Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Mishpacha mag article abt ppl who struggle w/ reading hebrew

amother

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 4:12 pm
this article was in mishpacha a few months ago and I am desperately trying to find it. there were some great resources and some suggestions in there - basically it was about kids (and adults too) with dyslexia or who just fell between the cracks who have a very difficult time reading hebrew and struggle with davening etc as they grow up being unable to read the words.
can anyone help me locate it?? anyone who is computer savvy or who saves old mishpachas? I think it was in "family first" not "regular" mishpacha, but not 100% sure.
Thanx in advance.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 7:12 am
bump??? please? I really dont know who else to ask

Yocheved84

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 8:01 am
LINK:
http://www.mishpacha.com/

FOR BACK ISSUES:
http://www.mishpacha.com/backissues/1/

Maybe call them and explain the contents of the article and they can tell you which issue it ran in?

shirafruma

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:07 am
The man's name is Rabbi Horowitz..He created a special way to teach people how to read hebrew..he also (if I remember correctly) speaks about how nebach some people go off the derech bc they get frustrated that they cannot read or translate lshon hakodesh.

Google him and check out his website..my 5 year old was having problems in kriyah and I was just looking at the website..its a great resource tool...I used some of his tricks with my son and got great results.

shirafruma

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:08 am
The man's name is Rabbi Horowitz..He created a special way to teach people how to read hebrew..he also (if I remember correctly) speaks about how nebach some people go off the derech bc they get frustrated that they cannot read or translate lshon hakodesh.

Google him and check out his website..my 5 year old was having problems in kriyah and I was just looking at the website..its a great resource tool...I used some of his tricks with my son and got great results.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2010, 11:29 am
shirafruma wrote:

I cant find the website. thank you SO much for your post. do you know his first name? maybe that wil help me find it on google?
this was what I was talking about. so glad s/o else remembered it. I would really like to see his website and actually talk to him.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 10:23 am
shirafruma wrote:

hey shout out to shifrafruma
are you still reading this thread?
can you tell me what this rabbis first name is? searching for rabbi horowitz is kinda like searching for rabbi cohen on google. lol. thanks!

chavamom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 10:43 am
I'm going to guess she means Rabbi Ya'akov Horowitz. This is his website: http://www.rabbihorowitz.com/

I think most of the links you might be looking for can be found here

amother

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 2:12 pm
chavamom wrote:
I'm going to guess she means Rabbi Ya'akov Horowitz. This is his website: http://www.rabbihorowitz.com/

I think most of the links you might be looking for can be found here

thanks for the links chavamom
this was not the article I was talking about, those are each like page long essays this rabbi wrote, the article I was referring to was long, like 4 magazine pages long. could have been written by this man because he sounds very knowledeable, but I really want to find the article.
his chinuch resources seem awesome (on this website) but it seems it is all very geared toward kids and like teens. and unfortunately, the person I am looking for this information for is an adult Crying with a large family. and I seem to remember the article I read mentioned people to contact, reading therapists or people like that, who work with adults as well. it is not a kiruv issue. this person is frum and fits right in, but unfortunately just fell behind in school, can speak perfect hebrew and yiddish, but can barely read or sound the words out, and it is so sad, and I am doing what I was asked to help.
so like to give an idea- davening is no problem at all, since that is all stuff everyone has memorized since they were a little kid. conversing is not a problem. but being at a shiur, is, because this person CANNOT READ THE WORDS.
it is not a problem in english, only hebrew.
thanks to anyone who can offer me any resources or help

shirafruma

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 3:35 pm
Hey I am SOO SOOO SOO sorry I wasnt paying attention!!!

Google him and see what comes back..you should be able to get a sample of some his worksheets and techniques. I have them saved on my computer, so if you want PM me w. your email and I can email them over to you...

shirafruma

Post Wed, Feb 10 2010, 3:38 pm
Amother,

He actually has a whole program geared towards adults who have kriyah issues.
I recently moved and don't have the article anymore, but you could call Mishpacha and ask them to send you a copy.

Also, if you are located in Israel, my husband had very horrible kryiah problems and couldn't read until he was around 14. He learned from a program in Meah Shearim...A lot of older teens and adults go to this program apparently.

brocha1

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 10:46 am
Hi does anyone no of a place in Yerushlyim which help teenage girls with reading only want a woman teacher thanks in advance

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 20 2015, 1:36 pm
brocha1 wrote:
Hi does anyone no of a place in Yerushlyim which help teenage girls with reading only want a woman teacher thanks in advance

Hatzlacha! You might want to consider a new thread, in one of the Israel forums.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics