Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
The name arya
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 7:57 pm
I wanna give a name plus ARYA,LEIB,YEHUDA and I wanna put it on birth certificate what should I write. I'm gonna call him the diff name but its no good for a dr to call him that way so I want something that not to mature nor babyish that when he is an adult iyh it she be appropiate

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:25 pm
I'm not sure what your question is. Which one of these names you should put on his BC?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 8:38 pm
Arya? You mean Aryeh? My friend has a son Aryeh Leib & she put Ari on the birth certificate.

Ronit

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 9:25 pm
I put my kids regular name on their birth certificates. Not even the english version, or the way we call them.

I've heard of to many problems pple had when different documents had 'different' names & they had to get them changed. This way if I put their whole hebrew name, it keeps it simple for me, & we don't mix it up.

MidwestMommy

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 9:29 pm
Ronit wrote:
I put my kids regular name on their birth certificates. Not even the english version, or the way we call them.

I've heard of to many problems pple had when different documents had 'different' names & they had to get them changed. This way if I put their whole hebrew name, it keeps it simple for me, & we don't mix it up.

I do the same. It keeps things simple.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 5:00 am
Please please don't feminize the name, the kid will be so ashamed.

realeez

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 5:17 am
amother wrote:
I wanna give a name plus ARYA,LEIB,YEHUDA and I wanna put it on birth certificate what should I write. I'm gonna call him the diff name but its no good for a dr to call him that way so I want something that not to mature nor babyish that when he is an adult iyh it she be appropiate

Why on earth not?

We have an Aryeh and no one has ever had a serious problem pronouncing it. All my kids have Jewish names on their birth certificate that are relatively easy to pronounce and we've never had issues. It's not like it's not obvious by the yarmulkah on their head that they are Jewish whether or not their name on their birth certificate is Jewish!

anonymom

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 5:26 am
Ari is easy and heard of in the secular world. It does not sound babyish because lots of adults go around with it.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 5:44 am
I have a son named yechiel so when my husband went to write him in it was on the day of the bris so I was so confused I told him He has to write chili (that's how we call him). The people there couldn't believe why on earth we should give such a name!!!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 6:06 am
Once again I'm going to express my disappointment in people who insist on hiding the beautiful Jewish names they chose for their children just so some random stranger can pronounce it...

If you're naming your son Aryeh Leib Yehuda (IMO Aryeh Yehudah Leib or Yehudah Aryeh Leib rolls off the tongue better) that's what his birth certificate should say.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 6:16 am
To some the Jewish name is too holy to be used by non Jews (and for some, even by anyone out of Torah alia/ketuba/tehillim).

Isramom8

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 6:48 am
How about Judah?

We are in Israel. One of our kids was named after a relative, the Hebrew name. But the relative was called by an English name, so that's what we wanted to put on the birth certificate. However, the law in EY is that the American birth certificate must have an exact translation of the given name on the Israeli birth certificate. Therefore we couln't use a name like Judah, but you can.

hadasa

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 7:07 am
Ruchel wrote:
To some the Jewish name is too holy to be used by non Jews (and for some, even by anyone out of Torah alia/ketuba/tehillim).

That's what the "Leib" is for.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 7:16 am
hadasa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Totally right in the beginning, when it was a secular name. Now it has become Jewish and has the sanctity of Yiddish language and as such many people who hold like that will not even use Leib with non jews either.

hadasa

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 8:24 am
Ruchel wrote:
hadasa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Totally right in the beginning, when it was a secular name. Now it has become Jewish and has the sanctity of Yiddish language and as such many people who hold like that will not even use Leib with non jews either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "Leib" (or Ber, Volf etc.) was ever a secular name. It is the Yiddish/German translation of the Hebrew name, but as a name, I think it was exclusively Jewish. It's like calling your child Lion, Bear or Wolf, not Leonard, Barry or William. And since the whole purpose of adding a Yiddish translation was not to use the Lashon Hakodesh, I don't quite understand why it's not secular enough now. I wonder if those who think that way are just looking for a reason to use a name that "blends in".

elf123

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 8:50 am
The OP has not been back to respond, but her original post was worded in a very confusing way. For some reason, I get the impression that she's saying that there's ANOTHER name she wants to give before Aryeh Leib Yehudah, and THAT'S the name she seems to be concerned about the dr. (not sure why the dr. in particular, but whatever) not being able to say? pronounce? etc. Maybe she can come back and clear it up. If you re-read the original post, it is very hard to understand what she is asking. Or maybe it's just me. LOL

chaylizi

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 9:41 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Once again I'm going to express my disappointment in people who insist on hiding the beautiful Jewish names they chose for their children just so some random stranger can pronounce it...

If you're naming your son Aryeh Leib Yehuda (IMO Aryeh Yehudah Leib or Yehudah Aryeh Leib rolls off the tongue better) that's what his birth certificate should say.

All my kids have their given names on their birth certificate, sort of. My oldest is called by both names & they are both on her bc, my second dd has only one name & it has a ches & it's still on her bc. My son though has 3 names. His name is Chaim Dov Eliezer & is called Dovy. The name on his bc is Dov.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:00 am
hadasa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
hadasa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "Leib" (or Ber, Volf etc.) was ever a secular name. It is the Yiddish/German translation of the Hebrew name, but as a name, I think it was exclusively Jewish. It's like calling your child Lion, Bear or Wolf, not Leonard, Barry or William. And since the whole purpose of adding a Yiddish translation was not to use the Lashon Hakodesh, I don't quite understand why it's not secular enough now. I wonder if those who think that way are just looking for a reason to use a name that "blends in".

There were definitely non Jewish Leibs and Bers and Hersh and Volf (this one still used today).

The people who think even Yiddish is too holy are often the shtark chassidish type. Let's be dan lkaf zechus they don't care about fitting it.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
I have a son named yechiel so when my husband went to write him in it was on the day of the bris so I was so confused I told him He has to write chili (that's how we call him). The people there couldn't believe why on earth we should give such a name!!!!

You can change his legal name. Maybe you should do it now before it impacts him personally. If you go for Anglicizing and he wasn't named after Zeide Howard, etc., maybe Kyle? Otherwise, considering we have a president Barack, Yechiel is just fine.

hadasa

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 3:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
hadasa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
hadasa wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

There were definitely non Jewish Leibs and Bers and Hersh and Volf (this one still used today).

The people who think even Yiddish is too holy are often the shtark chassidish type. Let's be dan lkaf zechus they don't care about fitting it.

Ok, I stand corrected about the German/Yiddish names being exclusively Jewish. About the Chassidishe businessmen using non-Jewish names in the corporate world - I'm familiar with that, but I assumed it was a relic from times when it was legally problematic to have a non-English name on the BC, and in certain communities it just continued because that was what they used to do. I'd like to hear from some Chassidishe women here their take on that.
I don't know about other countries, but in the Soviet Union, until about fifty-sixty years ago, Jews had their Jewish names on their BC's.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names