Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Nook or Kindle
1  2  Next

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 2:29 pm
Which should I get, the Nook or Kindle?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-W.....07846

or

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

TIA

GoodEnough

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 3:34 pm
have a look at this thread http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....99515

and this one http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....55081

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 3:35 pm
thanks mum Wink

mltjm

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 9:13 pm
I just read an article about that...I think in popular mechanics???? Check their website.

Dini

Post Tue, Feb 16 2010, 10:40 pm
thanks, that does help!

Dini

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 8:34 am
I still can't decide...I am leaning toward the nook because it's made by barnes & nobles which is a book seller which should have more titles I think and which might persevere in the end where kindle might not. maybe both won't make it?!

bubby

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:10 pm
I played with a Nook...it was amazing. It's next on my shopping list, even before getting my diamond re-set (which I REALLY want.)

Dini

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 1:45 pm
bubby wrote:
I played with a Nook...it was amazing. It's next on my shopping list, even before getting my diamond re-set (which I REALLY want.)

bubby, thanks so much for responding! would you go for the Nook wi-fi that is only $149 or the one that has 3G plus wi-fi for $189. I think the $149 is enough but I don't want to seem cheap since it is a gift for dh and it really isn't so much more....

bubby

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:22 pm
$189 seems a good price, I saw it recently for $200. I wonder if you can buy it for even less. I don't know the diff between 3G + wi-fi & wi-fi alone. I suppose it depends on your budget & when/where your DH would be using it. Tell me how he likes it!! It's the perfect gift for readers who travel. I'd love one for my long flights.

Dini

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:26 pm
k I will let you know Smile

mimimom

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:27 pm
I have a first generation Kindle and it's great. Kindle has access to a LOT more titles than Nook, since Kindle in connected with Amazon.com. There was a review in the WAll Street Journal a while back that ended up preferring the Kindle because it said the Nook was a good idea but it still needed some work done. It may be better by now.
Also, remember that you can get free software from Amazon to read any Kindle book on a netbook/laptop/or many smart phones (I-phone, Blackberry). I often read on my netbook when I have to carry it anyway. You can synch them through Amazon so that when you go back to the other device it knows how far you've read. (The computer software displays in color, too, which is nice.)

Dini

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:34 pm
thanks mimimom, I was favoring the kindle over the nook but then I told dh and he said the nook should be better because it is from a bookstore which will have more titles but it seems that the kindle is better made and has more features as you mentioned...OMG I don't know what to do!

4c

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:37 pm
also look at the prices they each charge per book, a friend mentioned recently that she wished she had known kindle was cheaper per book than what she has.

Dini

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:39 pm
mimi, u had me convinced regarding the kindle and woot.com had it on sale today but it just got all sold out Sad

okay I'm really sad...

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:45 pm
I gave my father a Kindle for his 80th birthday a year ago, and he's become a demonstrator for Amazon. He's spoken with several purchasers who felt the Nook was a "catch-up" device that wasn't as well-developed as the Kindle. For example, you can't search via keyboard for content or publications using the Nook (or at least that was what I was told).

Anyway, the Kindle is well worth the wait, and I'm very, very happy with mine.

mimimom

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 2:51 pm
Not sure what price they had, but Amazon.com has them available (and free shipping.)

Sherri

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 3:03 pm
(Bubby, just curious- how much would it be to reset your ring? Not more than a couple hundred?)

Dini

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 3:14 pm
woot had it for $40 cheaper + $5 shipping

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:27 pm
Reason #1 to never buy a kindle. They can remove books that you paid for without refunding the price you paid. Note the book removed was "1984". Rolling Eyes

http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=632

My brother has an amazing e-book reader, which is way better then the kindle, it also allows you to download free books from online. The kindle really limits what you can do, and the e-books are crazy overpriced. My brother has 2 hard drives full of books for his e-reader, and hasn't paid a dime for any of it. Also his reader uses something called e-ink, which makes it really easy to read, and is not more then a 2 inches larger then a paperback. Also it only uses battery when you turn a page, and can go 2 weeks without a charge. (I think its a sony)

bubby

Post Thu, Jul 01 2010, 11:34 pm
Sherri wrote:
(Bubby, just curious- how much would it be to reset your ring? Not more than a couple hundred?)

For what I want, probably closer to $1000. Sad

re the Kindle - the one I saw was very big & looked heavy & clumsy. Is that right? It was a long time ago, when they first came out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars