Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Walking on tip toes

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 5:52 am
does anyone have any suggestions. my daughter who is eleven months has started cruising she has being doing it for a while now and she walks on her tip toes. anyone know what I can do about this?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 6:48 am
Honestly, I'd just let it be -- she's going to outgrow it almost definitely in a few months. It might be easier for her to furniture walk and reach like that; she's still learning, as well...
With time she'll get more proficient at walking heel to toe, and it will be at her own pace. No need to fuss over it Smile

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:00 am
Try squeaky shoes. They have a squeaker in the heel of the shoe, which encourages proper walking. (The squeaker is also removable!)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:17 am
Not at this age -- cruising stages are best barefoot...best to wait for shoes till a month after walking.
My daughter's first pair of shoes were squeaky shoes, but I took out the squeaker to avoid any shalom bayis conflicts LOL

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:38 am
It means something, but I forget what - speak to your dr.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 7:45 am
It can mean something or it can just be a way of learning to walk. You should check with your physician to rule out anything significant, but most likely, it is just the way she is learning to walk.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 8:41 am
Tip Toe Walking

Walking on tip toes is a common postural variation which causes parental concern. One can essentially divide these children into four groups...

Habitual Tip Toe Walkers

This is by far the largest group - usually children between 2 and 5 years of age who have always walked on tip toe. They can commonly stand with their feet flat and may be able to walk on heels but walk on tip toes out of habit. The angle can be corrected above a right angle. These children have a normal birth and development history.

Neuromuscular Diseases

Cerebral palsy (spasticity) will cause children (and adults) to walk on tip toes. This is because their calf muscles and Achilles tendon contract because of abnormal nerve supply and consequent abnormal growth. There may be a history of a difficult birth or pregnancy. Reflexes are increased and walking may be delayed. Treatment involves physical therapy and sometimes surgery.

Muscular dystrophy

Walking on tip toes is occasionally the presenting sign in young boys with Duchenne's muscular dystrophy. There will usually be signs of muscle weakness and enlarged calves. A serum blood test for CPK (muscle enzyme) level is recommended.

Structural Tip toe Walkers

A very small number of children have a true contracture of their Achilles tendon without any other cause demonstrated. This is very rare and if marked, surgical lengthening of the tendon may be needed in the older child. In this group, the ankle can't be corrected to a right angle or beyond.

The vast majority of children who present with tip toe walking will be in the habitual group and the posture should resolve with time. Casting, exercises, special shoes and orthotics have not been demonstrated to make any difference to this group.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:11 am
Note the 2-5 year category.
Yes, if a child has been walking for a while and is walking on tip-toes still, consult a doctor.
But a child just starting to furniture walk?! They're just practicing for the real thing and getting used to it, and the vast majority of kids will outgrow it without making a whole issue out of it.

loveshoes

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:16 am
Also, if you have an exersaucer and now that she is more mobile, have her spend less time (or no time at all) in the exersaucer. Sometimes the way it is positioned, it can promote the child to push up on their toes. I actually did not own an exersaucer at all to prevent this and have the child explore and gain their motor skills naturally on the floor.

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 9:53 am
I did used to put her in one but I also put my other two and it was never a problem. I have definately noticed that she is quite short so she is constantly on her tip toes reaching for things that her sisters put out of her reach which doesnt help the situation. she is 11 months I just wondered what ppl thought about it. I leave her to go with just socks or barefoot.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:17 am
She might be getting a firmer grip when furniture walking by raising herself up on her tiptoes to hold onto more of the couch, table, etc...
I have short kids who furniture walk at a younger age (like 9 months or so) and I remember at least one of them using tip toes at the beginning...she is walking just fine now Tongue Out

drumjj

Post Tue, Jan 26 2010, 10:19 am
the way she can see is the way she tip toes because my couch is quite high so she def lifts herself up to look over and also the bath she does the same thing. I guess will wait a bit till she walks properly. she is standing alone a bit and stands on her feet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics