Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
I had to throw it all out :(

sky

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 11:00 am
I got up early this morning to make challah and was so impressed with how organized I was last night. I put together all the ingredients and left on the counter - and the eggs I cracked, checked and put in the fridge.
Right when the challah was about to go in the oven I realized I had not added salt to my cracked eggs.
I just got off the phone with my rav and it all has to be thrown out (I made the kids gorgeous mini braided challahs this week). He said its not assur, but strongly not recommended. He didn't end with a But... you can eat them.
Arg.
Have a good shabbos.

workingmom3

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 11:05 am
why do you have to throw it out? Ive never heard of not eating eggs left open over night. Onions and garlic yes but not egss. Didnt even know about this?!

yummydd

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 11:05 am
Oish! That sucks, but you for sure get the mitzvah for doing it and the mitzvah of bystanding your nisoyon.
Not something you wanna hear now right? What

myfriends715

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 2:40 pm
?????????? I never knew u have to add salt to eggs. s/o enlighten me

solo

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 3:00 pm
its not specifically about salting eggs, its that plain peeled eggs are not supposed to be left covered overnight.
covering with a plastic or foil doesnt count.
to avoid this some people salt the eggs, or put a bit of oil.
I avoid the problem by leaving raw and cooked eggs in thier shell till used.

this is not a halacha. and im not sure what the source. but it is something to be taken seriously.
sounds confusing. I know. im not entirely sure bout this myself. just know it t be true.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 3:26 pm
sounds like a total waste - so many people could have used that challah instead of throwing it out ... it is not a halacha ...

I don't even see why one would crack eggs and half make things - just as easy to make it from start to finish - crack the egg - put it in the dough ... What

Ronit

Post Fri, Jan 29 2010, 3:50 pm
What a pity.

I never crack eggs in advance- it takes a second & doesn't even make a mess.

I can't believe you had to throw out the challahs after they where already made because of that. Where you very clear with the Rav? Are you klauzenberg? (I know they are very makpid with this- but throw it out???)

I still think it's bal taschis to throw it out even if the rav says that no one jewish can eat. You can always give it to a non jewish neighbor or cleaning lady. Who wouldn't take freshly baked challah?

sky

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 8:33 pm
It does make my life easier to crack it first. All I had to do was empty the bowl of eggs into the pan with the rest of the ingredients and stick in the bread machine in the morning.

I didn't end up baking them because I didn't want to have to wash the pans out. I just threw out the dough.

I'm not klauzenberg. Just regular litvish, yekkish, yeshivish. My rav knows me well - I was very clear with him - oh well. I ended up putting up another batch (the joy of working from home) and it came out very good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads