Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"stainless look" appliances
1  2  Next

ilovestrollers

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 7:26 pm
Hi,

Anyone have the "stainless look" appliances? I mean the ones that are not real stainless steel but look like it - I guess its like a gray color. These don't have such a problem of getting dirty or fingerprinted like the real stainless do. Are you happy with them? I love the look of stainless but do not like the fingerprints that seem to come along with it.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 7:35 pm
Yes.

No.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 7:42 pm
I used to have a stainless look refrigerator. I liked it. It didn't really look like stainless; it was, as you write, just a grey color.

I did appreciate the fact that it did not show fingerprints like the real stainless appliances I also had in that kitchen. The real stainless appliances needed to be washed and "polished" daily in order to avoid looking very dirty and messy. I didn't use any polishing products on them, but I did wash them and dry them just so to avoid the fingerprints and streaks that would usually show after regular wiping.

When I was shopping for the fridge I noticed that there are many real stainless appliances out there that claim to have "fingerprint free" or "fingerprint resistant" finishes. I have no idea if they live up to their claims, since I did end up buying the stainless look fridge, but it is an idea.

Another good thing about the stainless look appliances is that since the finish is more flat, less reflective, than real stainless if it gets a ding, it won't show as much.

ilovestrollers

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 7:45 pm
CM: care to elaborate? Smile. Why don't you like them??

heffer569

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 7:56 pm
I have the stainless appliances that dont et fingerprints. They do get fingerprints but just not as much as regular stainless. Im happy with them and would buy again.

ilovestrollers

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 7:58 pm
Heffer,

do you mind telling me which brand of appliances you have? From my research some brands have stainless look that are better than others.

Thank you.

heffer569

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 8:00 pm
My dishwasher is Bosch. The rest of my appliance are GE Profile.

heffer569

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 8:02 pm
But mine arent the stainless look they are stainless with a no fingerprint glaze or something over it. I happen to be replacing my ovens and I think Im getting viking double oven. That is stainless not the no fingerprint stainless either so I will see if its more of a difference when I have somethin to compare to.

ilovestrollers

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 8:04 pm
Right, I see GE Profile is real stainless. I guess I'll take my kids to the store and let them go to town with their hands. Smile

Tova

Post Sun, Feb 14 2010, 10:01 pm
Good idea!

(Hi!)

Also check out Fridgidaire. I got a (real) stainless Fridgidaire range and over-the-range microwave, and the matching fridge was actually stainless look. It was perhaps a bit duller than real stainless, but to my untrained eye I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The Lowe's salesperson said besides from no (less?) fingerprints, the stainless look is also magnetic (if important to you to hang stuff on fridge) while regular stainless steel is not magnetic. I can't give you real-life experience because I didn't end up getting a new fridge. My old one worked just fine - it's plain white and I don't care that it doesn't match.

BTW - my range and microwave have absolutely NO fingerprints on the stainless part (and on both appliances the handle part is stainless) even before cleaning. You know where the fingerprints and streaks are? Anywhere where it is black instead of stainless - like on my model under the burners, etc.

I discuss this w/ your SIL LOL all the time!

lizard8

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 6:45 am
I have a stainless look refrigerator. I love it because it doesn't get finger printy, and I can clean it with anything

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:01 am
Thanks all.

I was going to just get black or white but now I'm thinking of getting cream cabinets(that's a whole other topic) and I think that stainless will look the best. Tova, I know black can be even more fingerprinty than stainless, but it is easier to wash of prints on black - at least thats what I've heard. I'm only familiar with white.

curlytop

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:14 am
I purchased all black appliances because of the fingerprint issue, my mother has one dishwasher that is stainless and it always looks filthy, and she doesn't have little kids around. I am very happy with the black, I think it adds a lot to the kitchen, and the fact that they were cheaper than the stainless didn't hurt either LOL

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:16 am
I totally agree with you curly. Real stainless is not an option for me b/c I have seen horrible looking dishwashers and fridges that are stainless. The stoves don't get so bad, probably b/c of the big glass window. I actually like black, and I think that's what I will end up with, I just wanted to know what people thought about the stainless look. It is more expensive, and I also am having a hard time justifying the cost. But I'm not sure that I will like the contrast of black appliances in the kitchen.

curlytop

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:18 am
If you want I could send you pics of my kitchen.. I did a lightish sorta cabinet and I think the black added a lot..

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:20 am
Ok thanks. I'm PMing you.

qtpie

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:37 am
As my mother in law would say..."never get stainless..." --bec. of fingerprints...

But they do look nicest ...don't know what to tell ya!

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 8:40 am
ha ha Smile

Well I actually agree with your MIL, however, the stainless look does not streak. I saw them in lowes for a minute a few weeks ago, and its like a gray appliance basically. Not white or black.

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 11:06 am
ilovestrollers wrote:
It is more expensive, and I also am having a hard time justifying the cost.

Really? When I bought my fridge, the stainless look was cheaper than the real stainless ones. It could just be because the particular appliance I bought was a good deal that I have that impression, though.

ilovestrollers

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 11:11 am
Yeah it is cheaper than real stainless but a drop more than black and white. The other problem is that not all appliances come in that finish. The dishwasher I had picked out originally only comes in black white or real stainless, so I would have to pick different ones. I don't really like the dishwasher options in the stainless look. I guess I could get real stainless dishwashers and everything else faux, but I'm not sure yet.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen