Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ayla
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 10:41 pm
I love the sound of this name but have heard conflicting translations.
1) Tree - like a female version of Alon
2) Deer - like another form of Ayala
Does anyone know the true meaning of the name?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 10:43 pm
I think Ilana/Elana/Alana would be the feminine version of Alon/Ilan.

Ayala/Ayelet is deer or gazelle.

6coop

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 10:51 pm
Alon and Ayla both mean an oak tree.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 11:02 pm
Well according to my Hebrew-English dictionary, Ayala (fem) is a doe, Ilan (masc) is a tree and Alon (masc) is an oak.

There is no word/name Ayla (pronouncing the first syllable either as an AY or an IY) listed in the dictionary.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 11:11 pm
OP here...
A friend of mine has this really freaky book written in Hebrew that basically spells out the nature of a person based on his/her name. I say freaky because it's been pretty accurate.
Anyways, that book lists Ayla as a name and it says really nice things about the personality of a girl names Ayla — someone strong and consistent, someone who can be relied upon. The personality seems to more reflect an "oak tree" but I haven't been able to find a sure source that that is the real meaning.

shevi82

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 11:35 pm
Quote:
Ayala/Ayelet is deer or gazelle.

Actually Ayelet is Simchut,(it's like the name Malka would be Malkat) meaning it is part of the full name Ayelet hashachar.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 20 2010, 10:22 pm
Has anyone here ever heard of this name?

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Mar 20 2010, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Has anyone here ever heard of this name?

Which name?

'Ayla' is actually the main character in the Clan of the Cave Bear series.

But I think most of us have been working on the assumption that it's simply a misspelling of Ayala

amother

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 10:38 pm
OP here...
No Ayla is not Ayala... it's like Bayla without the B. Spelled aleph-lamed-hey.
I have heard of one girl with this name.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Mar 21 2010, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
OP here...
No Ayla is not Ayala... it's like Bayla without the B. Spelled aleph-lamed-hey.
I have heard of one girl with this name.

Aleph-lamed-hey isn't listed in the book I have. Ayin-lamed-aleph and ayin-lamed-hey are and it's a derivation of Ele... and you're most likely not going to like the etymology of the name.

Quote:
Borrowed from Germany from Christians who used it in the forms of Ella and Elle.

Now the name Ayle is a derivation of the name Eydl, which is Yiddish for noble.

amother

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 12:17 pm
bump

cubbie

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 12:32 pm
I know someone who named their daughter Ayla, it was the first time I heard of the name, I'll ask her when I see her.

amother

Post Wed, May 05 2010, 12:58 pm
cubbie wrote:
I know someone who named their daughter Ayla, it was the first time I heard of the name, I'll ask her when I see her.

Thank you... please do!

mae1984

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:20 am
My daughter is , אלה
pronounced in English as Ella.
It means oak tree or terebinth (no idea what that is) tree in hebrew.
We chose the name for a few reasons, one we both loved it, we wanted somethign a little more unique, it's pronounced the same in english and in hebrew.
With regards to the meaning, I want all my children to have names with strong imagery - an oak tree is big, tall, has strong roots, it has a sense of permanence.
Incidently, after we chose the name but while I was still pregnant my Mother told me that her Aunt who had died childless was called Ella.
(For the record, my daughters middle name is Odelia after my Grandmother who's name in Yiddish was Oodles)

freidasima

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:25 am
Isn't "oodles" actually "hudel" which is "yehudit"?
Anyhow your daughter has beautiful names!

I, too, saw the title and said "clan of the cave bear".
Well she was strong too, wasn't she?
Too bad the author never wrote the last volume, or did she and I missed it? There were originally supposed to be six...I followed them for years.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:26 am
Yup, can be Hudel (Yehudit or Hadassah), or Udel (Eidel or Adel).

freidasima

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:35 am
Ruchel you are right! You do know language well. Udel, forgot that, wasn't she the Baal Shem Tov's daughter?

mae1984

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:35 am
We didn't know that! We derived it more semantically (sp?), we said "Oodel" then "Odel" then "Odelia!" I believe the meanings are the same, thanks to God, and the fact that they are very similar is nice too, my father is from a very small family so I think it's nice that they name is very obvious. To be honest, he didn't even expect us to use it as it is... let's say... old fashioned!

Thanks for the compliments!

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:36 am
She was. I love the name (and Eidel too). IYH if I use all family names... lol

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 4:50 am
Eyla is not an uמcommon name and it's even tanachi. You can view it here http://www.shemli.co.il/hebnam.....ID=56
Google translation:

Hebrew name: אלה
English name: Ela, Elah
Meaning of the name:
1. Anacardiaceae family tree type some common species in Israel , "under a white oak and, for better shadow" Hosea D. XIII. 2. biblical figure - those Ben Baasha, king of the Kingdom of Israel from 883 to 882 BC. rose monarchy after the death of his father, Baasha king of Israel , "in twenty-six years, Asa king of Judah: son of these - Baasha on - Israel Kings Zain Khan.

Origin of name: Bible
relations:
International:
Numerology Value: 36
The numerical value: 9

Click to enlarge
Numerology Analysis: people with high verbal expression ability, gifted with understanding and intuition, charismatic and wide attention. Have a tendency to renew renew itself, dynamic, supportive and understanding. Often they think of others rather than themselves, they have the strength, kindness, sympathy, generosity. Support, help and direct. Brimming with confidence but sometimes wrong. They may suffer talkative, irritability, sarcasm, stubbornness and domineering
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names