Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Advise from an obese woman

amother

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:04 pm
I am obese, unfortunatelly not to bothered about it, therefore people seem quite comfortable talking about weight around me. however this week I had the most ironic conversation possible.
a very skinny woman had a baby and indeed gained some weight. she is still way skinnier than average. but I do understand that it might bother her, and therefore listened to her complaining very seriously and encouraged her, saying she looks beautiful and dosen't have to lose weight, however if she's uncomfortable about the few extra kilos she should have much mazal loosing it. that's when it got weird, she started asking me for tips and encouragement...but very intensely....
did she not realize she shouldn't do anything like me... if she dosen't want to end up obese???
some people are weirder than others

prettyone

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:08 pm
maybe she thinks that you have experience with dieting because you battle your weight.

but yeah that is funny

louche

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 10:10 am
I admire both the fact that you are comfortable with your weight and your ability to sympathize and relate to a woman who really does not need to slim down, rather than dismissing her concerns.

Just wondering...are you clinically obese or just weigh more than the charts say you should? It is possible to be "overweight" and still fit, shapely and healthy. Large-size models, like the ones for Just My Size lingerie, come to mind.

mommalah

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 10:37 am
Being obese does not mean you have no knowledge on the topic of weight loss. You can know how to lose wight but just for whatever reason not be able to put it to practice. I'm sure there are overweight nutritionists out there.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 12:00 pm
mommalah wrote:
Being obese does not mean you have no knowledge on the topic of weight loss. You can know how to lose wight but just for whatever reason not be able to put it to practice. I'm sure there are overweight nutritionists out there.

100% true. I probably know as much as any nutritionist out there despite my failure to be successful over the years. (Haven't ever seen an overweight nutritionist though - can't imagine that would be good for business, lol!)
Anyhow, that not withstanding, I agree with OP that it was rather odd and ironic that this woman went to her for advice. People are indeed weird.

louche

Post Tue, Mar 09 2010, 1:40 pm
I don't find it odd at all. In my experience, heavy people have a lot of experience and knowledge about weight control, they just have a hard time applying it and sticking to it. It's the naturally thin people who haven't a clue, who will say "what's the big deal, just eat less and exercise more" or "just stop at one scoop of ice cream, you don't have to eat the whole carton."

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 8:47 pm
I don't think it's weird at all.
Just because I am extremely overweight doesn't mean I do not KNOW what I need to do to lose weight.
Its re4ally not profound:

EAT LESS
MOVE MORE

I actually have an audition scheduled for a new TV show about weight loss scheduled with my friend. We will go as a team. The only problem is she works for FOX.

People aren't fat because they don't know what to do. We just arent WILLING to do the work it takes to make the changes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise