Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah baking disaster. (It didn't rise.)

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 10:17 pm
In my last batch of challah, when I finished kneeding the dough, and set it aside it didn't rise at all. (It was set aside for more than three hours. Rather than waste all the ingredients, I decided to bake it anyway. (In retrospect, I did stir the yeast and sugar in the water. I usually don't stir.)

We did try it a bit, but after the first seudah, nobody seemed to want it.

So here are a few questions:

Any idea on why the dough didn't rise? (A friend of mine suggested that the yeast itself was faulty.)

Is there any hope for the bread that did come out of the oven? It is very dense and heavy. Is it bad to eat? Can I do anything with it?

Thanks for all suggestions and insights.

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 10:34 pm
B'h
I had that episode last week when I was stuck in the U.s.
This never happend to me before so one of three things come to mind.
1. WHats the expiration date on the yeast.
2. Did u accidentaly overdose on the flour .
3. Was the water warmer then usual when you put ontop of yeat to dissolve since it should be lukewarm only. The heat can kill it. I think that may be what happend to me

Mommy3.5

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 10:57 pm
Did you use fresh yeast? If yt was fresh, then there is a good chance it was not as fresh as it should have been.

Did you proof the yeast first? If the yeast did not bubble, you should not have added it in to the dough.

I always stir the yeast sugar, that should not have made a difference.

If the water you proofed the yeast in was too hot, you might have killed the yeast. The water needs to be warm, not hot.

Was it very cold in your apartment? Dough does not rise well when it is cold, even if everything else is right.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 5:31 pm
For future, if the dough didn't rise, don't bother baking them unless you want a brick.
You can make a passable pizza base with failed dough. or use as the base for quiche.

(yup, been there, done that... Crying but now I only use instant yeast that needs to rise only once).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen