Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Please help me test my website.
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:24 pm
Three things:

1) Where you have the classes - the first two go by ages and the last goes by grade. I would make it consistent.

2)Really cute website

3) I live 1/2 block from you. Who are you Smile

Atali

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:29 pm
Very nice! I'm impressed.

One suggestion would be to center the website in the middle of the screen. It shows up on the far left of my screen (in Chrome)

amother

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 10:30 pm
Awesome site!

Can you center the page?

I think a bit of color on the background of the first page would be great.

Lots of luck.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 11:11 pm
PRETTY PLEASE???
Help me figure out how to START setting up a web site.
Is there a book to read?
Something?
Aaaaaaanything???

bnm

Post Tue, Mar 16 2010, 11:19 pm
1-your text is part of the image, it shouldn't be unless its decorative or a font that most people won't have on their computer
2-background images make the page load slower
3-center the pages
4-dreamweaver is easy-get a tutorial book from the libary

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 11:21 am
Thank you everyone for your feedback so far. I have this huge spurt of enery today, so I am trying to stay away from the computer and get a ton of Pesach prep done. But I will be back on later today to work on all the suggestions and answer your questions. I know we ladies are all so busy this close to Pesach, so the time you all took to look at my site and help out a total stranger, well you have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 11:24 am
enery=energy
embarrassed But I think it is obvious at this point that I am an atrocious speller.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:28 pm
elf123 wrote:
The word "pomegranate" is spelled wrong in the title of one of the paintings.

Fixed, thank you.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:32 pm
jmom26 wrote:
Looks great! I clicked on most of the links, but didn't get to 2 on the left because of the time it took to load the pages.

Your website is very informative, and anyone looking at it will know just what you have to offer. I was wondering if you would consider driving instructions (ex: from Brooklyn) as there might be people who have no idea how to get to you. Best of luck!

I am working on replacing my images with 70 dpi instead of 300. It should make the pages load faster.

Under the 'our studio' link where it shows the address, I have it linking to google maps. If someone clicks on the address it will open a page with my studio as the destination address. Should I make it more obvious that the feature is available? How do I write it?

Plonis

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 7:52 pm
Underlined text or text in a different color is generally recognized as being a link.

Also, use 72 dpi better than 70 dpi.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 8:11 pm
looks great! I would send my kids to you if I lived nearby. One or two of the links didn't work - when you look at a flyer it says click here to register and that didn't work.

Just a suggestion, if you have time or energy - make a class for adults too.

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 8:25 pm
amother wrote:
jmom26 wrote:
Looks great! I clicked on most of the links, but didn't get to 2 on the left because of the time it took to load the pages.

Your website is very informative, and anyone looking at it will know just what you have to offer. I was wondering if you would consider driving instructions (ex: from Brooklyn) as there might be people who have no idea how to get to you. Best of luck!

I am working on replacing my images with 70 dpi instead of 300. It should make the pages load faster.

Under the 'our studio' link where it shows the address, I have it linking to google maps. If someone clicks on the address it will open a page with my studio as the destination address. Should I make it more obvious that the feature is available? How do I write it?

300 dpi is for print, 72-90 for web. that should make a major difference. let me know when it's done and I'll go look again.

(btw I took Web Design 101 as part of my desktop publishing class, that's where I know this info from)

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 9:06 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
HELP!!!
I need your help setting up a we3b site... Can you PM me and tell me how to go about designing and setting one up...
THANKS!!!

I still don't actually know what I'm doing. My site is being hosted by web.com. They do have some templates available, depending on what you need to do it may work for you.

I am using Dreamweaver to create my pages. It is fairly easy to use, but I am only doing the most basic at the moment. It costs two to three hundred dollars I believe. I got it included as part of an upgrade package that I purchased for other software I use.

I am doing the most basic of basic. I have no idea how to center each page. I don't know how to make text and graphics work together and line up properly on various browsers, that's why I have all my text as a graphic for now. It is far from ideal, but it works for now.

As bnm suggested, I plan to get a book on Dreamweaver from the library for after Pesach. I would assume there are some books that teach how to set up a website. I wish I could be more help.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 9:15 pm
bnm wrote:
300 dpi is for print, 72-90 for web. that should make a major difference. let me know when it's done and I'll go look again.

(btw I took Web Design 101 as part of my desktop publishing class, that's where I know this info from)

I have only done print work till now; how was I to know? That's why I appreciate all the advice.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
Three things:

1) Where you have the classes - the first two go by ages and the last goes by grade. I would make it consistent.

I try to divide my classes by ability. It is frustrating for students who cannot keep up and those being held back. From past experience, I get a more homogenous group when I divide them by age rather than grade. But for the accessory class, it is more a fun class that can accomodate a wider range of abilities. I would rather let the students group by grade level for that one. I would take a 6yo first grader or a 10yo 3rd grader, but ages 6-10 turns off the older and younger students and 7-9 doesn't really include everyone I would like to.

Quote:
2)Really cute website

Thank you.

Quote:
3) I live 1/2 block from you. Who are you Smile

On 73rd? Where do your kids go to school?

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 10:45 pm
this is from dreamweaver's help thingy:
it has a good search option, put in what you want, it will tell you how to do it

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Optional) Center the contents of the page
Lastly, you’ll use the tag selector to select all of the HTML in the document, and center the document’s contents.

NOTE

Some browsers (such as Internet Explorer 6), center the page’s text within the context of the table cells when you use the method described in this section. If you don’t like how this looks when you preview the page in the browser, you might want to skip this section, and leave the contents of your page aligned left.

With the index.html page open in the Document window, click the <body> tag in the tag selector.

Clicking the <body> tag selects everything between the open and close <body> tags in the Document window. To see the selection, click Code view at the top of the Document window.

In the Property inspector (Window > Properties), click the Align Center button.

Dreamweaver inserts CSS <div> tags that center the body content of the page. In Design view, a dotted line borders the area that the <div> tags center.

Save the page.
Your page is now finished. The last task of building your website is to publish the page. To publish the page, you must define a folder on a remote site and upload your files to that folder. For instructions, continue to the next tutorial.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View comments on LiveDocs

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 10:53 pm
Raisin wrote:
looks great! I would send my kids to you if I lived nearby.

The first thing I looked for was your location, too bad you don't live in lkwd, I would totally send my dd to you.

The site looks amazing. The site came up on the left side of my screen like some others said. My pages loaded normally not slow. I would put the location on the main page, it was the first thing I looked for and I had to click around to find it.

Looks great. Good Luck

leomom

Post Wed, Mar 17 2010, 11:34 pm
I think it's nice overall and you are obviously a great art teacher (and artist)!

My notes:

1. The pages did load very slowly for me (using Safari). I guess you are already working on that.

2. I would put a horizontal row of text links on the top of every page that let you go to all the other pages from wherever you are -- so you don't always have to go back to the home page first. (The links would have the same text as the ones on your home page.)

3. When you want to get a little fancier, it would be nice if you could integrate the gallery with your site rather than hosting it on Flickr.

4. I really like your easel logo.

5. On the home page, the "m" with a circle around it (in one of the links) is a bit distracting, since that's the only place where you use that design element. I think it calls too much attention to itself and seems like it should mean something significant. (Wait... does it? Smile) I would either leave it out or incorporate more circles at other random places!

Hatzlacha with your business. I'm sure you will be successful. What kind of animation do you teach?)

amother

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 12:05 am
yy wrote:
I think it's nice overall and you are obviously a great art teacher (and artist)!

Thank you.

Quote:
My notes:

1. The pages did load very slowly for me (using Safari). I guess you are already working on that.

2. I would put a horizontal row of text links on the top of every page that let you go to all the other pages from wherever you are -- so you don't always have to go back to the home page first. (The links would have the same text as the ones on your home page.)

I was thinking about doing that, but I thought, since there are so few pages in all, it wasn't really necessary. But if you think it would make the site friendlier, I will add that to my post-Pesach-to-do list.

Quote:
3. When you want to get a little fancier, it would be nice if you could integrate the gallery with your site rather than hosting it on Flickr.

I actually found a great program to do this but DH (who is sick and tired of fixing my computer) has made me promise not to download anything without his prior approval. Again, on the after Pesach list. Flickr is definitely a temporary measure.

Quote:
4. I really like your easel logo.

I borrowed it from Publisher. I had a lot of fun with the font treatments.

Quote:
5. On the home page, the "m" with a circle around it (in one of the links) is a bit distracting, since that's the only place where you use that design element. I think it calls too much attention to itself and seems like it should mean something significant. (Wait... does it? Smile) I would either leave it out or incorporate more circles at other random places!

I was planning to incorporate random circles all over, but the first "m" was such a pain, I dropped the idea. Now it sits there taunting me.

Quote:
Hatzlacha with your business. I'm sure you will be successful. What kind of animation do you teach?)

I teach very old school animation. I start with some basic principles and have projects to enforce the ideas. For example I start off by introducing the idea of persistence of vision and then have each student construct a thaumatrope. The main goal of the class is to create a flipbook from concept to storyboard to completion.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 18 2010, 12:32 am
mominlkwd wrote:
Raisin wrote:
looks great! I would send my kids to you if I lived nearby.

The first thing I looked for was your location, too bad you don't live in lkwd, I would totally send my dd to you.

The site looks amazing. The site came up on the left side of my screen like some others said. My pages loaded normally not slow. I would put the location on the main page, it was the first thing I looked for and I had to click around to find it.

Looks great. Good Luck

Thank you so much. I added my contact info including address to the bottom of the home page.

If you know anybody in Queens send them my way Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers