Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for therapist going on maternity leave?

GAMZu

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 10:47 pm
She has worked with my baby for 1/2 year and will be taking a few months off- from Pesach till the next school year. She will IY"H return to work with my baby.
Question- what kind of gift do I get?
Should I get something to use in therapy? She has a book that she uses a lot- a popular feely book that is tattered and worn. The baby doll she uses is missing a hand. Is it my place to get replacements for these? If it's acceptable, I'll probably get some chocolates as well to go along- more personal.

Or do I get something she will use for herself? I don't know her that well, though.
Help! She is only staying till Pesach, so I have limited time to get a gift together.

neverbored

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 10:50 pm
How about a gift certificate to a place like teachers edition or funthinks etc? Let her decide on her own what she wants to replace.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 11:27 pm
I'll consider that... I know FunThinks is the best therapy resource locally, but that's not close to me that I can just come in and get the certificate.
If getting something for therapy isn't inappropriate, I would rather get the two specific items I mentioned. Unless that would imply that I am busy assessing the condition of her materials...

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 07 2010, 11:41 pm
GAMZu wrote:
I'll consider that... I know FunThinks is the best therapy resource locally, but that's not close to me that I can just come in and get the certificate.
If getting something for therapy isn't inappropriate, I would rather get the two specific items I mentioned. Unless that would imply that I am busy assessing the condition of her materials...

call them, they might be able to mail you a gift certificate.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Mar 14 2010, 11:35 pm
Maternity leave usually indicates getting something purely for the new mother and/or her own baby.
That's what I would do (and will most likely do when one of ds's service providers takes maternity leave in a few months)

GAMZu

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 11:10 pm
Yes, I thought so, but maybe that's too personal... and I'm not as "close" to her as to some of the other therapists- meaning I don't know anything about her personal life (as I do with the others, somewhat.)

In any case, I ended up ordering a personalized notepad from Shutterfly, and will give it with a box of chocolates.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 11:48 pm
For future reference. . . speaking as a therapist here, I know that I and many of my colleagues would really appreciate a parent buying new toys for us to use. I've received donations in the past of gently used toys from parents whose kids have outgrown those toys, and even some new ones, and it's always a nice surprise. There's no reason for a therapist to be insulted because you noticed that a doll is missing a hand. . .

Anyway, I think it's very nice that you're making an extra effort to express your appreciation to the therapist. It's parents like you who keep us going Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics