Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Another chicken challenge

sa613

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:36 pm
Thanks to all those who participated in yesterday's saucy chicken challenge. Here's another one:
How do you make moist, soft, chickeny tasting roasted chicken? Can be whole or pieces.

(I'm obviously chickenly challenged).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:47 pm
If you want crispy skinned, soft chicken:

4 bone-in chicken pieces
paprika
garlic powder
salt

Arrange chicken in 9x13 pan. Season both sides VERY generously with paprika, garlic, and salt.
Bake, uncovered, at 375, for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

If you want really soft chicken:
• 4-6 bone-in chicken pieces
• 1 large onion or 2 small onions, sliced into rings
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp Kosher salt
• 2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp pepper
• 4 garlic cloves, hlaved

Place onion slices on the bottom of 9x13 pan.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and garlic cloves. Mix well.
Pour chicken into crockpot, on top of the onion.
Cover pan tightly and bake at 350, for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
(The onions taste delicious eaten with the chicken.)

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 21 2010, 1:47 pm
it depends on how moist/soft you want it. and how, pray tell, do you define chickeny?

many people will tell you to cover the chicken with foil for a large portion of the cooking time and uncover for another portion. this keeps the moisture in for the first part and lets the chicken dry a little bit towards the end so the chicken isn't too moist. I generally don't bother with that. imo, to keep a chicken moist, keep the skin on. the fats will keep it moist, and the flavor is, I suppose, chickeny. to keep the chicken a little more moist, I cover the skin in ingredients. no foil. here are a few ideas-

1) honey mustard chicken. I smother the skin in honey and mustard, mush together with a spoon, and bake. if you overbake it, the skin becomes crispy and has a nice honey mustard flavor while the inside stays incredibly moist. when I say smother, btw, I mean smother. don't be shy. put on lots.

2) onion garlic chicken. this is a little more work. I usually cut up some veggies for the bottom of the pan. tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, whatever. add some spices to the veggies. place chicken (whole or cut) on top of the veggies. rub with olive oil. mince lots of fresh onion and garlic and pile on top of the chicken. you want serious piles here. bake until the garlic gets crunchy. the topping should remind you of an everything bagel. the oil you added to the chicken should make the onions taste a bit fried.

btw, since you claim to be chicken impaired, here's how you know the chicken is done. poke it with a fork in a fat spot. if the juices run clear, it's done. if the juices are red, let it bake a while longer. once the juices run clear, don't leave it in the oven unless you like drier chicken.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey