Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need wisdom teeth pulled no dental insurance
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:46 am
Does it pay for me to sign up for a dental plan to get two teeth pulled? I understand that it would cost be about $1500 to pay out of pocket, will a dental plan cover this, and if yes, which plan?
I am desperate I am in agony.

bluebird

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:54 am
I'm sorry but I don't have any advice on insurance. However, some areas have dental clinics that are free or charge based on a sliding scale. I would urge you to explore this possibility. If you post where you live someone from here might be able to recommend a clinic.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:56 am
I am in Lakewood the only clinic is Chemed and they won't take new patients and they don't have an oral surgeon anyways .
Anyone have any ideas?

LoveMy2Kids

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:57 am
Double check you health insurance. My wisdom teeth were impacted, so my health insurance covered all of it.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 11:59 am
Dr. Hertz on Ocean and Kings Hwy charged 550 a teeth last time I was there so ya I guess its about 11-1200$.
The thing is that most dental plans that I know will only pay UP to a certain amount (1000$ a year?)
You have to decide if it's even worth it to pay the premiums and then you'll still have to pay for any work over that amount.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 12:26 pm
Some dental plans make you WAIT for service, too. You don't want that.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 12:29 pm
Go to Israel and get your dental work done there! Last year, my husband needed a root canal and crown done. We got an estimate of 2000 dollars. He bought a plane ticket for 1000 (needed to go visit his parents anyway) and got all his dental work done for $250.00!!!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 12:30 pm
TriesToBePerfectMom wrote:
Go to Israel and get your dental work done there! Last year, my husband needed a root canal and crown done. We got an estimate of 2000 dollars. He bought a plane ticket for 1000 (needed to go visit his parents anyway) and got all his dental work done for $250.00!!!

That is too funny!! How did he know the dentist was good. Truth is, if its $1500 I can go to Israel for that price. Now you are making me want to find a better option even more.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 12:33 pm
Did you check into any dental schools? My friend had hers taken out at a dental school in Baltimore. DH had his taken out recently - we had dental insurance and it was still expensive. One tooth wasn't even covered.

GetReal

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:13 pm
My wisdom teeth were also covered by my health insurance.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:16 pm
GetReal wrote:

Do you have Medicaid or dental insurance?
ALso, sometimes if it's done a certain way, some insurances will cover it as it is considered a surgical procedure.

WriterMom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:18 pm
Our dental plan doesn't cover preventative wisdom tooth extractions ("it might lead to problems down the road") but does if it's become a medical problem. Mine were suspected of causing migraines, so I got a doctor's note to that effect and it was 80% covered. So it's important to determine if you can get such a letter (sounds like you should qualify) and if that makes a difference in terms of coverage, for the plan you're looking at.

WriterMom

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:28 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
GetReal wrote:

Do you have Medicaid or dental insurance?
ALso, sometimes if it's done a certain way, some insurances will cover it as it is considered a surgical procedure.

Good point - my cousin in Montreal found out that government healthcare will not pay for it if it's done in a dental office with local anesthetic, but will if it's done with IV anesthetic in a clinic or hospital. So guess where she had it done? Silly rule, it costs the system more that way ...

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:33 pm
OP I do have medicaid here in NJ .
How can I get them to cover it?

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:36 pm
Do you have Americhoice? What health plan under MCD?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:38 pm
Yup Americhoice NJ

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:39 pm
Americhoice covers it.
You just need to find an oral surgeon that accepts Americhoice.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:40 pm
Americhoice NY covers it, not Americhoice NJ

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:47 pm
NJ Americhoice only covers it if you are pregnant

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 1:48 pm
Oh, I am sorry for the misinformation. I asssumed that if ACNY covers it, ACNJ also does.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics