Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
MY BABY WON'T TAKE A BOTTLE!!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 9:02 am
I have been exclusively breastfeeding up until now ( my baby is six months old) and once in a while, usually at least 1-2 times a week have given him a bottle of pumped milk. I havnt given him a bottle in about two to three weeks and suddenly he refuses to take it!! I really dont know what to do as I have a wedding soon and I will need to leave him with a babysitter, bringing him along is not an option. Does anyone have any ideas for me???

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 9:08 am
Did he just refuse once, or have you tried multiple bottles that he has refused?

If once, it may have been a fluke.

Why did you give him a bottle? Do you need to leave him with other people?

If he is 6 months you could try switching to a sippy if you dont want to bother with bottles anymore.

If you want to keep trying the bottle, then (Im no expert!!) each time he wants to nurse, offer the bottle first, until you get him to take it. Then try again the next day until you see that he accepts right away. Then go back to your normal routine.

When offering it at first, if he refuses, dont push it, just nurse and wait for the next time. When he does take it, just pump to keep up your supply.

Also, make sure you only put a little in the bottle so that if he doesnt take it, you dont waste (not sure if you would put it back in the fridge, or just toss. Different people do different things). If he finishes the small amount, you can still nurse him, since the bottle at these points is more for retraining and not for actual nutrition.

Good luck!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 9:21 am
I wish it was so simple!! I have tried a few times, when he was hungry and when he wasnt, and all he does is chew the nipple, when hes really hungry he gets hysterical. I have been trying for two days now, offering him the bottle whenever hes due for a feeding, without any success. And btw giving a bottle doesnt decrease my milk supply theres no need for me to pump afterwards.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 9:23 am
hmm, try putting some of the milk on the outside of the nipple. Or maybe give him a medicine dropper or 2 with milk to start him off and then pop the bottle in.

Or, if either you have someone who can help you or if you have 8 hands (j/k) put the bottle in, then squeeze the medicine dropper in next to the bottle and squirt a little in his mouth. Maybe it will get him to think it came from the bottle.

Good luck.-

exhausted

Post Thu, Jan 28 2010, 9:48 am
I always found that my babies took bottles much better from my husband than from me. Also, if possible go out while your husband is trying so you're not tempted to give in and nurse the baby when he gets all upset.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics