoli, beef/chicken burgers, shnitzel on the george foreman.

sys

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 10:50 am
oooooohhhh!!!! gonna have some yummy supper tonight. love this thread.
last night supper: fried fish - flavored bread crumbs, egg with honey and hoisen sauce mixed in. bread fish and fry for a few min. each side.
edamames; boil water. add edamemes and salt. cook for 5 min max. drain and shock with cold water to stop the cooking proccess. add more salt if desired. (supposed to be on the salty side)
rice. boil water add drop of salt & oil to the pot to prevent dryness. add rice, and spices. I like to add paprika for color too.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:02 am
dinner in less than 15 minutes? I want a whole shabbos in less than 15 minutes and it has to be healthy as well.
So here is mine.
Condition - everything is already checked for bugs and is kept in the freezer.

1) put lentils into pot with barley (black, orange, yellow, brown, green lentils). Add one peeled onion, three peeled and sliced carrots, one large peeled potato. Add salt, garlic, water. Cover and cook until soft. (that's about five minutes) boil for an hour. You have your soup.

2) put boiling water (use electric kettle) on brown rice, cover 3/4 and simmer on a low flame until soft. (2 minutes prep) simmer about 30 minutes. You have your friday nite starch.

3) Take two chickens whole and put in the oven at 350, uncovered, with garlic and paprika on them. Turn over after 45 minutes. Bake total 90 minutes. (2 minutes prep).

4) At the same time wrap a few potatoes and sweet potatoes in aluminum foil, put in aluminum foil pan in oven on a different rack from the chicken. Bake along with the chicken and if not done when chicken is done, raise temp and do for longer. (cleaning and wrapping, 3 minutes prep).

5) Dessert. Take 2 cups soy milk, 2 cups water and 2 T sugar. Put in saucepan and bring to the boil (about five minutes). Meanwhile in 8 oz glass put in 4 oz soymilk and 3 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch and a shpritz of real vanilla extract. Mix until cornstarch dissolves. When soymilk mixture begins to rise with the boil pour in the soymilk=cornstarch=vanilla mixture. It thickens immediately. Boil for another 2 mintues and take off the flame. (so far 7 min). Let cool and pour over cake or cookies (last time you made doubles) set out in a large flat cake pan. Decorate with fruit of the season. (another 3 minutes) Refrigerate.

You then have the following:
Friday nite - soup, rice, chicken, dessert. All you have left to do is make salads right before shabbos.
Sat lunch - chicken, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, dessert. If you want cholent it's a different story. But this works for the summers just fine.

Total prep time
Total prep time for all of shabbos - 22 min.
Total cooking time for all of shabbos - 90 minutes (which includes roasting the chickens)

melalyse

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:08 am
I don't know how you guys do it, half of these meals take me a lot longer than 15 min. Stuffed shells is my fancy dinner, It takes me 20 min to stuff all of the shells, besides the time that it takes me to mix the mixture and boil the shells. Making meatballs also takes me lots of time, as does stuffed peppers. What's the secret? My quick meals are lasagna and chicken with duck sauce and rice.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:10 am
I like the ortega tacos too- brown the meal, drain, add seasoning. Cut up veggies to put into tacos. Put taco shells into microwave if desired.

My favorite crockpot meal is beef/lamb/veal stew. Pick a meat, rinse & put into crockpot. Slice whatever vegetables you want to put in. I usually put in onions, potatoes & carrots. Add spices & amount of water desired. Turn on crockpot. Continue going about your day.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:11 am
momaholic wrote:
I made tacos this week . I bought the ortega tacos that come with seasoning in the box.
put the tacos in the oven on 350 for 3-4 minutes. brown the chop meat. add 3/4 C water and the spices. mix. I make a salad on the side but, you can also put tomatoes and lettuce in the taocs.
it was really yum.
other options are chicken and broccoli, beef/chicken burgers, shnitzel on the george foreman.

we also put pickles in our tacos. My kids love it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:11 am
I can't even begin to start...almost all my meals are 15 minutes prep time or less....

momaholic

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:15 am
we also put pickles in our tacos. My kids love it.[/quote]

I put it in the salad! my husband doesnt like the veggies in the taco itself, so I make a salad instead.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:19 am
momaholic wrote:
we also put pickles in our tacos. My kids love it.

I put it in the salad! my husband doesnt like the veggies in the taco itself, so I make a salad instead.[/quote]

I don't actually make the tacos. I put the pan of meat, bowls of veggies & warmed shells on the table. My DH serves himself & the kids tells me what to put in theirs when we sit down.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 20 2010, 11:24 am
SV wrote:
Can we play a game of “I can make dinner in under 15 minutes”? Two rules:

1. It has to be real dinner – no cheating like “pull out frozen french fries from the freezer and stick in the oven for 15 minutes” or “boil pasta, drain, pour ketchup over it, serve” etc. It doesn’t have to be a fancy 3 course meal, but it has to be something nutritious and filling (and somewhat kid-friendly).

2. The prep time should be under 15 minutes – cooking time not included. Meaning, I only care about the time I need to spend in the kitchen actually patchking around, I don’t care if afterwards the crockpot takes another 8 hours to make the food edible.

Who’s up for a challenge? I am really desperate here…

I was just thinking about this yesterday! Thank you for doing it first. Smile
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics