Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you give something else to eat?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:36 pm
Normally if any of my kids don't like the food I made, I might let them have a sandwich that they have to make and clean up. Tonight my 7 yo ds didn't want the food, which was macaroni, not because he doesn't like it, but because he had spaghetti for lunch. I told him that he can have a fruit because of why he didn't want the food, but in the end, he ate some of the macaroni.

I was wondering what others might do in that sort of situation where the child just doesn't want that food for whatever reason besides not liking it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 4:42 pm
Having been a picky eater myself, I give choices. Not elaborate, though.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 5:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Having been a picky eater myself, I give choices. Not elaborate, though.

This kid is a very unpicky eater. He's had food in his plate that he didn't love, but he finished it. He doesn't eat like a pig either, he's very skinny, but not too.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 7:44 pm
I think it's ok to give a choice. what if the kid comes home fleishig ?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 8:07 pm
My kids always come home fleishig. They only serve milichig once a week in school. My kids want milichig every night, anyway. Only my dd waits 6 hours, so either she waits or just has pareve. I don't give choices because I know what my kids eat and don't, for the most part.

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 7:46 am
Oy, I have this problem as well. I have three kids who all eat reasonably well -- but different things!

Kid 1 will eat most vegetables, some fruit, but no fish at all and doesn't like meat (will eat some chicken).
Kid 2 loves meatballs, eats only the fruits or veggies that I 'make' her eat, and likes fish(sticks).
Kid 3 will eat any vegetable I put in front of him, no fruits except raisins, and fish/chicken/meat -- usually.

I make ONE dinner. If I know part of the dinner won't appeal to one of the kids (I.e. fish) I make a small replacement (usually beans sauteed with onion and corn) for Kid 1 to replace the protein.

Otherwise, if a child really can't bring himself or herself to eat what's offered, that child can make a peanut butter sandwich or have pita and chumus instead (they have to eat some kind of veggie or fruit at every meal).

Usually this works but sometimes I get Exploding anger when everyone rejects a meal I know they have LOVED in the past and are just davka rejecting. Sigh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children