Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Database Programs

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Feb 02 2010, 10:47 pm
Are there any out there that can keep track of the basics for a business - like keeping track of customer info and their orders and stuff that I could buy? Would it be better to hire a pro to set up something like this?

e1234

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 1:11 am
it all depends on how custom you need it.
I am a database programmer so I get this question a lot.
If it's not very extensive you might be able to do something simple in excel or access (again I don't know your comptuer usage level) or google apps has some applications that might work.

kalsee

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 2:05 am
check out Microsoft Access.
It's a great program, and especially in the 2007 version has ready templates for many areas.
Businesses included.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 2:44 am
I second (or third) MS access its very intuative and easy to use.
Pm me if you need any help.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:21 pm
Thanks. Do computers come with Access (scuse the question LOL - the internet is more my forte)? I basically need it to keep track of customers, weed out doubles, and be able to keep track of orders.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:01 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
Thanks. Do computers come with Access (scuse the question LOL - the internet is more my forte)? I basically need it to keep track of customers, weed out doubles, and be able to keep track of orders.

No, it is a Microsoft product which an either be purchased on its own or as part of Microsoft Office (only the more expensive version -- I think professional include it).

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 3:45 pm
It sounds like you really need two separate programs: (1) a contact management program that will keep track of customer information, sales leads, conversations, etc.; and (2) an accounting/sales program that will keep track of orders, receivables, payables, and allow you to run the financial reports you need.

For a small business, I would recommend QuickBooks (with appropriate modules for your specific business) and a contact management program such as V-Tiger. QuickBooks is relatively inexpensive, and V-Tiger is freeware.

I have to dissent with the majority about MS Access. I think it's utterly useless for anything other than possibly planning a bar mitzvah, and I'm not sure about that!

Here's my reasoning: First, unless you happen to be an experienced database programmer or administrator, you will end up spending huge chunks of time learning, creating, and re-creating something that is probably available in a commercial or freeware form at a relatively low cost. Designing a database is not necessarily simply or obvious, and there are a lot of pitfalls that do-it-yourself databases fall into.

Second, let's say you really do need something highly unique and customized. In that case, you are almost certainly not going to be able to cobble something together using Access.

Here's my advice:

1. Make a list of the specific tasks you need to accomplish and how you want your software to help you. For example: Create customer invoices and print invoices without using pre-printed forms.

2. Do web searches to find out the capabilities of existing software packages.

3. Find out if existing software packages that seem appropriate can be customized by a third-party.

An existing product that can be customized will almost always be a better deal than having something built from scratch by you or the local computer maven.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 6:11 pm
Fox wrote:
It sounds like you really need two separate programs: (1) a contact management program that will keep track of customer information, sales leads, conversations, etc.; and (2) an accounting/sales program that will keep track of orders, receivables, payables, and allow you to run the financial reports you need.

For a small business, I would recommend QuickBooks (with appropriate modules for your specific business) and a contact management program such as V-Tiger. QuickBooks is relatively inexpensive, and V-Tiger is freeware.

I have to dissent with the majority about MS Access. I think it's utterly useless for anything other than possibly planning a bar mitzvah, and I'm not sure about that!

Here's my reasoning: First, unless you happen to be an experienced database programmer or administrator, you will end up spending huge chunks of time learning, creating, and re-creating something that is probably available in a commercial or freeware form at a relatively low cost. Designing a database is not necessarily simply or obvious, and there are a lot of pitfalls that do-it-yourself databases fall into.

Second, let's say you really do need something highly unique and customized. In that case, you are almost certainly not going to be able to cobble something together using Access.

Here's my advice:

1. Make a list of the specific tasks you need to accomplish and how you want your software to help you. For example: Create customer invoices and print invoices without using pre-printed forms.

2. Do web searches to find out the capabilities of existing software packages.

3. Find out if existing software packages that seem appropriate can be customized by a third-party.

An existing product that can be customized will almost always be a better deal than having something built from scratch by you or the local computer maven.

Sounds good - can I hire you LOL???? Actually, it's for my boss, she's trying to figure out what would work for her, but she's not very computer savvy

newToNeighborhood

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 10:03 am
Firstly, MS Access is not useless- if you know how to use it. I've set up many databases for friend's businesses, and taught them how to use it. It's hard to set up correclty, but maybe you can find a template and use that? The templates are set up pretty well... here's one as an example:
http://office.microsoft.com/en.....31033
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics