Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Son's weight fluctuating wildly....

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 3:58 pm
I just took my son to his 4 month checkup. Everything is fine except the doctor seemed very surprised by his height and weight, the reason being that at his last checkup, at about 2 months, he was in the 80 or 90th percentile weighing at 11.6 pounds, and now 2 months later he is back in the 40th percentile, which he was in when he was born, at 12.10 pounds. His height also went from a very high percentile to about 40. He seems to be thriving though, has dirty and wet diapers etc. I did have an oversupply of milk in the beginning, could it be that he gained a huge amount in the first 2 months and now he's just normal? Anyone experience anything similar to this?
TIA

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 4:00 pm
Forgot to mention, he was 7.5 at birth...

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 7:53 pm
Can someone please help? I'm worried. Sad

sky

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:18 pm
Is it possible they didn't weigh him correctly the first time (I.e. maybe you had your hand on his stomach?)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:26 pm
It's possible...But I don't think so.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 8:41 pm
My daughter was in the 25th percentil at her 6 month checkup (a little after 6 months to be honest). When I took her to the doctor last week for her 9 month checkup (alot late-to be honest) I was disappointed to see that she gained exactly 2 ounces from her last visit and she fell off the growth chart. The doctor assured me that as long as she is eating nicely, not howling in hunger, wet and dirty diapers are present, and she is not LOSING weight, she is ok. He did mention that she should start with dairy products (not straight milk). My kids always have growth spurts in the first few months and then slow down alot. All my kids fell off the growth chart between 6 and 12 months (and there they stay...they are VERY petite)

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:32 pm
why don't you get him weighed more often, you can even rent a baby scale for a few months. keep track and see how much it changes. as long as he seems healthy and happy in general you shouldnt be worried. the dr did check him over after all. after a couple weeks you could start him on solids if he seems to be ready for it, that could make him gain weight. BUT check with your dr, etc. and if there is allergies in eitheir side of the family you should wait til 6+ months. especially if he seems content with what hes got now Smile

I hope everything works out for you.

qeenB

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:55 pm
it is very normal for breastfead babies to start slowing down at about six months. then they start gaining much much slower. however it might be normal for your baby and as long as he is not loosing weight and seems happy I probably wouldnt worry about it.

qeenB

Post Wed, Jan 27 2010, 10:58 pm
I just wanted to add one more thing, his weight is not fluctuating. fluctuating would mean that he was 12 lbs and now is 10 lbs went back to 14 lbs back to 12 lbs. he is just not gaining as quickly as he did when he was 2 months old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics