Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pringles
1  2  3  Next

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 1:57 pm
I don't eat Pringles but bought them today (for two different reasons). I noticed that besides the usual OU hechsher, it also has a Rabbanut Israeli hechsher, and next to it, says: Kasher Chalavi L'Ochlei Avakat Chalav Nachri. Meaning, there's some kind of Chalav Akum in it! I don't know why it's only a regular OU on it, but thank goodness nobody here had any (except me Confused).

If anyone wants to volunteer to call the OU and ask them about this... in the meantime, I'm TIO on the instruction of my Kashrus Rav. Smile

Last edited by gryp on Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:02 pm
It's probably de flavors which are dairy (natural is NOT). There are some dairy flavors.... which are OU-D and chalav STAM.

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:04 pm
aren't there a few different flavours? did you notice this written on only one type, or was it on all of them?

Temilia

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:04 pm
I checked this out on the OU website, and they have a notice about this very issue, and they state that these products are indeed Kosher-Pareve, and the hebrew label is incorrect.
To read the original-Ou-notification pringles

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:05 pm
I should have clarified, this is the regular chips. Do you think they use the same label on all of them? The regular chips have never had the OU-D on them, as far as I know. Plus, there is no milk power in the ingredients.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:06 pm
Oh, thank you, Temilia. That makes me feel a lot better!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 2:50 pm
we don't use any potato or potato flake products that aren't bishul yisroel. Which is why we have never had Pringles in this house. however I think there are some with a "heimishe" hechsher on a sticker, which I assume is a special run. Still don't buy those.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 3:13 pm
I was told Pringles are made differently than all the other chips, so we eat Pringles but none of the others.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:10 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
we don't use any potato or potato flake products that aren't bishul yisroel. Which is why we have never had Pringles in this house. however I think there are some with a "heimishe" hechsher on a sticker, which I assume is a special run. Still don't buy those.

Why davka potatoes? (Do I really want to know?)

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:18 pm
I was taught that potatoes are inherently a "chashuva" food, so even if they are made into a food that isn't fit for a king's table, they still need to be bishul yisroel.

sped

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:25 pm
I think it is a "chabad" thing.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 11:52 pm
if kashrus is a chabad thing, then yes. Rolling Eyes

Tova

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 12:50 am
Presumably this goes to different opinions in how the halachos of oleh al shulchan melachim (fit to be served at a royal banquet) are applied. When looking at the finished product, potato chips, they would seem to be exempt, but some opinions hold that you should go and look at the originating food. And since potatos are "royal foods," the laws of bishul akum would apply. We personally go by the opinion which looks at the finished product.

joy613

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 3:14 am
Tova wrote:
Presumably this goes to different opinions in how the halachos of oleh al shulchan melachim (fit to be served at a royal banquet) are applied. When looking at the finished product, potato chips, they would seem to be exempt, but some opinions hold that you should go and look at the originating food. And since potatos are "royal foods," the laws of bishul akum would apply. We personally go by the opinion which looks at the finished product.

I would have thought that potatoes are not oleh al shulchan melachim. Arent they known as a poor man's food?

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 6:54 am
TzenaRena wrote:
if kashrus is a chabad thing, then yes. Rolling Eyes
Considering potatoes in any shape or form as "oleh al shulchan melachim" seems to be a chabad thing. It is possible to keep kosher without considering potatoes in this way, believe it or not.

Raizle

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 6:57 am
There are different opinions in Chabad on this topic as well so I wouldn't call it a "Chabad" thing
Many Lubavitchers DO eat chips and don't hold that it is oleh al shulchan melech

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:20 am
pringles actually have potatoes in them LOL
if so maybe its the 5th ingredient.
as a lub I DO eat plain pringles potatoe chips per lubavitch rabbonim.tzena rena,u should probably edit your post to say your LOR. Wink

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:36 am
Raizle wrote:
There are different opinions in Chabad on this topic as well so I wouldn't call it a "Chabad" thing
Many Lubavitchers DO eat chips and don't hold that it is oleh al shulchan melech
Potatoes have to be bishul Yisroel according to the standard of CHK, our vaad hakashrus.

But definitely according to authorities who are NOT Chabad this is so as well, and it's not a strictly "chabad thing" at all. Witness all the kosher potato products stating bishul yisroel clearly on the wrapper, including chips, and especially potato starch products sold around Pesach time. You will see that this is a concern for the general frum oilam, at least those who are careful with bishul and pas yisroel.

I think the only difference in opinion is when something is partially cooked, or blanched because even the french fries with the "heimishe hechsherim" being precooked in some form could be a problem according to this. Because of this we are careful to only buy fries that are made from fresh potatoes at eat-out/take out places. I know this is the standard for our Vaad.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 9:13 am
I grew up OOT, not keeping bishul yisroel. Most people (Lubavitchers) I know OOT with few exceptions (I can think of ONE family), don't keep bishul yisroel.
When I got married, I cut out all potato chips, not including Pringles or corn chips. We use non-heimishe brand cereals too (athough I always buy Kemach anyway). Don't ask me why, it doesn't make much sense to me, but that's what we do.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 9:19 am
Pringles ingredients:
Quote:
DRIED POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: CORN OIL, COTTONSEED OIL, AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL), WHEAT STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, RICE FLOUR AND DEXTROSE.

I can't even remember the last time I bought Pringles but my son needed the container. Rolling Eyes And I figured I'd take the chips and half-dip them in chocolate for my kids to trade their Shalach Manos junk in. The entire container came with only broken chips anyway, so there goes that idea.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen