Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Yichud with an OB/GYN
1  2  Next

klotzkashe

Post Sat, Jan 29 2005, 7:52 pm
Very interesting and I'm sure not many of you have heard of this one:

On Shab DH read in Taharah Kehalochoh (by R' Farkash...seen as the most authoritative in TM issues with Lubo's) that there's an issue of Yichud with your OB/GYN if he's a male (jewish OR not jewish) when you go in for appointments.

DH had never heard of this and asked a Rov in shule and he said...yes it's the case and he goes w/ his wife to all appointments. THis is not the case in hospital though, as nurses can enter the room whenever.

DH asked the Rov re: internals -what does the husband do if the Dr needs to make one...ROV: turn around.

I'm going to get DH to ask the Rov about internals if the wife's a niddah, should he accompany her then?

Personally I know how important Yichud (or the avoidance of it) is - however looking to my 6 week pp appointment im not sure I want DH there!

curlyhead

Post Sat, Jan 29 2005, 9:42 pm
That's why I use a woman. I also feel more comfy.

Sunshine

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 3:42 pm
Most male Dr's now a days(at least in the USA) make sure there is a female nurse in the room with them at all times. There have been many cases of Dr's getting sued for doing inappropriate things and some are false! This ruins them financially and ppl don't want to use a Dr who has stories about them as such. So the Dr's in order to protect themself have a female in the room accompanying them. Make sure this is the case with your Dr. and you may not have a problem.

micki

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 4:38 pm
I know when I went to the emergency room the doc. neede tot look at the burn on my hip. I would have just had to pull my skirt down a little but he called a nurse to come in and my husband was even in the room!

and there is no shaila of yichud in a place where people are coming in and out all the time. or at least the possibility that they can. in the doc office the nurses are alwways coming in.

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 6:21 pm
In Australia it's alittle different - we don't have the weekly/monthly internals during pregnancy that you have in the States. Also, our doctors tend to have surgeries that don't have nurses - usually there's only a secretary there and maybe other doctors. Dr's visits in aussie are just like a friendly convo. except they just measure your tummy, listen to the baby's heartbeat with a doppler and take your blood pressure.

I was actually quite surprised when my neighbours mother from CH was telling me how women in the US have internals on a WEEKLY basis during their pregnancy. My doctor didn't see below my stomach until I was in the delivery room! How different the treatment in Aus is to over there!!!

So here, while you're in an appointment with your doctor, it's just youa dn him and basically most of the time you're sitting opp. him at his desk - so the issue of yichud would apply. the rov told DH last night that if you leave the door ajar that would be a heter to allow both doc and woman alone.

He also pointed out that if it is a JEwish male doc it is more problematic than your token-[gentile] doctor.

Even though I hear all this - come on...who wants their hubby there for appts that aren't pregnancy related?!

micki

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 9:20 pm
hey there- agree with all you said EXCEPT in 5 pregnancies B"H I have NEVER been check internally except for when I was in labor!!!!!! the only time is for a pap smear!!! they do not even do an internal in the beginning of the pregnancy. (unless it happens to coincide)

so far this one never been checked and don't plan to until I am in labor!
(and I've lived in the US all my life)

Yael

Post Sun, Jan 30 2005, 9:33 pm
you can simply say you dont want to be checked and they dont. thats what I did. if I wanted to know at the end of the pregnancy whether I had started to dilate or not I would let her check otherwise never.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 12:12 pm
I never got checked internally until after 36 weeks and thats cause they actually were trying to get me to go into labor.

I called my LOR yesterday cause I had an appointment with a hand doc. I wanted to know what to do in case of yichud issues. My Rabbi was a bit surprised by this and called our Rav. The rav said it wasn't an issue cause a)its a public place and b)its a doc. He said he doesn't go in with his wife to her appointments. What would you do? Everyone go to every ped appointment, ob appointment, internist appointment, etc... he also mentioned there are issues with the husband being in for internals and even more so if she is in nidda. He does not recommend coming in.

sara

AGINY

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:17 pm
My OB is never alone in the room with me. Even if it isn't an internal exam he always has his nurse in the room at all times, I think to avoid being sued etc. For those of you who never have an internal when pregnant, how does your OB check the heartbeat is healthy before 12 weeks when you can hear it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:21 pm
dvora wrote:
For those of you who never have an internal when pregnant, how does your OB check the heartbeat is healthy before 12 weeks when you can hear it?
I hate to say this, but what good would it do?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:25 pm
obgyns have nurses with them? never seen it... and I have seen many obgyns lol

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:26 pm
It would be "good" to know if a pregnancy wasn't progressing rather than walking around with with a dead fetus and high hopes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:27 pm
Ruchel wrote:

In America, you bet they do.

drumjj

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:31 pm
how can u find out via internal if the pregnancy is progressing in england u never have internals unless they are checking to see if u are dialating

chavamom

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:31 pm
klotzkashe wrote:

I was actually quite surprised when my neighbours mother from CH was telling me how women in the US have internals on a WEEKLY basis during their pregnancy. My doctor didn't see below my stomach until I was in the delivery room! How different the treatment in Aus is to over there

Weekly exams are not the norm, except some do them as they get near the due date. And some don't do them at all.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 1:44 pm
weekly exams? horror! I had bi weekly monitoring the two last weeks because of contractions, and it was soooo annoying.

cindy324

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 2:02 pm
Quote:

In America, you bet they do.

Yep. The good ol' US of A is also the land of lawsuit happy people. I think they do it to prevent anyone thinking about fabricating any malpractice stories. I just had my yearly check up, and the nurse automatically walks in with the doc.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 2:16 pm
actually with my second I had a problem and had to g to ehospital in zefas. had 3 u/s done before 12 weeks. dr can see the heartbeat on the u/s

by us it's usually packed except today some wierd thing happened and the nurse does come in and out.... she's around....

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 2:45 pm
I am a little shocked at the question of what relevance knowledge of a healthy heartbeat is. Isn't it utmonst important to know the pregnancy is viable and healthy? My friend walked around with a non living featus in her body for 6 weeks and had horror stories with dead cells growing. After her D&C she had to go for a few chemo treatments. It was a completely avoidable and truamatic expereince for her and for everyone who cares about her. In my opinion, in medicine knowledge is power. True there are situations beyond our control no matter how much we know (Hashem does rule the world). I am not talking about doing amnios to find out about genetic mutations chas vesholom. I am talking simple viability of a pregnancy.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 2:50 pm
how can dead cells grow?

anyway I agree with you
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics