Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Boarders

amother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 1:02 pm
We are considering taking in a boarder for the next school year. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons and approx how much I should be charging the parents for this.

amother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 1:10 pm
Guess it depends on where you live.. we have a bochur boarding with us and we charge about $850 a month (rooma and board) plus shlepping him around

amother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 1:14 pm
My parents had a boarder and I boarded. It really depends on a lot of things. Where you live is a big one. What kind of accomodations do you plan to provide (private bedroom? private bathroom? private entrance?)? Do you plan to cook and take care of meals for your boarder? Will you be driving your boarder around? Will you be responsible to know where your boarder is at all times? Will your boarder stay by you for Shabbos? These all make a difference.

I boarded in an out-of-town place, post-high school. I had my own car, my own bedroom, my own bathroom and a private entrance. I ate all my meals with them and had free access to the kitchen. I came & went as I wanted and Shabbos was spent with them. I used their washing machine & detergent, etc. and I was not expected to help out in the house (though I did). I only paid $300 a month (and that was moved up from the original $275 I paid when I first moved there).

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 1:28 pm
Anything discussed in your home in earshot of the boarder will very possibly be repeated to others. Who is responsible for collecting payment, the school or you? If it is you, would you keep the boarder if the parents were unable to continue to pay? What about property damage and allowing the boarder to let in friends? If he needs to see the doctor, are you expected to take off a day of work or would someone from the school take him?
I knew of people who experienced the downside of boarders from having private issues discussed with others to property damage and huge phone bills. Personally, I would not do it but I have seen people supplement their income that way and they felt that it was worth the imposition.

amother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 2:34 pm
How could you afford to charge only $300 a month if you are feeding another child all their meals plus shabbat

amother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 4:29 pm
Where I'm from, boarding for a month (for a kid who is young enough to need attention, maybe rides, all meals, etc.) is more in the range of $400.

My opinion: if it's just for the money, DON"T DO IT. If you want to share your home with another child for whatever reason, discuss everyone's expectations ahead of time so there are no disappointments. (For example: If the parents expect you to give the child jobs (I.e. setting table) just like your own children, or think he should be like a guest in a hotel.)

It definitely takes away from your privacy and sometimes your flexibility. (For example, you normally pick up the boarder from school together with your own children. Today your children are out of town attending a family Simcha... But you still have to pick up the boarder, cook supper, etc. just as if they are all there.)

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 4:44 pm
When I was a boarder (11 years ago), my parents paid $400/month.
I shared a room with their daughter, ate all my meals with the family, and they drove me around.

amother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 6:49 pm
Right.. sounds about right.. I think my folks paid about $500 for me 10 years ago.... Now my friend pays close to double that for a kid who is sharing a room with the daughter of the family. Kosher food is real expensive

shopaholic

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 6:59 pm
We thought about doing it now that we have the room but a) we like our privacy & b) we don't really have an extra room. We'd have to lose the playroom.

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 7:13 pm
That is another situation; food. People with borders cannot just have fried cheese sandwiches for dinner. People are paying for nutritious meals and ample snacks and don't want to see their child being skimped on. The other children in the house will want what the border has as far as packaged snacks so the entire food budget will really go up.

ohbaby!

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 7:52 pm
I BOARDED AT 4 DIFFERENT HOUSES. CUZ I DIDNT HAVE A FRUM SCHOOL IN MY CITY, SO I HAD TO LEARN IN A DIFFERENT CITY. YOU WILL ALL BE SURPRISED- NON OF THE HOUSES I BOARDED AT CHARGED A PENNY!! I STAYED FOR FREE!! ( IT WASNT IN THE USA!)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:05 pm
You have to make real meals and you can't eat out on Shabbosim.

Some of the rest is up to you - helping with homework, taking them to the dentist, etc.

Tovah

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 9:10 pm
when u have a boarder u have less privacy and have to becareful how u speak. u have to have lots of food and always make super u can't just wing it.it also depends on how big your house is. and it really helps to let her have her/his own room. I know a friend who boarded by a girl her same age and lots of competition. so watch out.
we have my sil staying by us now, it works out pretty ok since were close . but feel free to pm for questions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics