Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Please help me test my website.
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 12:51 pm
Sorry to be anon, you all know me here, but I am putting a link to very personal info.

I just finished creating a website for my home business. I give art classes to children in my basement, and I am having trouble advertising. I am hoping with a website to direct people to, I can take advantage of smaller ads and perhaps email marketing as well.

I have never done any web building before, I don't know the first thing about HTML, but I have managed to put a site together. Please go on it if you have time, let me know if you have any suggestions, critiques, improvements, broken links, whatever. All comments, even the negative ones, are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chani Shapiro.

http://www.learnartwithchani.com

preempservices

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:04 pm
Looks nice, best of luck. Everything I clicked on linked properly - I use Firefox.
IMHO pages loaded too slowly - you might want to look in to that.
Computer literature says the way to increase exposure is to 1 -blog, 2-get other blogs to mention AND link to you.

onlyme

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:05 pm
I checked it out, it's working great. Just spent a few seconds on it, so didn't really browse through all the artwork and stuff, but the little I did see was adorable!

Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:13 pm
Thank you so much for the feedback so far.

I know the pages take a while to load. I would like to make them go faster, but I have to figure out how. I have experience with Adobe Illustrator and happen to own CS3. I created every page as an image that I saved as a png and then created hotlinks on top of the image. I am sure there are better ways. I really wanted to be fully running before Pesach. After Pesach I plan on getting a book on Dreamweaver and actually learning what the program is capable of doing.

Would you say that the loading is so slow you wouldn't want to look at all the pages because of it? Is this something I need to take care of ASAP?

momaholic

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:36 pm
I just went on it. yes the pages were a bit slow but, I think its a site well done! I think its really creative and cute!
if u can check into the speed would be helpful but, it was definitely not too slow

best of luck!

curlytop

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:45 pm
You make no mention of the city that you are in...

momaholic

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:47 pm
under "our studio" is the location

Ariellush

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:51 pm
Wow,
Such a beautiful site. And your little students are so creative! Good luck and keep up the good work!

merelyme

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 1:56 pm
Correct spelling of perseverance on page "about Chani."
That's as far as I got.

Fox

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 2:11 pm
Wow! This was really excellent! I didn't find that the pages loaded slowly, but I have a T1, so I'm probably not a typical user.

You should also consider marketing yourself as a web designer, too! Lots of web designers want to overkill -- make a hugely complicated, expensive site for a relatively simple purpose. This does the job perfectly!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 2:29 pm
merelyme wrote:
Correct spelling of perseverance on page "about Chani."
That's as far as I got.

Fixed, thank you.

chillax

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 2:42 pm
On the our studio page: I think it's because of the shadow effect but I find it a little hard to read, especially the red address part.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 3:07 pm
Fox wrote:
Wow! This was really excellent! I didn't find that the pages loaded slowly, but I have a T1, so I'm probably not a typical user.

You should also consider marketing yourself as a web designer, too! Lots of web designers want to overkill -- make a hugely complicated, expensive site for a relatively simple purpose. This does the job perfectly!

Thank you for the compliment. I am a firm believer that form must follow function. My designs tend to lean to the simple.

I have done much graphic design work over the years, but there have been few instances where I actually loved, or even liked, what I was doing. I am not good a constant self promotion and at times I struggle to meet deadlines.

But I love, love, love to paint (and draw and sculpt.) I also love painting with kids. I love to take a child who thinks they can't do something and show them how to do it. I had one student recently say to me that she can't believe the painting she did came from her hands. She was in awe of her abilities, and this from a girl who told me at the first lesson that she had no talent at all.

It would be a dream for me to actually make money doing something I love.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 3:18 pm
chillax wrote:
On the our studio page: I think it's because of the shadow effect but I find it a little hard to read, especially the red address part.

Is it better now?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 7:04 pm
curlytop wrote:
You make no mention of the city that you are in...

momaholic wrote:
under "our studio" is the location

Should I make it more prominent? Should the address also be at the bottom of the home page?

yummydd

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:38 pm
Beautiful website! Much hatzlacha!

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:50 pm
HELP!!!
I need your help setting up a we3b site... Can you PM me and tell me how to go about designing and setting one up...
THANKS!!!

elf123

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 9:01 pm
The word "pomegranate" is spelled wrong in the title of one of the paintings.

jflower

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 9:30 pm
Looks great! I clicked on most of the links, but didn't get to 2 on the left because of the time it took to load the pages.

Your website is very informative, and anyone looking at it will know just what you have to offer. I was wondering if you would consider driving instructions (ex: from Brooklyn) as there might be people who have no idea how to get to you. Best of luck!

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:17 pm
Great site! Easy to navigate, Loading was not slow for me, Nicely set up.
Hard to read (still) your email address on the picture.
I like how you don't have too much info to get lost in.

Enjoy your classes!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers