Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Beef stew in crock pot HELP!!!

challi

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 2:30 pm
I want to put up stew in the morning and then turn it on and have it ready to be eaten at 3:30 about. I need

1) a recipe
2) what settings etc to put it on

I haven't had such great luck with crock pots it wither comes out raw or over cooked.

I need help. embarrassed

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:01 pm
I recall putting into the crockpot some beef stew, oil, onions, potatoes, carrots, turnip, bay leaf, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and water and letting it simmer on med- high all day till done. I can't remember amounts. it tasted as if I'd cooked it in a pot.

maybe some people fry/brown the meat before putting it into to crockpot, probably a better flavor but I never had the time to do that.

Bella:D

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:24 pm
I found a recipe for this on the internet a couple of weeks ago and made it. I made a few changes because the original recipe had bacon and stuff, it came out very good!

INGREDIENTS

1 lbs. beef, cubed
1 cup red wine
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Chopped shallots (optional)
1 cup onion soup mix with water
Salt & pepper
Flour

DIRECTIONS
Dredge beef cubes in flour, brown in oil. Transfer meat from skillet to crock pot. Saute vegetable and garlic in oil; remove. Drain fat from pan. Gently combine beef, vegetables, wine and soup. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low 8 – 10 hours. If you need it to be ready faster you can cook it on medium or high. What I did was when I came home, I added a few potatoes cut into chunks and let it cook for another hour.

mosma

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:51 pm
easiest and best beef stew ever. it's very versatile:
beef stew meat and onions in the bottom of the crockpot. some salt and pepper. let it brown. add some flour (I don't measure anything. 1/4 c maybe?) and mix it up till everything's coated.
add about 4 cups of beef broth (I do 2 beef bouillon cubes and hot water) and a can of hunts tomato sauce or some crushed tomatoes. add a can of dark beer. throw in salt, 2 bay leaves, some rosemary and thyme. then add whatever veggies you like. I add carrots potatoes and fresh mushrooms.
then just leave it in the crockpot all day until you're ready to eat. serve over rice.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 3:54 pm
Barbeque Meat Stew
2 lbs. meat, cut into cubes
5 carrots (3/4 lb.), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into chunks
6 small red potatoes (2-1/2 lb.), quartered
3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen peas (or use 2/3 of a 1 lb. bag)

Layer carrots, onions and potatoes in bottom of 5-qt. slow cooker; top with meat.
Pour 1/2 cup barbecue sauce over meat. Cover with lid.
Cook on LOW for 8 hours (or on HIGH 5 hours).

Stir in peas and remaining barbecue sauce; cook, covered, 15 minutes or until heated through.

(Original recipe calls for 1 Tbsp coffee granules, but I only made this stew with coffee one time. The coffee gives it a really barbequed taste, but we leave it out now.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Feb 04 2010, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

mosma

Post Sun, Jan 31 2010, 4:20 pm
mosma wrote:
easiest and best beef stew ever. it's very versatile:
beef stew meat and onions in the bottom of the crockpot. some salt and pepper. let it brown. add some flour (I don't measure anything. 1/4 c maybe?) and mix it up till everything's coated.
add about 4 cups of beef broth (I do 2 beef bouillon cubes and hot water) and a can of hunts tomato sauce or some crushed tomatoes. add a can of dark beer. throw in salt, 2 bay leaves, some rosemary and thyme. then add whatever veggies you like. I add carrots potatoes and fresh mushrooms.
then just leave it in the crockpot all day until you're ready to eat. serve over rice.

forgot to add: put it on high for a while, lower to low/keep warm when the water starts to reduce (5 hours or so?). if you don't have time to brown the meat, or you leave it on high all day, it doesn't really matter. it's a forgiving recipe. also I do the entire thing in a crockpot bag=no cleanup!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 01 2010, 10:25 am
Put meat, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, (all chunked) and whatever other veggies you have around in crockpot (e.g. zucchini works well -- whatever suits your fancy).
Season with black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and a bay leaf.
2 cups tomato sauce and 2 cups of water if you want a tomato based stew.
Chicken broth also works well for flavoring (if I do that, I frequently add in mushrooms as I like the way the flavors complement each other).
Put it up between 7 and 8 on low, and it should be ready by 3:30.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics