Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Really want to make take out style chinese food

shirafruma

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:43 pm
I've become a little obsessed with making take out style chinese food at home...

but all the recipes ive seen call for dry sherry and I cant find it anywhere...does anyone have some good recipes to share? thank you!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:48 pm
If you go to the Kosher section at the grocery store (assuming you live in the US and in a decent sized Jewish community), you can find cooking sherry there. In Baltimore, they have it in Walmart in the Kosher section. You can also use dry red or white wine.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:50 pm
Sunshine has a great chinese sauce recipe. You can make it as hot (or not) as you want.
Dip small pieces of chicken breast into batter. Fry. Then heat the sauce until thickened. Pour over chicken.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....auces

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

fiddle

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 4:51 pm
substitute the sherry. I always do.

Substitute for sherry
As a recipe ingredient substitute Balsamic Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar

if I have none of the above - I put wine or grape juice.

healthywoman

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:36 pm
I just use soy sauce and spices to make chinese food.
the rice I also use soup mix. thats how they made it in the restaurant

Mommyof1

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 8:51 pm
I have a really easy recipe using Mikee's General Tso sause. (It's a little bit spicy) Just cut up cutlets however big or small you want them. Dip them in flour and then seer in oil until they are brown, this part takes a little while. Once you browned all the chicken you can pour out any excess oil and then pour in the sauce. Cook for another fifteen minutes. It tastes delicious. You can also use the iron chef general tso sauce which is a little more tamed.

shnitzel

Post Wed, Feb 24 2010, 9:24 pm
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 dash sesame oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chile paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water

1 quart olive oil for frying
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions
1.Sift flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Pour in low-sodium soy sauce, sherry, 2 tablespoons water, vegetable oil, and a dash of sesame oil; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken until coated with the batter, then cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2.Meanwhile, bring chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, chile paste, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Dissolve 1/4 cup cornstarch into 1/2 cup of water, and stir into boiling sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and turns clear, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and keep sauce warm.
3.Heat olive oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to a temperature of 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4.Drop in the battered chicken pieces, a few at a time, and fry until they turn golden brown and float to the top of the oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. To serve, place fried chicken pieces onto a serving platter, and pour the hot sauce overtop. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to garnish.

I made this without the sherry and it was awesome, I even skipped the sesame oil and it was still amazing. You can substitute a dry white wine for sherry.

newatit

Post Thu, Feb 25 2010, 5:41 pm
the cookbooks from "lokshen to lo mein" has some great "authentic" chinese recipes. mmmmm getting hungry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen